Live well doesn't always fill

lostriver

Cadet
My live well often doesn't fill. If I turn the live well pump on before launching the boat, then it will fill. If I get the boat on plane and trimmed out, when I come off plane, then the live well does not want to fill again. Is there a way to prime this after I put it in the water or come off of plane???

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: Live well doesn't always fill

Are you running the pump while the boat is moving?

If so, no you can't do that, the negative presure caused by the boat moving through the water will the keep the pump from pumping.

If this is after you stop moving to your spot then that is quite the mystery, I really don't know why it wouldn't pump.

Maybe try a new pump is all I can think.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Their is likely something stuck in the intake to the pump. That's why a protective screen is available to cover the pump intake. It may be that the pump intake is slightly above the water line. These are not "lift pumps" so they cannot suck water. They need to installed so the water line is above the pump intake.

lostriver

Cadet

Thanks for your replies.

I have already changed the pump and checked the hoses. Nothing is in there and the nothing is wrong with the pump. (I don't think anything was wrong with the old pump either but I am sure of that now).

I think it gets an air pocket in the line and won't pump water. I am not trying to do this at full throttle. Only at slow speeds (2 to 3 mph). I am considering plumbling in a valve that I can open to get out the air pocket and get water to the pump. I just figured someone else had this problem and had a better idea.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Do you have a one way valve installed between the LW and the pump?

The pump on my live well is mounted well above the water line and is feed by a scoop type thru hull pick-up. There is a one way flap valve installed between the pump and the live well in the mid-section of the boat to keep the pump primed on the pressure side.

No problems running the pump under any condtions. The upside of the scoop intake is that when running or on the troll the intake provides enough pressure to operate the live well without using the pump.

lostriver

Cadet

I do not have a one way valve anywhere in the system. Is that what I need?? Can you supply a link to one??

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Ya, tose pumps don't have alot of umph anyhow and almost any movement of the boat will make it stop pumping, the culprit isn't an air lock it is suction as the baot moves the water.

lostriver

Cadet

I actually think in my case it is an air lock.

If it starts, then it will pump just fine. If I put the boat on plane and trim it up it will not run when it is set back down. Now If I turn the livewell on before setting the boat back down and I come off of plane slowly it will work again.

The question is how do I fix it?? Will a one-way valve fix it?? Where can I get one???

GatorMike

Ensign

A deceint pump set up right is going to pump reguardless of what speed you are going. Some pumps have a filter screen in them that can get clogged but since you say you have changed the whole pump I guess that wouldn't be it.

capt sam

Master Chief Petty Officer

where's is your livewell intake located or did I miss that? There's no issues running the pump while on plane I do it all the time, if your's is coming from a thru hull underneath and doesn't have the clam shell pickup that would be your problem.

lostriver

Cadet

Capt. Sam seems to be dialing on on the issue (i hope).

I am coming from a thru hull behind the boat and it doesn't have the clam shell pickup. I don't know what i clam shell pick up is but I do know that the intake is connected directly to the pump and the pump is connected directly to the live well. No valves are present.

SDP123

Cadet

If you pull out the drain plug from the live well while the boat is not underway, what happens?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

You shouldn't need a valve. Is the pump intake part of the pump and mounted through the transom, or is there a hose that runs from the transom intake to the pump. If there is a hose between the transom and the pump make sure it is a straight line or downward to the pump. If at any point that inlet gets above the water line, that pump will not work. If the pump inlet is mounted directly through the transom then I don't know what the issue would be other than being mounted too high. Again, the inlet or the pump impeller cannot be above the water line.

capt sam

Master Chief Petty Officer

silvertip is right, they're just moving water not pulling a vacuum. They can once primed but they'll be intermittent otherwise. Are your intakes low on the transom and are there screens over them?