To grease or not to grease

modernrocketry

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: To grease or not to grease

I'm curious what others answer also.

I personally don't -- but my trailerable boat is only 14' weighing in at 850lbs and from my garage to the launch ramp is 3 miles each way.
A lightweight compared to most on here.

BaileysBoat

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Have 4 trailers. Grease all couplers, not the balls, and the Suburbans receiver.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Light coat on ball and coupler.

gstanton

Chief Petty Officer

Yes! Moving metal parts need lubrication.

mthieme

Captain

Never bothered...haven't worn out anything yet.
This is also an electrical ground which has come in handy for me in the past.
I do spray some lube up in the mechanism.

reelfishin

Captain

I rarely do on my smaller trailers but I do keep the couplers well lubed to prevent them from seizing up. On my larger trailers or those that go longer distances, I grease both the ball and receiver to reduce wear.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

A coupler ball should not be relied upon as an electrical ground. That's what the white wire in the harness is for.

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

I use to grease the ball, but it makes too much of a mess. I do spray a little liquid-wrench on it from time to time, just to keep it from rusting.

NelsonQ

Lieutenant

I do. Metal parts rubbing together, lubrication is a good thing.

Yes, its messy. Also, maybe this exists only in my mind but I found my smaller trailer on my 14' was 'clunkier' without the ball/coupler lube. I'm sure dry metal rubbing together didn't help but if nothing else, it didn't sound as bad so now I just do it as common practice on any trailer I tow.

HappierWet

Master Chief Petty Officer

I don't grease the ball or coupler, I do grease the springs inside the coupler. If the ball gets rusty or used for something inappropriate (who...me? ...chain?) it gets replaced. I also spray oil on the pivot part of the latch.

Joe Dirt

Seaman

Since mine is light, I usually only hit the ball decently with a construction pencil- graphite, and no mess...

Polar_Bus

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Do you grease your coupler and ball?

I've been towing for over 20 years, and never greased my ball. I see no real advantage. I do see however always having a dirty ball from the grease attracting grit and debris.

rndn

Commander

I always keep the ball lightly lubed with some good high pressure grease. It is rubbing metal parts after all.
I will admit the reason I keep the ball lubed is because my old man told me about a buddy of his that did not lube the ball on what I recall was a 24 foot boat. The story went that because of no grease the ball got so heated up that it actually split and created quite a mess. I never saw this and was never told who this buddy was, but always thought when you have two metal pieces rubbing together under some good pressure, you should add some lube to the area. After all, what does the lube hurt?

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I lube the ball with a dap of grease before connecting the trailer, and just wipe the ball clean afte unhitching the trailer. Its the receiver that I really grease up so the draw bar won't rust in place. I also remove and store the draw bar (in a plastic bag) either in the vehicle or garage when not in use so it doesn't get rusted up.

cribber

Lieutenant

I hit the ball, coupler, and receiver with a shot of WD-40 when it starts to look dry... not exactly grease but any lube is better than none. The ramp I trailer to is only five miles from my driveway.

xxxflhrci

Chief Petty Officer

No. Personally, I don't think it is needed. On top of that, I don't want the shins of every pair of pants I own stained.:D

Navy Jr.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Yep, I put a thin layer of grease on the ball and, like Mark42, always remove the draw bar from the receiver after every use. Wife and I don't like bruised legs from bumping into the darn thing.

We have a new rig, but after using it 20+ times this season it appeared the coupler was getting a little stiff, so lubricated it as well. Might also help prevent rust.

Irv964

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've been towing for over 20 years, and never greased my ball. I see no real advantage. I do see however always having a dirty ball from the grease attracting grit and debris.

This is why I never do it, the grit and sand is far worse at wearing the ball and receiver out prematurely than never greasing your ball will be.........Irv964

thefishinguy

Cadet

i find it easy enough to lube it with some marine grease and then have ball cover or even tennis ball over the ball to keep you away from the grease. plus this stops all the noise that makes everyone look at you at the ramp:)