Opportunity to use a dock for few days but boat's always been trailered

tommybro31

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Opportunity to use a dock for few days but boat's always been trailered

I generally always trailer mine, but I was able to stay a week at a lake house same as you over the 4th of July. I was Pouring rain the first day, like torrential rain for about 3 hours. I too was nervous about the boat and couldn't go out because it was lightning out.
In the morning there was a good amount of water in the boat but I just flicked on the bildge pump and in less than a half an hour it was all out.

I do plan on getting one with a float but the manual should do just fine.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I am astounded that these boats don't have bilge pumps. Seriously.

I've kept my boats in the water all my life. Your bilge pump won't wear down your battery after a storm, or from a slow leak. If it does you have bigger problems. And most storms won't sink a boat overnight.

Get the float switch that is inside a small box (no not the cardboard one it comes in) so you don't have to worry about something laying on top of it.

It should be mounted solid so it won't fall over.

If you don't have time to install a thru-hull for the hose, tie it off over the side at night, but tie it well. If you are cutting a hole, put it up high.

Remember they are not made to come on with the first drop of water, but with a build-up; this saves the battery.
You might be able to get the float and/or pump up under the floor so it's not in the way of your plug. I had that on a 16' starcraft.

jmarty10

Chief Petty Officer

Boats are made to be in the water. Use the dock and enjoy the ultimate in convenience and ease for a few days.

Here is my so called predicament. I live two blocks away from a river where we boat. Currently i keep my boat at marina 20 minutes away and do in and out service where boat is kept on the trailer. I have a friend that will permanently let me use one side of his dock. I'm a little nervous about keeping boat on water. I have a good snap on cover and a bilge pump controlled by a switch. I'm worried about growth on bottom. But, man having that boat on water so close to my house where I could walk each night to use boat is killing me. I think it may be time to just go for it!

mike64

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I generally always trailer mine, but I was able to stay a week at a lake house same as you over the 4th of July. I was Pouring rain the first day, like torrential rain for about 3 hours. I too was nervous about the boat and couldn't go out because it was lightning out.
In the morning there was a good amount of water in the boat but I just flicked on the bildge pump and in less than a half an hour it was all out.

I do plan on getting one with a float but the manual should do just fine.

Thanks for the first-hand "worst case" story. That definitely makes me feel like with a bilge pump I'll have no problem no matter what weather.

...If you don't have time to install a thru-hull for the hose, tie it off over the side at night, but tie it well. If you are cutting a hole, put it up high...

Home Cookin', yeah I didn't want to mess with cutting a hole in the next few days. I was thinking of routing the hose thru the splashwell drain hole temporarily.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Marty put your boat in the water and enjoy it. Pull it every couple of weeks to clean the bottom if you have to (depends on where you are and if you are anal about your lilly white bottom).
Boats seldom sink from rain; they sink from incorrect mooring. I see it all the time. Get good advice from your dock owner in that regard.
But I know the nervous feeling. I often stay on an island, completely empty, where my only way off is that one boat tied to the piers outside. I'd leave the lights on, look out the window every half hour and get no sleep even in fair weather. You'll get used to it.

jmarty10

Chief Petty Officer

the slip is not in a no wake zone so on busy days it may get a little choppy. The slip has three cleats secured into wood really well. yep - it may be time to go for it. And pulling out twice a month for rest of season is not a problem.

Campylobacter

Chief Petty Officer

Reading these replies brings me back. My father has tied up the same 14' skiff to his dock, uncovered, no pump (no battery either) for decades. it has come close filling up once (a couple inches from the gunwales), and that was with hurricane-like conditions when he was sick and nobody thought about for several days. Usually on rainy days he visits goes down in the with an old lemonade pitcher to bail. It takes A LOT of rain to swamp a boat. I wouldn't worry.

mike64

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Reading these replies brings me back. My father has tied up the same 14' skiff to his dock, uncovered, no pump (no battery either) for decades. it has come close filling up once (a couple inches from the gunwales), and that was with hurricane-like conditions when he was sick and nobody thought about for several days. Usually on rainy days he visits goes down in the with an old lemonade pitcher to bail. It takes A LOT of rain to swamp a boat. I wouldn't worry.

