The Hunt is on for a sleekcraft ambassador hull.....

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
So I'm wrapping up the "final" touches on Miss Morgan, my Newport Sleekcraft. Love her, great hull...but I need another boat that is longer and can handle the windy OK days......and seat more than 3 or 4. Lets back up, I need another boat like a hole in the head.....so let me rephrase that, I want another boat! :D And another project.....I love Vegas's Sleek

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=353053&highlight=sleekcraft

and what this guy did with his....

http://www.performanceboats.com/paint-fiberglass-repair/29881-pats-fiberglass-my-sleekcraft.html

So the search is on for a good hull to overhaul....I learned a lot from Miss Morgan and from all of you on this site...round II should be interesting! I'm looking for a bargain basement hull, preferably one with a stern drive. There is one here in OKC that I looked at last year (jet) but I wasn't in the position to buy her and he wanted too much. I drove by today and its still there, so I might go knock on his door. There aren't many around here, but a ton on the west coast.....of course the problem is getting a hull back here....plus the cost of going to look at it.

Regardless the hunt is on...may take a month or it maybe 2 years.....I'll keep you updated!

Friscoboater

Captain
Re: The Hunt is on for a sleekcraft ambassador hull.....

I cannot wait to see what you find.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Nice boat Wood, but I want a hull to start from just like Miss Morgan.....total rebuild....that way I know her inside and out!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

I have this odd feeling I will be trying to convince Southwest that a hull is considered a "carry on" in Vegas!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Gotcha, Does it have to have a Tree Growing in it TOO!!!!!!:p

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Trees are optional, but the price has to be right.....

Last Mohican

Chief Petty Officer

Glad to hear you are on the hunt. I will keep my eyes open for you around here. I did put a stock YJ pump back in my Ambassador this week. Hopefully more progress will be made soon. I really hate all that new seating is still sitting in my shop and not in the boat.

Would you entertain a 23' Executive or are you only interested in the Ambassador? Just FYI, The ambassador went from 25' to 26' in 1977. If you want the 26 footer it will need to be 77 or later.

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

Arch I am with you those sleek crafts are slick looking rides. If I ever find one affordable I will have to get rid of a boat or mama will kill me.

seamorewaterVIP

Petty Officer 2nd Class

:DYeah I am so excited
Now all we need to do is convince Mic to do another one.;)

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Matt I think I really want to go with an Ambassador....I want a hull that will handle the windy days on Eufaula. I also have plans to possibly turn it into a mid-cabin, with bow seating :D!

Better keep mama happy Proshadetree!

Seamorewater, I will send Mick an e-mail and let him know that he has to do another boat....have a type you would like to request, lol! I say we tell him that he has to do a houseboat!

redfury

Commander

They didn't decide on the name SLEEK for no good reason. I ran through that entire thread you posted...that boat is just sick, slick and SLEEK. I'd love to see what you come up with for an Ambassador. When he had the boat taped off for the red and had the tape/paper over the white, the crinkled orange look on the paper I thought would be a wicked accent...almost like orange lightning. I'm hoping to have a new graphic scheme laid out for my boat when it comes...inspired by both that picture and another graphic on a larger Glastron than mine....it's totally unrelated to either really, but if I can pull it off, I think it'll work out like no other that I've seen....the picture in my head looks awesome, and hopefully it'll look just as awesome when I get it down on some paper.

Last Mohican

Chief Petty Officer

Matt I think I really want to go with an Ambassador....I want a hull that will handle the windy days on Eufaula. I also have plans to possibly turn it into a mid-cabin, with bow seating :D!

Sounds interesting Bobby. I had passing thoughts about the mid cabin for mine but not the bow steering. In the end I decided just to leave it alone. No real reason. Just decided to do more of a preservation rather than a restoration on it for now.

Looks like the Rebel will still get my attention at least for one more week. The starter failed at Broken Bow this weekend. Gotta lift the motor to get the starter off. :facepalm:

Seems you are not the only one looking right now.

http://waco.craigslist.org/wan/2421730812.html

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Hey Redfury, I hope the idea works out for you! That is an awesome hull he rebuilt......hope I can come up with something as slick.

