FM Radio Static

Fireman431

Rear Admiral
Re: FM Radio Static

Might have something to do with running an active electrical current back into the boats wiring. :rolleyes:

All kidding aside, FM radios are sensitive to any electrical interference (lightning, alternator current, overlapping stations, etc). You might get some relief by installing a noise surpressor.

burp

Petty Officer 1st Class

All kidding aside, FM radios are sensitive to any electrical interference (lightning, alternator current, overlapping stations, etc). You might get some relief by installing a noise surpressor.

I think you have the AM (Amplitude Modulation) and FM (Frequency Modulation) bands confused. AM radio reception is affected more by lightning and AC power lines than FM radio.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

I think you have the AM (Amplitude Modulation) and FM (Frequency Modulation) bands confused. AM radio reception is affected more by lightning and AC power lines than FM radio.

No I don't. I understand the difference. Florida here...lightning capitol of the world. The energy being released by 250,000 volts will mess with your radio reception on FM channels...believe me. And I never mentioned AC lines at all.

Try a noise suppressor in the 12v+ wire that feeds the radio. It's a relatively inexpensive part which is easy to install and may eliminate (or at least diminish) your problem.

Hooked on Deanna

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There is something going with my charger...I noticed last night that the tv gets interference with the charger on

Loon-A-Sea

Recruit

There is something going with my charger...I noticed last night that the tv gets interference with the charger on

To help narrow down your noise
Is it a automobile type or marine charger?
Source of power that the battery charger uses, same as always?
Any repairs recently?

Hooked on Deanna

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No - it is the charger original to the boat. It charges three banks. Today I noticed that the charger can be on without interferring with the Tv but if I turn on a DC power item (ie - the water pressure) I will get interference in the TV signal. The FM has interference whenever the charger is on.

Hooked on Deanna

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok - How do I do this? Can I check for this condition at my DC power panel? Can this cause a problem with my equipment?
I just had a issue discovered with my shore power where the neutral was splitting (as the power company says) causing the AC voltage to drop below 100V under load. Could this issue have damaged my battery charger? Thanks for your help!

Hooked on Deanna

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK Get news on test results -

1. Test started by reading the volts of all three batteries - all where around 13.5v with charger going (> 5amps DC on charger gauge). No static from radio!
2. Turned off the battery charger and batteries only drop'd to 13.4v.
3. Put a load on all the batteries and volts drop to 12.6 - Turned on charger and all batteries read 14V (15 amp DC on charger gauge). Static
4. Within 5 minutes Static cleared

Take Away - charger works and static occuries only when charger is putting out full charge (15 amps DC)!

I'm ok with these findings!