1966 starcraft

blacksmith04

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just bought a 1966 16ft with a merc 500. It has sat for a few years and is missing the windshield but for only $400 I couldn't pass it up. Is there anything I should know about these boats.known problems ect.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1966 starcraft

Great boats. They leak a little like every other tin boat but some rivet tightening and application of Gluvit will solve that. Welcome to the forum. There are a TON of Starcraft enthusiasts on here. We'd love to see some pics of your new boat.

blacksmith04

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok so today I got the paint picked out with the help of my boy. Cleaned the inside of all the trash and started to power wash it. Tomorrow will be hand washing and degreasing to prep for paint. Going to do green over white and all the trim in semi-gloss black. That just leaves tires, lights, water pump and blige pump.

dozerII

Admiral

Welcome to the club Blacksmith, you will have to post some photos so we can see what model you have, and to appease the angy mob.
Glen

TheWrks

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wecome to the club blacksmith as other have said post some photo's of you tinny...

Regards,

Scott

blacksmith04

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Would love to but I don't know how to post pics on here.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Best way is to create a free account on a picture hosting site like photobucket.com. Then just link to them from there. That's what most of us are doing.

blacksmith04

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'll work on getiing some pics up tomorrow. Has anyone ever made their own windshield for their boat?

Huron Angler

Admiral

The only "known problems" I have with these tin cans is not having enough of them, or one that's big enough:D

Welcome to the site smitty, post some photos so we can see what you've got there.

blacksmith04

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok been out for a bit. Family got hit hard with the flu bug over the weekend. I felt better today so I got the lower droped and a new waterpump impeller put in the old merc. Now I just have to find the sweet spot to get it to go back in the last inch.I'll get it done tomorrow and I'll get some pics up as well. Thank you for the like on the windshield. Was about what I was thinking only alot simplier. I tend to make things into brick poop houses. I like it wood , plexi and trim.

blacksmith04

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok so I think I know why the P/O sold this. It only has forward gear. lol. I'll get it fixed soon enough. Ok got the lower back on today and got it fired up. The only mixed gas I had was some older 25 or 20:1 for my 63' 5.5hp. I thought that with as long as it had been sitting a little extra oil wouldn't hurt things. It fired right up and ran like a raped ape. Never died once. After 5-10min with the muffs on it was still cool to the touch. No pee from the tell/tale but was blowing alot from the prop. I can't wait to see what it's like with fresh gas.

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

Disconnect the shift cable and shift it by hand to see IF it will go into forward gear. Then if its ok adjust the cable its very easy to do. Hopefully it will not need repair. OH re read the post Manually shift it into reverse. Then adjust it. You wont need to stsrt it it will lock the prop if it goes into gear.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Welcome blacksmith! Now that boat looks familiar. Have fun with your new project man!!

blacksmith04

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Disconnect the shift cable and shift it by hand to see IF it will go into forward gear. Then if its ok adjust the cable its very easy to do. Hopefully it will not need repair. OH re read the post Manually shift it into reverse. Then adjust it. You wont need to stsrt it it will lock the prop if it goes into gear.

Easier then that. Drop the lower leg and turn the shift shaft into reverse. Put the controls into reverse then bolt everything back up. Alot of people have had this problem with the old merc's.

blacksmith04

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I wasn't tring to be smart. It's just that alot of guys have done this with the older merc 500's and this is the faster way for me to fix it. If it does not work then I'll refer back to your post.

tgp***

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Another 66', NICE!! I found it an easy boat to work on, good luck, and remember we like photo's