How can I get rid of the water in the hull?

BoatAddicti0n

Seaman Apprentice
The volume between the hull and dack in my norwgian "Skibsplast TC 17" should be sealed. But I found a small crack on the deck, close to the stern. Water obviously found its way through that hole.

I have drilled an small inspection hole and realized she has water in the hull.
It wouldnt be a problem if the hull was not filled with polyurethane foam (or something very similar). The foam is somewhat wet and I am not sure how much extra weight is there.

May be I am just alarmed with my low mileage, but

Can anyone give me idea on how to get rid of the water ?

Does not seem to be feasible to remove the foam, unless with use of some "magic" chemistry to turn the polyurethane foam into liquid.

Even if that sort of chemsitry exist, wouldn't be the foam also to provide robustness to the construction?

I wanna keep the boat (I find she cute!), but of course will consider a new one just to make sure I am alone in the boat.

Sure that I am not the first to have this issue,
I'd appreciate any input!
Thanks!

Attachments

• Skibsplast  17 TC.jpg
    Skibsplast 17 TC.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 0

rickryder

Commander
Re: How can I get rid of the water in the hull?

Welcome to the Dry Dock!

There is a tool to remove water logged foam in a boat.... It's called a circular saw..... Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but there is no way to dry out the foam and the only way to remove it is to cut open the deck...

Jeep Man

Commander

If the foam has not absorbed water yet, then a small pump with a hose attachment will get it out. If it has absorbed the water it needs to be removed immediately. It will promote rot and mold growth, as well as add significant weight to your boat.

BoatAddicti0n

Seaman Apprentice

That kind of foam has structural function also?
Do I need to foam the entire hull in the end?

It have had water in there for a while, I assume.

What more implications if I use it during the summer, repair in November...

I will take some pics tomorrow.

Thanks a lot!

Bondo

Staff member

The volume between the hull and dack in my norwgian "Skibsplast TC 17" should be sealed.

Ayuh,... Actually, it Shouldn't be sealed at All...

It Should have limberholes which allows all the water to drain to the pumpable bilge...

BoatAddicti0n

Seaman Apprentice

Well, Band-o, since the hull is filled with foam (as far as I can see), and the bilge pump has a specific place over the deck, the maker intention was to not allow water under the deck. Project failure in this norwegian boat, produced between 1970-76?

Anyway, as I understand now, the recomendation would be to open the deck, remove the foam (which has been wet at least from last 12 months). Is this a common sense?

After that, should I re-fill or not re-fill the hull with foam?

If I do not refill the hull with foam, I can of course have limberholes as you suggested, having the bilge pump located under the deck. Probably more confortable for me, but I have concerns if the foam is part of the structure, providing robustness to the construction...opinions on this structure matter?

Bondo

Staff member

Well, Band-o, since the hull is filled with foam (as far as I can see), and the bilge pump has a specific place over the deck, the maker intention was to not allow water under the deck. Project failure in this norwegian boat, produced between 1970-76?

Anyway, as I understand now, the recomendation would be to open the deck, remove the foam (which has been wet at least from last 12 months). Is this a common sense?

After that, should I re-fill or not re-fill the hull with foam?

If I do not refill the hull with foam, I can of course have limberholes as you suggested, having the bilge pump located under the deck. Probably more confortable for me, but I have concerns if the foam is part of the structure, providing robustness to the construction...opinions on this structure matter?

Ayuh,... If ya rebuild her, 'n refoam it for structure, I'd still put limber holes in, 'n make it able to drain, so what's happened, don't happen again...

BoatAddicti0n

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the feedback!

What would you recommend: restore it or leave it and buy another boat?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

Its a good looking boat, if you like it, I would take the time to restore it. If the foam has been wet for at least 12 months, I can tell you for a fact, it will not dry!, I would be concerned also about the transom, it may be showing signs of rot in it as well, of course that depends on how long that water has been in there, you might do some searching on transom and floor replacement, the only real way to know if it is structural is to contact the company that made it, or pull the floor up and look at the engineering design under the floor. Being a European boat, I really don't know what requirements they had, or if they used foam as a structural component. Many here in the states simply used it as flotation...I did own one Chrysler aluminum 15 footer that it was the whole structure as the boat did not have any stringers in it, it was basically and complete sandwich injection molded system.

just make sure you know what your getting your self into before doing any thing to the boat. resorting the boat might take a 6-months to a year or two. also you will dumb tons of money into. if you have the money and a long time to do it. than go for it but if not just sell the boat you will get good money for it as is. if you start the restoration and decide you don't want to than you will loose so much money.

BoatAddicti0n

Seaman Apprentice

Being a European boat, I really don't know what requirements they had, or if they used foam as a structural component. Many here in the states simply used it as flotation...

Spoke to the maker this morning, the boss there mentioned to have foam in all length of the hull, which is just for flotation. The deck, yes, it is part of the structure.

He recommended me to cut open the deck, remove the foam, and to rebuild the deck with wood and fiberglass, but recommended to not foam the hull as she's under the 20ft (20 and above require a floatation feature by current Nordic standard).

BoatAddicti0n

Seaman Apprentice

just make sure you know what your getting your self into before doing any thing to the boat. resorting the boat might take a 6-months to a year or two. also you will dumb tons of money into. if you have the money and a long time to do it

I love this boat and with some support I have the skills to do it, but confess to be a bit concerned about the energy, time, and money required restore it...

