lost spark out on water today 78,85hp johnson,no lanyard

fpctim

Petty Officer 3rd Class
how do i know if my stator went bad or the coils,or the power packs,everything was fine and we where flying along and it just stoped 1978 johnson 85 hp,i have no spark coming out of coils

Last edited:

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: lost spark out on water today 78,85hp johnson

Normally, the engine is stopped immediately by grounding the powerpacks. This is done either by turning the ignition key to OFF, or by pulling the emergency lanyard. Either of theses would cause the negative ground in the ignition to close with the black and yellow kill wire.

You can test for spark by disconnecting the large red plug at the engine and jumping the starter, or by disconnecting th black and yellow kill wire at the powerpacks and starting normally. In either case, you will have to stop the engine by choking it if it starts.

To better understand the wiring, you might want to study the diagrams towards the end of the following thread: http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/ignitionSwitch.html

To jump the starter with the large red plug disconnected, just cross starter solenoid #6 to #3 on the thumbnail.

Attachments

• Fuse 40 clean.JPG
    Fuse 40 clean.JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 0

fpctim

Petty Officer 3rd Class

there is no kill switch or lanyard,no black and yellow wire i unpluged big red plug and no spark

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: lost spark out on water today 78,85hp johnson,no lanyard

Did the starter motor turn the engine? It needs minimum 250-300R RPM to spark.

The ignition switch is a kill switch, when you turn the key to off, it grounds the powerpack; that's how they work. Many remotes have the emergency lanyard. Sorry I can't see your setup from here.

fpctim

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: lost spark out on water today 78,85hp johnson,

ok i went out and unpluged red plug and got spark and motor ran i plug the red plug in and it died whats that all about

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

sounds like bad ignition switch, or short in wiring. or the key was turn to off, when you plug the harness in.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

First visually inspect the wiring harness connecting the amphenol plug to the remote control. Any trouble spots here? Clean the plug, grease the edges, then reapply.

You can then test the continuity of the wiring harness with an ohmmeter to test for breaks that you may not visually locate. Do not let 12 volts ride that black/yellow wire.

Did you try disconnecting the black/yellow wire and testing for spark as Ezeke advised?

fpctim

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i did not find yellow and black wire no where on motor,i will check for wiring breaks with ohm meter,the key was on when i pluged red plug back in.i dont see any visual marks or brakes in wires

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The black wire with a yellow tracer runs from a large M post on your ignition switch through the main wiring harness and the red plug and then to the two powerpacks.

The black and yellow wire is split beyond the large red plug and each piece runs to position D in a 4 wire amphenol plug leadind to each powerpack.

Since the engine ran with the red plug disconnected, the short is not in the black and yellow wires beyond the large red plug at the engine end.

The black and yellow wire is being grounded by the ignition switch or by a short within the wiring harness between the red plug and the ignition switch.

Start by inspecting both sides of the large red plug for possible corrosion.

Be careful in testing the wiring that no voltage rides the black and yellow wire or it will kill the powerpacks. In other words, disconnect the battery and use an ohmmeter.

Attachments

• Red Plug.JPG
    Red Plug.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 0

fpctim

Petty Officer 3rd Class

all went well changed ignition switch and things work fine,thanks to all and i did find black and yellow wire