Hinge Pin Removal

whodunnit

Cadet
"72 140hp. We need to remove the Bell Housing from the Gimbal Ring. It does not have cotter pins. Acquired the tool. Any tips, tricks or be sure to's for removing/replacing the Hinge Pins?

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Re: Hinge Pin Removal

righty tighty, lefty loosey

clean threads and install with blue loctite, torque to 100 lb/ft

NHGuy

Captain

If it's a Mercruiser...get the tool all the way seated in the hinge pin and put some hammered twist on it. If you are an air tool guy an impact wrench is acceptable. Just don't use one of those 700 foot pound monsters. If that won't work heat is OK. They are installed using red locktite, backyard guys expect to use heat to free them. It will take more than 150 ft lbs of torque to get em off.

Oops, sorry to step on you dubs.

NHGuy

Captain

Nobody mentioned a sender did they?

mpdcam

Cadet

clean threads and install with blue loctite, torque to 100 lb/ft

The manual called for red loctite when I did mine, but mine is a Bravo 1. I heated the ring in the areas of the hinge pins to loosen up the loctite that was there from Mercury. Came out nice and easy.

Pete104

Lieutenant

Well, seeing as though that are only 2 types. And he doesn't have the push-in held in place by a pin.
The hsg must have been replaced at some point.

Bondo

Staff member

Well, seeing as though that are only 2 types. And he doesn't have the push-in held in place by a pin.
The hsg must have been replaced at some point.

Ayuh,... But a 1972 should be the internally threaded pins that come out with a slidehammer...

fishrdan

Admiral

Ayuh,... But a 1972 should be the internally threaded pins that come out with a slidehammer...

^^^ Exactly

You need to remove the stainless steel "nails" that go through the gimble ring and pin first (carefully bend the end straight, don't break them, they are NLA), pull the nails out, then remove the pins with a slide hammer or something that can tap them out. They have a small thread in the center 10-32? that you need to screw a bolt into, then pull from there. The last time I removed them I screwed the bolt in, clamped vise grips on the bolt, put a wrench behind the vise grip tension bolt and tapped on the wrench with a hammer, it worked like a slide hammer.

joncrisler

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Dubs- why do you keep perpetuating this myth ? Those that take their craft seriously know that you are going to break parts, thumbs and hearts unless you stricly follow the mechanics mantra of "lefty loosey, rigthy tighty". Anything else is just crazy-talk. :)

Bondo

Staff member

Dubs- why do you keep perpetuating this myth ? Those that take their craft seriously know that you are going to break parts, thumbs and hearts unless you stricly follow the mechanics mantra of "lefty loosey, rigthy tighty". Anything else is just crazy-talk. :)

Ayuh,... It must be a regional or generational thing or something...

It's Righty Tighty, Lefty Loosey around here...

Pete104

Lieutenant

If he has the pins you pull out(w/slidehammer), what is the loc-tite for?

whodunnit

Cadet

It's the "Nails" that concern me. I don't notice an end to bend. I can see the end of a (approx.1/4") stud (perhaps the nail you speak of)
flush with the back of the ring and is in line with the hinge pin. Where is/are the parts to bend?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Did you remove the trim sender and trim limit to access the hinge pins. If not you have the old style that uses the nail system.

Pete104

Lieutenant

He has no trim sender/limit senders like you guys are thinking. 1972, the slide in hinge pin w/the aluminum "nail" as a keeper.

Whodunnit, heads up! What your looking for is, on the front side of the gimbal ring about an 1 1/2" straight fwd of the center of the hinge pin, is an area that runs purpendicular w/the ring. Kind of a slot. In there is a nail "point" driven up or maybe down. It won't be side to side. That's what needs to be straightened out. Corrosion is playing a big part on disassembly. You've got alum on alum + alum on steel. It may come apart with no issues, great!
Give it a shot, you'll be fine!