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

I can tell ya right now BAO that if I had that boat here in MI You would have to pull my cold hands off that before I let it go :) . That boat would go to my great grandkids after I was done with it.. heheh

Do you have any pics of the under structure of the boat..or even the deck layout ? could use one for the Hull/deck joint as well.

There has not been a determination of what is good or bad as far as the stringers or trans .. so dont get overloaded at this point ( I used to make some small little speed boats that were foam filled..but the trans and stringers were basic lifetime use even if the foam melted away ).

Cool Friggin boat IMHO ( wish I was in Sweden right about now :) ) .

YD.

BoatAddicti0n

Seaman Apprentice

That boat would go to my great grandkids after I was done with it.. heheh
Hey YD, no words to express the feeling when reading you comments!

Do you have any pics of the under structure of the boat..or even the deck layout ? could use one for the Hull/deck joint as well.
There has not been a determination of what is good or bad as far as the stringers or trans .. so dont get overloaded at this point
You touched the point where I stand right know: there has not been any determination other than I have drilled an 1/4" hole and can see it is humid down there.

I have never cut open the deck, so I have no pic from stringer or transom.

Some deck pics I have for now are here.
pic #1
DSC00533.jpg
pic #2
DSC00538.jpg
pic #3
DSC00537.jpg
pic #4
DSC00539.jpg

How should I proceed: open a larger hole close to stern, beneath the back seat? How large to be inspection-functional and easy to fix/cover-and-use, 4 inches, 10 ? And further analyze the foam/humidity? Fair enough?

I believe I need to assess the state of transom/strings/floor/foam and need support on how to do it in the best way.

Other suggestions?

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

If it was my boat.. I would check the transom first.

Just use a 1/4 " bit on a drill and see what comes out m8..

IF the boat is not falling apart at the seams then use it for the season and inspect more in the fall/winter ..

Most Boats have rotted or wet Stringers and Transoms ..

Some are obviously Dangerous .. but most dont even know its there until they have a serv start with there meters and hammers.

Its a Cool boat and I for one would be heart broke to see you rid yourself of a very Fine design.

Cheers..

YD.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Welcome to iBoats!!!

IMHO You MUST restore that KOOL Boat!! It has so much to offer. Even if it's a total restore it would be worth it. They don't make em like that anymore and if you do it right, Your grandkids will THANK you for it. YD is absolutely correct about the transom. Does the boat have a bilge? If so, do your drill test down by the drain tube. Drill only about 3/4" deep DO NOT drill all the way thru. If you get dark brown wet damp shavings then not so good. Drill again about 6" higher up and see what you get. Use 3M 5200 or some marine tex to fill the holes after drilling.

rickryder

Commander

That is a great looking boat!

BoatAddicti0n

Seaman Apprentice

...Does the boat have a bilge? If so, do your drill test down by the drain tube. Drill only about 3/4" deep DO NOT drill all the way thru. If you get dark brown wet damp shavings then not so good. Drill again about 6" higher up and see what you get. Use 3M 5200 or some marine tex to fill the holes after drilling.
The lowest transom part I can access from inside is close to the deck, about 10 or 12" above the keel. The deck is sealed in the stern, only way to go down to assess it close to the bottom, would cutting open the deck or drilling from outside. I am obviously trying to avoid both due to be destructive. I will start assessing the transom close to the deck now in the morning and gather some pic from that area...will post results and pic. Thanks a lot!
P.S. If possible I'd use the boat during the season an restore during the winter, that will be my goal...

BoatAddicti0n

Seaman Apprentice

I have drilled the 1/4" in the transom, about the deck level.

center.jpg

The transom shavings look gold clear at that height.
transomShaving.jpg

The transom also visually looks rock solid, all corners intact, inside and outside.
rightCorner.jpg
out.jpg
But bad, bad, looking is the 5/16 hole I have drilled in the deck 2 days ago: that now shows the water surging and coming up to the floor surface, see bellow.
Half-InchHoleDeck.jpg

I have the chance to have the boat in the dry dock, cut open the floor to remove the damp foam/water. To my eyes, with water coming up, this seems to be the right thing to do.

My Plan would be to cut (3 or 4) 15" square holes across the deck, remove the foam/water, to evaluate further the state. Possibly fix and close the deck with wood/fiberglass.

I 'd start cutting the first beneath the back seat where I have drilled the 5/16" inspection hole. Remove foam and water, inspect, then proceed with the others if needed.

I do not have that much experience with boats, but to my eyes, does not seem simple to remove entire floor, due to seat-bases (therefore my plan to open only square holes). To remove entire floor, seems to need to remove/destroy all the seat-bases, including the green wall/support for the back seat (see my post #14, pic #4). It would be quite a hazard!

Other option to try to pump water wouldn't probably solve the problem..

Any opinions/instructions on how to proceed? Is my plan feasible at least to verify if the wooden parts including deck structure are in decent conditions ?

BoatAddicti0n

Seaman Apprentice

Hello!
I am planning to open the deck tomorrow!
Any input on the best way to do it, based on the deck layout, investigation results etc.?

Hey Yacht Dr. where are you?
Woodonglass, are you out sailing this early?
Anyone else to comment?!

Your input really makes difference!

Thanks a lot!