Matt, sorry to hear about the starter.....that seems to be a common issue with new motors around here.

I have been reading about spraying gel, anyone have any thoughts? After watching skibum sand yellow gelcoat for days on end I wrote it off. I would like the durability of it on the next project, and it can't be anymore expensive than the liquid gold on Miss Morgan.....has anyone used duratec? I have been reading about it, sounds like it helps to cut down on the orange peel. Also any tips for sanding a duratec gelcoat and buffing? (I'll trade stainless buffing info, lol!)

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Your mailbox is full.

Last Mohican

Chief Petty Officer

I'll throw this in here. You joked about the AM/FM in your other thread and it reminded me I have a dealer price sheet from 1980. It has all the available options listed with dealer price. Pretty interesting.

(Clickable Thumbs)

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Matt, do you know if the executive is a 23' or 24'? I keep seeing it listed both ways. I wonder where the difference is between it and the ambassador? They look like the same hull, just different lengths. Maybe there is something else I am missing other than the lenght. I was pondering last night the executive would fit in the shop better.....but an ambassador will fit, but be a tight squeeze. By the way, how many people is your ambassador rated for?

Last Mohican

Chief Petty Officer

Seems like my Ambassador is rated for 13. I'd never put that many in it though. I've never seen an Executive listed as 24' only 23'. An easy way to tell an Executive from an Ambassador is to look at the side. There is a dip in the body line between the dash and the transom along the top edge of the boat on the Executive. The Ambassador is straight. This leads me to believe the Executive is shorter between the dash and transom. You could just go all out and look for a 36' Commander. LOL.

Here is Paul's Executive. If you look right where the girl is sitting you can see the dip in the side.
IMG_8988.jpg

If you look at the side of my Ambassador you can see it is a straight line from dash to transom.

(Clickable Thumb)

This brochure has the 25' Ambassador so it is from 76 or earlier. You can see the seat arrangement is shorter in the Executive upper deck. The newer brochure I have lists the Ambassador as 26'. The Executive is listed as 23' in both brochures.

Here is another Ambassador page from the early brochure. It says the beam is 92. The later brochure I have says the beam is 96. It also says seating for 13 in the older brochure so that is where I got that number.

Last but not least, It seems like 83 sleek and I PM'd back and forth about measurements. We determined the difference between the 25' and 26' Ambassador is forward of the dash. They are all the same dimension from dash to transom and the upper deck seating area is the same width. The difference is in the cabin area both in length and width.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Ok I see the difference now, I don't know why I didn't pick up on that earlier. I love how they advertise it as the "lounge playroom", lol! You have to love the fuzzy brown also! I wonder if the top of the dash is the same height from the deck? The clearance under the bow might have an impact on my open bow / mid cabin concept. I just can't see any use for a closed bow without AC in OK.

I also did some research today on gelcoat (thanks Jay....you had to get me started!) Actually it was me following up on some online research. I found a product called Duratec, that I mentioned earlier. I talked to the tech guy today, and it sounds like a really interesting product. Actually they make a full line of fillers, sanding primers, sealing primers and the duratect additive and also a thinner. The filler is supposed to be like sanding bondo, he said there harder fillers are for mold making. The sanding primer sounds much like the primer I used under Miss Morgans paint.....high build, you shoot it on then block it out to remove imperfections. The sealing primer is used to coat and seal the prep work up and protect it from water. After that you shoot the gelcoat mixed 30% duratec additive and 70% gel for the base coats. Top coat they recommend 50% / 50% mixture of gelcoat and the duratec. You can also thin it some depending on the type of gun / delivery method. You can use their thinner or MEK. I think I may buy a gun and some of the material this fall and do some experimenting. According to him you can start color sanding it with 400 and work up to 800. He did recommend sanding it with 400 then letting it set for 24 hours at 75 degrees. This allows it to off gas solvents. After that you follow up with 600 and 800. It is supposed to really lay down flat compared to shooting strait gelcoat. I also found a rubbing compound somewhere that you use in conjunction with it. It is supposed to remove the 800 grit scratches and shine it up. I figure I will experiment next fall when its not 106 outside! If it works as advertised, I may use it on the next project. Anyone have any thoughts on it?