Boat sits very low, almost no freeboard while on plane

32bit.flannel

Seaman Apprentice
Hi guys,

This may simply be the designed intention of this little boat but I want to get some perspective from those more knowledgeable than I. It's a 14-foot Creek Craft, pretty sure the model is Creek Runner (http://www.saltermarine.com/CreekCraftBoats.html). They list it as a semi-V hull/V-bow and I grew up fishing on more traditional V-hulls so this being damn near a Jon boat might play into my reluctance to trust it. Add that to the fact it's only about 20" deep so it naturally sits quite low in the water. What worries me though is when I'm up on plane I've got virtually no freeboard. The edge of the gunwales protrudes out away from the boat and cups down (see my next post for a visual aide) and the water zips through that cup/channel as it reaches aft. This cup is cutting water as I plane...I mean I can literally rest my hand on the gunwale and my fingers dip into the water. I'm pretty sure if those channels weren't there the boat would inherently fill with water when running on plane and ultimately sink itself. I've adjusted the engine stop but if I go in the next hole my bow is plowing water, I've moved my battery as far forward as the compartment will allow (more than past the boat's centerline) and I plugged up the livewell so it stays dry when not in use (long story there...previous owner was a goof). It even has a whale tail on the outboard (which I thought was supposed to keep it up more?) Coming down off plane is scary because I'm pretty sure if I even need to stop in an emergency I will be swamped ;-) I should also note that the engine is just a light little 2-stroke 18hp, the max rated hp is 25 so I'm well below that, and even with only a couple gallons in the tank (which does sit in the back with me) it behaves this way. This next image will help to better explain...

32bit.flannel

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Boat sits very low, almost no freeboard while on plane

http://www.32bit-flannel.net/pics/sadme.jpg

A few things I'd come across that sounded worth looking into are some float pods for the stern, or maybe smart tabs would be smarter (pun intended) as they should bring the *** up out of the water when I'm planning...right?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Any chance you're running a long shaft motor on a short shaft transom?

Andy'sDelight

Petty Officer 1st Class

read my mind, check your shaft length. Might need to raise up the motor.

32bit.flannel

Seaman Apprentice

Any chance you're running a long shaft motor on a short shaft transom?

I don't believe that is the case. The transom is ~21" tall, and as it sits the whale tail is about dead even with hull.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Step 1: Take off the whale tail.

32bit.flannel

Seaman Apprentice

Step 1: Take off the whale tail.

That topic aside, due to my 18hp having no spark I ran with my fathers 25hp this weekend and it does not have a whale tail on it. The issue was quite evident with his motor as well (and it isn't much heavier or more powerful feeling than my 18hp).

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

what speed are you getting?
how far from the stern is the getting so deep?
Are you talking about the actual water level or a standing wave?
my suspicion is that maybe you are not actually getting on plane

when you say that the bow plows water, do you mean it is LOWER than the stern?

Andy'sDelight

Petty Officer 1st Class

If your shaft height is correct and it does this with and without the whale tale, your issue is more than likely a planing issue. Are you riding bow high when this is happening? Have you tried adding weight to the front of the boat? You might benefit from Smart Tabs.

32bit.flannel

Seaman Apprentice

what speed are you getting?
how far from the stern is the getting so deep?
Are you talking about the actual water level or a standing wave?
my suspicion is that maybe you are not actually getting on plane

when you say that the bow plows water, do you mean it is LOWER than the stern?

I was consistently getting 22-24mph (per GPS) top speed this weekend, 25hp pushing approx 900lbs boat/people/gear.

I didn't pay exceptional attention to how far from the stern it was riding so low, but I'd guesstimate somewhere between 18-30 inches.

I'm talking the actual water level...if I got hit with a wave from the side or rear it would all come right in.

Plowing the water meant the bow isn't getting up enough to not break water up into our faces. The bow is NOT being plowed down into the water, as in being lower than the stern. (sorry for being vague on that one).

I'd originally wanted to say I wasn't getting on plane too, because that would explain it, but it sure feels like I am. I hit the gas and my bow comes up and I plow some water as I speed up, then after it gets going the rear feels like it comes up and settles and I level out again. At this point if I were to have had set the engine stop in a notch I would 'plow water', not quite *over* the bow like I'm nose-in...it breaks up about a foot or two back from the tip of the bow and right up in our faces. That's what got me to thinking about smart tabs...perhaps I'm just not getting up all the way on plane (but can you really half-*** being on plane? I *assumed* you were or were not, no middle)

Plus my dad/brother were out with us in another boat and had I not been up on plane he would have said something to me. Next time I am out with them I will have then take a video so I can see what it looks like from outside the boat, unless I figure it out before then.

