How does this site work?

jdlough

Master Chief Petty Officer
Yo,
Trying to figure this out, found nothing in the FAQs.

There are 2 columns to the left of the thread title. What do they mean?
My boat lift thread now has a little icon dude with sunglasses. Is it now cool?
How did it get cool?

If I click on 'Rating', the threads are reshuffled into an order with the first having a bunch of stars. How does one earn a bunch of stars?

I see now that I am a 'Seaman Apprentice.' Can I now order all the cadets to mow my lawn, etc, just like in the old Navy days? That'd be cool.

There seems to be a bunch of nice features of this site that are not explained. (Unless there's a button labled 'Cool features for Newbies' that I didn't see, in which case, nevermind.

I can't imagine how Tashasdaddy keeps up with all his posts. There must be something I'm missing.

Clueless In Nanticoke,
Jim

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: How does this site work?

Post boating related questions.....and in return you get anything from experience....opinion and fact,that's about it, as for Ratings..the more you post the higher up you go,the best bet is to go with the flow..............

mthieme

Captain
Re: How does this site work?

Welcome aboard.
It's a basic forum, hang it there and nose around.
True the FAQs are fairly worthless outside of giving you the basics.
The second column you can add a "post icon" to which are below the message you are editing. I haven't figured out the first one although some of the icons are obviouis such as a lock. I suspect the moderators have control over this column.
Clicking on the top column (rating) just resorts the list.
The post count is cumulative. You can see when a person joined, Tashasdaddy joined 11/05. He's a regular - here almost everyday.
Moderators will step in when necessary and toss a yellow flag.
Lotsa knowledge, fun and few spirited debates.
Ask away.