Great story. Hey, i already have a lemonade pitcher...guess I don't need a bilge pump after all :D

SuzukiChopper

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I don't know if it was overlooked or maybe some others don't think it's a big deal, but your plug should be put in from the outside, not the inside. If it's a lever style plug, just make sure the lever is pointing up so nothing can hit it. If it's a T style... make sure it's tight. It won't go anywhere if installed properly from the outside and will definitely be out of the way of you installing a bilge pump properly.

zach103

Commander

i agree with chopper.. also if you hadn't already gotten one get a bilge pump with a auto float switch. . i always trailer mine and thought i was fine.. well ended up having that slow leak.. and now wen i keep it in the water for a few days i don't worry.. so do that and you can sleep

bigskiohio

Master Chief Petty Officer

a friend told me the other day his dad use to pull the plug and run the boat and the water would clear itself then plug it. on ob that would work on i/0
that would be tough.

scipper77

Commander

a friend told me the other day his dad use to pull the plug and run the boat and the water would clear itself then plug it. on ob that would work on i/0
that would be tough.

I've done that with rentals from the local bait and tackle shop. One had a small leak and every few hours we would get going fast and pull the plug. All water will get sucked out of the drain hole. replace plug and go. It's not the recommended technique but if you don't have a bilge pump for whatever reason it's a heck of a lot easier than bailing.

mike64

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I don't know if it was overlooked or maybe some others don't think it's a big deal, but your plug should be put in from the outside, not the inside. If it's a lever style plug, just make sure the lever is pointing up so nothing can hit it. If it's a T style... make sure it's tight. It won't go anywhere if installed properly from the outside and will definitely be out of the way of you installing a bilge pump properly.

SuzukiChopper, I actually asked whether the plug should go inside or outside last year. The verdict was mixed:
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=270528
I was told when I bought the boat it should go on the inside. I like to be able to look back and see it's there. And I believe there's less chance of the plug being damaged or screwed with from the inside.

But that said, if it's really going to be a hassle with the pump installed, I guess I could put the plug in from the outside.

So I just got my bilge pump. Fuse question: the instructions say to use a 2 amp fuse with it, but on the pump itself it says to go use a 3 amp fuse. So should I get a 2 amp or 3 amp fuse? It draws 1.5 amps. I'm concerned a 2 amp will fry too easy. But I don't want to overfuse (yeah, that's probably not a real word :rolleyes:).

mike64

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Just wanted to post a follow-up and say thanks again to everybody who gave me advice on the bilge pump and everything else.

Having the boat docked worked out great. We didn't get any rain and the boat didn't seem to leak from the plug at all-- I don't know if the bilge pump ever came on--I got a clear tube like lowkee recommended and the inside looked dry every time I checked it. But it was great peace of mind to have the pump.

It sure was nice just walking down to the dock and taking off in the boat. I could really get used to that:cool: We went out 2-3 times a day every day we were there. I think I took the family out in the boat more times this week than all last summer!

Tahoe 55

Petty Officer 1st Class

Awesome!
Glad it worked out for you and you had a good time!
Thanks for posting back. Not everyone does that.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Glad to hear it Mike. We're taking our boat to the shore with us next week for the first time. I am quite excited at the possibility of using it every day.

SuzukiChopper

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Glad to hear everything went well! Next thing you know you'll be looking for a lake front property lol

ozzgood2001

Petty Officer 2nd Class

what lake were ya on? were the fish bitin!?

Jeep Man

Commander

Having a dock is great. Our cottage doesn't have water frontage so we planned on trailering the pontoon the short distance to the public ramp. Then a cousin offered a free dock at her place for all season, every season. It's only a couple of minutes away and sure makes thing way more convenient.

mike64

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Awesome!
Glad it worked out for you and you had a good time!

Thanks Cap'n Ron! Or is it Snake Plisskin? :D

Glad to hear it Mike. We're taking our boat to the shore with us next week for the first time. I am quite excited at the possibility of using it every day.

Let us know how your trip went ezmobee!

Next thing you know you'll be looking for a lake front property lol

Seriously. Or at least renting a slip maybe. If I had any money...

what lake were ya on? were the fish bitin!?

Tipsico Lake, south of Holly. Nice little lake-- small enough to not be crowded, big enough to have fun on. Caught a bunch of bluegill with my kids (one was the biggest bluegill I ever saw-- 9-10") and a decent size bass.