help anti freez leak issue

angie1015

Petty Officer 3rd Class
1989 thompson daytona twin merc 4 cylander 470 motors. Antifreeze pours out almost as fast as I can put it in. I took some pics and circled the spot of the leak. it looks like it could be a waterpump or something but I am not sure what is behind this housing. any feedback would be helpful. check out the pics

Attachments

• motor.jpg
    motor.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 0
  • moter%20upside%20down.jpg
    moter%20upside%20down.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 0

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Re: help anti freez leak issue

That looks like the waterpump housing. If the antifreeze is coming out of the little weep hole on the underside of the pump housing you need to replace the waterpump cam seals. Need to do it right away or you may dump coolant into the crankcase. Not good. Do a search here for "470 cam seals". Common problem with the 470 motor. Good luck.

angie1015

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks for the info.. would replacing the water pump work as well? Or is it eaiser to just replace the seals. i would like to do this asap so I can be on the water this weekend.. where can I find the seals and how long would this take for me to do? thanks

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Yep, fix now or replace engine later.

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

thanks for the info.. would replacing the water pump work as well? Or is it eaiser to just replace the seals. i would like to do this asap so I can be on the water this weekend.. where can I find the seals and how long would this take for me to do? thanks

You might want to do a search on this issue...the cam shaft usually needs to be resleeved, to go with the new seals. The seals wear a groove into the camshaft, and new seals will not be a lasting fix.

I had my cam resleeved, and this was done while the water pump was off. It is not a big deal....

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

You're not going to like this, but check out http://www.sterndrives.com/470_coolant_leak.html . You don't need the expensive tools, a regular puller will work (if room) and you can install with a longer bolt and some greased washers, but If you are not mechanically inclined better take it to the dealer. While you are at it you might want to have them do both engines. Sorry, good luck.

angie1015

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

angie1015

Petty Officer 3rd Class

So the question is do I replace the waterpump and the seals? Just the seals? The sleevs? Could this just be the waterpump and that's it?

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

So the question is do I replace the waterpump and the seals? Just the seals? The sleevs? Could this just be the waterpump and that's it?

Short answer is:

The water pump is probably fine. The seals should be replaced, and the cam shaft resleeved.

Common problem with this engine.

angie1015

Petty Officer 3rd Class

wow that link is crazy. it looks like quite a process to change these cam seals. Pull the motor out? I know sometimes these links make jobs sound a little harder then they are. I am not so mechanically inclined however my father is a mechanic and has plenty of tools. I think we can figure this out. My question is how long will this take and how easy is it to find these seals. thanks

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

wow that link is crazy. it looks like quite a process to change these cam seals. Pull the motor out? I know sometimes these links make jobs sound a little harder then they are. I am not so mechanically inclined however my father is a mechanic and has plenty of tools. I think we can figure this out. My question is how long will this take and how easy is it to find these seals. thanks

These 'one size fits all' repair links have to assume the worst...that you will not have the forward room to do this repair.

Post a picture of your engine bay...and let the experts here make an educated guess!

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

minimum 10 inches in front of crank pully, minimum 3 ft in front of cover,yes FEET. The cam is that long

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

It isn't a 20 min job.Partial disasembly of the motor is needed.You need a GOOD mechanic.If you dont have 3-4 feet clearance in front of your motor You might have to pull your engine to repair.
If it's not leaking antifreeze into the oil.You can still use the motor.Just carry LOTS!!!! of fresh water or antifreeze and loosen the radiator cap so it won't build up pressure and push the antifreeze out.You won't need to replace the waterpump as it's not bad.THIS IS A TEMPORARY USE ONLY!!!!!!!!! IT WILL EVENTUALLY LEAK INTO THE OIL. Do this at GREAT RISK.J

angie1015

Petty Officer 3rd Class

ok great I will take a pic today. assuming I have enough room how long of a job is this and are the parts easy to get? do most marine shops have these in stock or is it a special order part? thanks

angie1015

Petty Officer 3rd Class

so I can use the boat this weekend however dont use it too much cause the water will leak into the oil correct? but isint the weep hole there so the water doesnt leak into the oil.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

The wep hole is there to give you a visual indication that the front seal has gone bad. Every revolution adds wear to both the fron and REAR seal, it is not long before the rear fails and that coolant will be mixing with your oil.

The suggestion above that the engine could be run TEMPORARILY did not mean "oh, I can still go play around for another week and hope all will be OK"

Run it only enough to get it back on a trailer, lift, to mechanic etc.

Are the parts in stock at local marina? Very doubtful, this was an oddball engine to start with and has not been produced in two decades. You will most likely need to order online and wait for shipping. Then if anything else is discovered during repair, wait for those parts as well.

Bondo

Staff member

so I can use the boat this weekend however dont use it too much cause the water will leak into the oil correct? but isint the weep hole there so the water doesnt leak into the oil.

Ayuh,... Sure,.. Go Ahead...
The Most that'll happen is you'll new a New Motor, instead of just a waterpump....

The Weep hole is there to tell you of the impending Disaster....

angie1015

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok so I can use it only to get to a trailer. That's 20 miles for me. Will stop leak help any to last me a little longer.

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

Ok so I can use it only to get to a trailer. That's 20 miles for me. Will stop leak help any to last me a little longer.

Don't panic!

You can get to your trailer, just fine. Relieve the cap pressure (as suggested above), and watch your gauges.

Besides...the very LAST thing that I would want in my oil...is Stop Leak.

Take a deep breath...this will all work out!

angie1015

Petty Officer 3rd Class

ok so I need a cam sleeve, cam seals and gaskets.. is that correct? my mechanic(father) is going to come down to the marina and attemt to get this done. I want to make sure I have everything I need to do this in one day. is there a website with the parts? anything else I need besides the above mentioned? thanks in advance.