32bit.flannel

Seaman Apprentice

If your shaft height is correct and it does this with and without the whale tale, your issue is more than likely a planing issue. Are you riding bow high when this is happening? Have you tried adding weight to the front of the boat? You might benefit from Smart Tabs.

It doesn't *feel* as if the bow is too high. I have had my passenger get up front a little and it didn't seem to help raise the stern, though it would lower the bow a tad and start breaking water up into our faces akin to dropping the engine stop in another notch.

This is my first year on this boat so it is entirely possible that I simply don't know what correct running feels like for it. Does 24mph sound about right for this setup or should I maybe be getting more from it you think?

lncoop

Vice Admiral

If you truly had 900 pounds aboard and it is the Creek Runner you were overloaded by 300 pounds. The biggest boat on there maxes out capacity at 900 pounds. Are you sure were carrying that much weight? If so, that could be the culprit.

32bit.flannel

Seaman Apprentice

If you truly had 900 pounds aboard and it is the Creek Runner you were overloaded by 300 pounds. The biggest boat on there maxes out capacity at 900 pounds. Are you sure were carrying that much weight? If so, that could be the culprit.

The boat itself weighed in at about 350. My sum of 900 was the boat (350) engine (100) trolling motor and 27h battery (100) me (175), my cousin (145) and I rounded up to account for other gear. I guessed heavy on some stuff, so if you take the 900 minus 350 for the boat itself I'm a solid 50lbs under max capacity. And to boot I'm actually not 100% sure it is a Creek Runner. It fits the dimensions and looks most like the Creek Runner among the rest, but features characteristics of the Salty as well. They do customize their boats so I'm guessing it's a modified Creek Runner.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

I see. Looks like a neat little rig. Have you tried running it loaded only with yourself?

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

first, I wouldn't put tabs or floats on a 14' boat.

It may be the design; some low freeboard boats run that way. A friend's 16' jon does that and it spooks me even though I'm used to small boats. But that rolled rail is designed that way on purpose, and there is probably a lot more "float" than you think. Are you putting up a big wake when you get on a plane? Have you tried crossing some wakes, even close to broadside, to see how it handles?

32bit.flannel

Seaman Apprentice

I haven't gotten out alone on it yet, nor have I really toyed with it. Honestly I've been more concerned about getting out fishing :) I do plan to give it a proper flogging once the waters warm up, maybe out on Lake Erie too, and when I have somebody in another boat out with me. I figure if I'm going to chance sinking it I should probably not have all my gear aboard, should have somebody along side me to help if needed...and not get hypothermia in the process either lol.

Alumarine

Captain

I think you might be plowing or digging in some how.
That boat should go a bit faster than 22-24 with a 18 or a 25 on it.

I gps'd a friend's wide 16 ft. lund at 26mph with a 20hp.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

that sounds like it is doing just what it should.... you are running at or near MAX capacity with minimal power....

NOW I'm gonna tell you something you probably kinda know and likely don't want to hear

Taking that boat on lake eerie is down right foolish.... Even if the weather is perfect there are a LOT of really big boats out there and you stand a really good chance of getting swamped or worse.

Don't take this as an attack.... many years ago as a teen I was foolish enough to take a 12'er with a 7.5 into eerie..... I stayed within about 1 mile from shore but even then I was on borrowed time.... I DID also get my boat swamped and overturned by a big cigarette boat on sandusky bay too....

mphy98

Lieutenant

My .02 cents.. small boat,overloaded, not safe for the big water. I too had a 14' john boat on a small lake that had a very low free board. I stuck an 8hp on it and did it fly..... untill I hit the big wake of a lager boat. I was flipped. Casualty, 1 8hp motor, fishing gear, and my pride of a young 15 year old. Me.

gozierdt

Petty Officer 1st Class

Since you don't seem to have found anything, I'll add one more thing just to check. While the boat is out of the water, sight down along the bottom of the boat, or hold a 6' or so straight edge against the bottom, and make sure you don't have a "hook" (concave surface) on your planing surface. If you do, it will tend to hold the bow down and suck the back down a bit also. Just one more thing to check.