My grandfathers' boat

Calglass19

Cadet
After 20 years of waiting (long story), my Grandfathers boat has finally come to live with me.

It's a Starcraft Jupiter. ALL original except the paint and the carpet. I believe it's a 1969 (Can anyone confirm? Serial: 914742). Both Johnson engines hanging on the back are 1969's too.

The interior has one flaw, the vinyl sheet on the one side needs to be glued back up. That's it.

The deck floor is original, the convertible top was installed when the boat was new. It was stored under a cover in the garage since new, only used for 3 weeks per year until 1991. Since '91, it has sat covered in the garage untouched.

Now some photos.....

IMG00097-20110717-0935.jpg

IMG00096-20110716-1913.jpg

IMG00092-20110716-1903.jpg

IMG00083-20110713-2101.jpg

IMG00065-20110710-1855.jpg

This is the way she'll stay for this year. I am taking it away fishing, and have no time to get everything done to dress it up. Next year it will get a re-paint in white and "undecided". It will also get a re-wire (other than the engine harness) just for my peace of mind.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral
Re: My grandfathers' boat

Wow
She's beautiful...
Glad she's in the family still

Calglass19

Cadet

Thanks, and so am I! :)

I should also say there's a vintage tilt Gator trailer under there too.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Nice boat! We had a lot of fun with our Jupiter.

N1265

Petty Officer 1st Class

I believe it's a 1969 (Can anyone confirm? Serial: 914742). Both Johnson engines hanging on the back are 1969's too..

The serial number indicates a '69. The bow light, Stern light, windshield, steering wheel , transom tiedowns, and side boards are consistant with a '69. Not sure if Green was the original color of this boat, but some '69 were green.

Love the top and Like the green. does the wiper and spot light work ?

Calglass19

Cadet

Not sure if Green was the original color of this boat, but some '69 were green.

Love the top and Like the green. does the wiper and spot light work ?

Thanks for the confirmation on the year. There are 2 wipers that work, as well as 2 spotlights that also work. I need to replace the coiled cord on one light as the insulation has come off.

That green is not original, it was an olive green on the bottom and a dark green on the tops and bow.

Thanks again. I'm sure excited about this old boat!

Huron Angler

Admiral

Nice Jupiter, looks like she was well cared for all these years:)

Welcome aboard, and good luck with the rig!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Got a good one there Cal. And nice to have the family history too. Have you got the ole gal running yet? Somewhere in the forums is a thread(s) about bringing a long time sitting gem back to life. Good luck with the old/new family member and have fun.

Calglass19

Cadet

Thanks for the compliments guys. :)

I've only had it running in a barrel so far. It's darn near impossible to diagnose/repair these things without having it in a body of water. Ya just can't load it up in a barrel or on muffs.

The 6hp runs like brand new, but the 55hp needs a little TLC. It misses on one jug. I can hear it come in once in a while, the speed picks up, then it drops out and slows down again. Mind you, this is running on some pretty old fuel. Probably mixed 3 years ago when I borrowed the 6hp for a different boat I had at the time.

Tomorrow I'm going to mix up some fresh gas, drain the carbs, and change the plugs, and then see how it runs.

There are screwdriver marks ALL OVER the idle mixture screws on all 3 carbs. :facepalm: Looks like I'm going to need a manual to get things set where they should be.

TheWrks

Petty Officer 1st Class

Welcome to the club I have almost the same story as you but mines a 68 Holiday

Scott

tonk62

Petty Officer 3rd Class

really nice boat, congrats. change those impellers, before you run it to much, three years is a pretty long time to be sitting dry!