• leave mostly dry faom that is there

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • other

Votes: 2 15.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

chris04008

Cadet
Hi guys it has been so long since I have been on here I had to create a new log in. The last restore was a 16 Glastron complete build. After rebuilding it from the hull up I told my self that I would never rebuild a boat again. Instead, I decided to go ahead and look for an aluminum project to stay away from the glass. I think I was lucky to find this boat but it is a 1989 Smoker Craft with 97 Tracker (mercury) 50hp 4-stroke. The motor looks like new but from what I heard they werent the best of the 4-strokes. with less than 100 hours i hope that it will give me several years of trouble free operation. As far as the condition of the boat the deck is coming out new deck with vinyl going in keeping the original layout and then off fishing we go. I picked the boat, motor, and trailer for $1100 and hope to get through the whole boat and get in great condition keeping total project under 2K. The only way this is going to happen is by recycling as much as I can and shopping around for materials. I have never built a boat on budget so i wanted to make it more of a challenge.

Here she is
img_386987.jpg

interior.jpg

motor.jpg

trollingmotor.jpg

chris04008

Cadet
Re: Round Three 16.5 Smoker Craft Magnum Rebuild.

Wow, What a pain to get boat off the trailer. It wouldn't fit in the garage with the trailer under it. Went ahead and pulled the motor off too just in case a new transom is in order. I think it is good but since I am tearing it down might as well replace it now if needed. Anyhow, finally got the boat off the trailer and now it is in its den for the winter. Tight budget but should have plenty of time to get it done by spring. Boat is sitting on styrofoam blocks I picked up at Tractor Supply that they used to ship trailers to their store. Ended up working great once I got it low to the ground. Here she is for the winter.
garage.jpg

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Great project. Same boat as a Starcraft SS so you have all those threads to use for inspiration.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Re: Smoker Craft Rebuild 16.5 Tin

I decided to go ahead and look for an aluminum project to stay away from the glass.

I do believe the room just got brighter and I hear angles singing:D Great move!:)

Hey, that rig looks like she has great bones and should make for an excellent project.

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

That's got to be a replacement hood on the motor,..

I've never seen the factory send one out that was different colors top and bottom,...

The "Tracker" part means the boat was re-powered,...

The "Tracker" boat company sold boats with motors bearing the "tracker" name from both Mercury and Johnson,....

chris04008

Cadet

The motor is made by Mercury for Tracker Marine I believe. The decal says Tracker by Mercury Marine. I thought about painting the hood black and going with Mercury decals.

I dont have any pics but the hull is in great shape. Other than the deck being rotted from sitting outside under a tree for the last 7 years it is in great shape compared to many other that I have seen on here. the interior hull is shiny, as soon as i get it stripped going to Gluvit all of rivots just to be on the safe side. Generating a to-do list now to make sure that I stay on budget.

There are two things that I am looking out now that I would like to hear some opinions on;
Flooring options

Roll on non skid
Vinyl
Carpet( I was against carpet but since this boat is 30+ years old and still in decent shape even with carpet it will last the entire time I own it)

Second I am thinking about using roll in bed liner on the Gunwale caps have any of you used bedliner and how does it last?

jpormen

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Im going to be following your thread, i just picked up a 82 crestliner tin a weeks back, but i cant start the project until after winter. nice lookin boat

chris04008

Cadet

It has been cool here in Maine which caused the yellow jackets to go into hibernation. Unfortunately the garage was warm enough to make them think it was spring. only got one sting but something to keep in mind when you bring a boat in that has been sitting for a while.

chris04008

Cadet

I tried not to do anything to the boat without letting you guys know, to prevent me from doing something stupid and to help out other members following this thread. I must say I failed you, am deeply sorry but going to get you up to speed on my project. I havent had much time to work on it, TIN boats are the way to go, so much easier to tear apart.

Had a few hours the other night, left the grinder on the shelf and attacked the interior with impact screw gun (awesome tool by the way) and Drill. Started with Bow section and moved my way aft, removing everything including livewell and port/stbd helm, most of the deck. I started removing exposed flotation foam but stopped because it is dry. Doesnt mean that I wont continue to remove it just have to get a few things done and decide if it is completely dry and keep it or go ahead and do the right thing and pour new foam or other flotation. I will leave that up to you guys...... Here it is at this point.
33132af7.jpg

f5085c76.jpg

chris04008

Cadet

As I continued to make my way aft I decided to take a sample from the transom. I can tell you project just got a little bigger as I found wet wood and if it it wet now it will rot later. I went ahead and removed splashwell and transom cap to see what was there. here is what I found
cbdd867e.jpg

2356b9ca.jpg

chris04008

Cadet

This was a small blow to the project as I am running on a tight budget. Trying to complete this project, and be in the boat for less than 2K. It is going to be hard, and have to get creative. At the end of the day, early in the project I can already tell that the budget may have to be expanded as I will not cut corner to save money. What does Boat stand for?

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

The transom is an easy project and not all that expensive,...

And it is a very important part of the boat,...

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Yup, looks like new wood and flotation all around. Have fun:)

oops!

Supreme Mariner

This was a small blow to the project as I am running on a tight budget. Trying to complete this project, and be in the boat for less than 2K. It is going to be hard, and have to get creative. At the end of the day, early in the project I can already tell that the budget may have to be expanded as I will not cut corner to save money. What does Boat stand for?

i dont see structural materials for that boat going over 600.

couple sheets of ply.......some pour in foam. or noodles or rigid foam.
and paint for the deck....then a rug.

easy and just a week or so worth of work.

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

Hmmmm,.............I wonder who cast the only vote for pool noodles????

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Huh a poll eh, K I'd be #3:D (given the choices)

Huron Angler

Admiral

I'm noodle proponent #4...but I'd also use some rigid foam boards in certain areas.

Nice project you've got, very similar to my 16' SS. I can see you finishing this and staying under 2k, especially if you are gonna work on the OB yourself, or if it doesn't need anything to run.:)

I'd make sure those livewell fittings are sealed up well with 3M 5200 before the new deck goes in, just to make sure. They are notorious for leaking and tough to access on the inside.