Boat sits very low, almost no freeboard while on plane

32bit.flannel

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Boat sits very low, almost no freeboard while on plane

Yeah I hear you guys about Erie, I'm not talking about being a mile out or anything. Honestly, where id be, staying between the beach and the breakwall, is probably a safer place than West Branch or Mosquito resevoirs. Those little lakes with unlimited HP are a real trip at mid-day in the summer.

I had the brilliant idea to send an email to the boat manufacturer to see their take on it too.

32bit.flannel

Seaman Apprentice

Perhaps I've just overestimated this little boat's ability. I figured a 350lb boat running max spec'd hp within the weight limit would run more *properly*. Its not the end of the world though because I got it all for a damn good price and was planning on flipping it to put towards a bigger setup. She just needs to keep me above water for a year or two :) thanks for all the suggestions.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Perhaps I've just overestimated this little boat's ability.
understatement of the year.... for what you want... flip it now.... it's a creekrunner.... not a greatlakesrunner.... There are PLENTY of deals to be had on bigger safer boats

32bit.flannel

Seaman Apprentice

Just to clarify (and keep you all from thinking I'm crazy or anything...): it was a mistake to breath mention of lake Erie in this discussion. My primary goal is to walleye and musky fish on the inland lakes in the area. Some are 10hp limit, some 20hp limit, some unlimited. For 90% of this boat's use, in my possetion, it will be on calm waters of less than 20,000 acres. I just wanted to know how abnormal it was for the boat to be running the way that it is, what might cause it and if tabs/floats could help for the year or two that I have her.

To recap the suggestions:
Ill try running solo sans gear to see is weight plays into it.
When I paint the hull this summer ill check for sags or other badness.
Ill try with/without the tale on the 18 to see if it differs from the 25 at all.
If all above fails, and the mfg doesn't respond or tells me it is normal, them imma try tabs.

Aside from selling it ASAP and avoiding the big E...anything else I missed?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

get us that video..... that will tell all....... MIGHT ease your mind too as it may not be as bad as you think

DuckHunterJon

Lieutenant Junior Grade

http://www.32bit-flannel.net/pics/sadme.jpg

A few things I'd come across that sounded worth looking into are some float pods for the stern, or maybe smart tabs would be smarter (pun intended) as they should bring the *** up out of the water when I'm planning...right?

I might have missed it, but I guess I don't understand what's going on. According to your illustration (which is really great by the way, even captures the emotion of the issue!) - the boat is sinking into the water when at speed. That's not normal, boats rise up out of the water when on plane. You also mentioned speeds that should be well above planing speed, so I'm assuming either the speed was incorrect and you are not on plane, or you are just seeing water spray up the sides of the hull - not the surface of the water. Can you clarify?

32bit.flannel

Seaman Apprentice

DuckHunterJohn:
Basically when I get moving from about 10-15MHP through top speed, 22-24MPH per the GPS with 3D-fix, if I look back at the port or starboard most portions of the top of the transom (right where those cupped channels of the gunwale end) I see it cutting into/through the water. If I place my hand on said portion of the gunwale and wrap my fingers around the top of the curve of the channel they will too be cutting through the water. This isn't just splash, it is the lake. My dad (was in another boat) even mentioned "boy does that thing sit low in the water when it runs", but he didn't say that it seemed to be down off plane. It doesn't *feel* like it is not planing but from how it appears during this situation it seems as if the boat is just cutting its own channel (the width of the beam) into the lake and sitting the stern down into it as it makes way. As I mentioned before these are my first few runs on this boat, and my first few runs ever with this hull type...so perhaps my *feeling* up on plane is false and this boat really handles differently and is even faster than I've yet to experience...when up on plane.

SmokeOTW: I think you're right that a video will put this to bed, one way or another. I *might* get out Sunday, but if I do I'll likely only have a 10hp to play with because my coil for the 18hp still hasn't even shipped out...and IF we get out the lake we will likely end up at has a 20hp limit.

'78 Crusader

Chief Petty Officer

Lose some weight!!!

freelancer

Petty Officer 1st Class

:confused: Watching this one with curiosity :)

Andy'sDelight

Petty Officer 1st Class

Definitely would love to see the video!

32bit.flannel

Seaman Apprentice

A small update:

I took off the flush mount on the rear bench to move my seat over (for whatever reason they had the seat on the left of the tiller, forcing you to use your right hand to drive) and found the foam in there was looking pretty soggy. The previous owner had let it sit out uncovered, for how long I don't know, but I started to wonder if my seat was 200lbs full of wet foam. After drilling some drain holes at the bottom and cutting an access port at the top, I ended up removing several gallons of water. Some of the foam was soaked, some was doing a good job of not retaining water, so I also left my access port open and in the sun to help evaporate any remaining moisture. Aside from being a small can of worms I think I may have dropped a quick 30-60lbs in the rear so hopefully that helps. Still no video but I will get one up here in the next few weeks or so when I can.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Once that foam is saturated there is little you can do to dry it out. If you replace it with brand new foam the problem might be solved.:)

Glad you figured it out before the boat got swamped.

32bit.flannel

Seaman Apprentice

Finally ganna take her out again this weekend. Just to recap here are the changes since my last run:

Drained 3-4 gallons of water from inside the rear bench
Removed the old soggy wet foam from said bench (to be replaced with some liquid foam)
Got the 18hp running again :)
Replaced the 9x9 prop with a 9.25x10
Removed the hydrofoil
Installed the Smart Tabs (please no controversy, I've read it plenty)
Moved the gas tank to front of the rear bench (was previously behind it)
Installed a comfy seat to keep my butt awake.

I will probably start out with the tabs disabled to get a good feel for how it behaves just from (re)moving weight A buddy is supposed to join me so if it continues to run low in the stern I'll get him to take a video so I can share it. Wish me luck fellas!

32bit.flannel

Seaman Apprentice

Finally ganna take her out again this weekend. Just to recap here are the changes since my last run:

Drained 3-4 gallons of water from inside the rear bench
Removed the old soggy wet foam from said bench (to be replaced with some liquid foam)
Got the 18hp running again :)
Replaced the 9x9 prop with a 9.25x10
Removed the hydrofoil
Installed the Smart Tabs (please no controversy, I've read it plenty)
Moved the gas tank to front of the rear bench (was previously behind it)
Installed a comfy seat to keep my butt awake.

I will probably start out with the tabs disabled to get a good feel for how it behaves just from (re)moving weight A buddy is supposed to join me so if it continues to run low in the stern I'll get him to take a video so I can share it. Wish me luck fellas!

Well she ran like a new boat! I never did run it without the tabs, and I think I still can get more from them by adjusting the mounting bracket, but it now runs and planes as I expected. The results: Up on plane by 16mph, a good 7"+ of freeboard, handles much better and runs way faster. I was hitting 23mph with my 18hp, whereas last time out my dads 25hp was topping at 24mph. After I get the tabs dialed in I think I can get a couple more out of it yet. I still plan to (eventually) run without the tabs, but at the end of the day I think ill be all set.

Thanks to you all who provided input!

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

I believe what you are truely seeing is the reduction in weight and the change to a larger prop. Glad to hear it's working it's self out!

32bit.flannel

Seaman Apprentice

I believe what you are truely seeing is the reduction in weight and the change to a larger prop. Glad to hear it's working it's self out!

Good points sir. When I try it without the tabs perhaps ill switch back the prop too just to get a true baseline comparison. I think that other prop trolled better, this time out the motor was jumpy when at idle in gear and I was thinking probably from the added resistence of the deeper pitch.