1972 Evinrude Fastwin Help

2fast4u_evinrude

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey there guys My name is chris and I am new to boating. Always wanted a boat so I bought a 14 feet fiberglass boat with a 1972 evinrude 2 stroke engine. When I bought it I had no idea what I was looking for. So the guys started it up in a tub of water and it run good, shift into gear and started moving water around. The only thing he said was he cant get it to idle long. He was told by someone that he mixed oil too strong.

First run out today and it was windy (big mistake) got the boat started. Position the throttle to the "start" postion then I moved the trottle to the "shift" position and then started to rev the engine back up again. It reved alright but no movement. The motor just rev and rev. I throttle back down and and tried it again and again. Finally I got into gear and went for like 10 seconds then died on me. So I started it again and still cant get it into gear. It does go into reverse but then stalls on me after a few seconds. Please help me out guys. Let me know what it could be? Gear? Shaft? etc? Motor starts fine but I cant shift it gear. THanks in advance

jasper60103

Commander
Re: 1972 Evinrude Fastwin Help

Welcome to boating and your new hobby:D. Since you don't really know the condition of the motor, start with testing compression and spark. Report back with your results. I'm sure this forum can help you get your motor running well.

outlaw241

Petty Officer 2nd Class

lots of help on this board, need to know the hp an model #

outlaw241

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i don't no if that year has a shear pin in the prop, i would pull the cotter pin an nut an prop off an check the condition of the shear pin, while you have the prop off on the part were the shear pin rides i would scribe a line across it just in case the hub inside the prop is slipping, if all is good reassemble an with motor not running put in forward gear an turn prop by hand an see if it is engaging if good check it in neutral prop should spin freely an then check in reverse. this is just a starting point

2fast4u_evinrude

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok i will give that a try when I get home. As for reving it really high and having it in the forward gear would I have a good chance stripping any gears since it didnt seem to engage? Hoping its not a to exspensive fix. I called a local shop and they cant get me in till 3 weeks and our summer be over by then in canada
:( I hope this motor can be fixed

2fast4u_evinrude

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok just got home and without taking anything apart put it in forward gear while motor is off and I can spin the propeller either direction freely and when put in reverse gear the proppeller locks up. Does that tell you anything?

aj1978

Cadet

Sounds to me like your shear pin is broken. Pull the cover off, remove both spark plug wires for safety, (keep them away from plugs) Then remove the cotter key from the nose cone, unscrew the nose cone, remove the prop and behind the prop should be a shear pin, my guess it will fall out in little pieces. Remove the pin, get a new one, replace the prop, and cotter key. Try again. If this works, connect the spark plugs and try er out.

2fast4u_evinrude

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok so pulled the prop off and the sheer pin is good. So what I noticed was that I have to push and hold it forward with pressure and it will lock and as soon as i let go of the shifter prop spins freely. So what I did was played around with the two screws located on the shifter and got it to hook when I have it in the forward position. But now when I put it in reverse the prop spins freely. Not sure how to adjust it properly. I put it in a bucket of water and it goes forward now and not backwards

aj1978

Cadet

do you know if the previous owner, did a water pump recently? Sounds like the shift rods are not in the connector all the way. Little cover on the side of the exhaust housing with 2 screws.

2fast4u_evinrude

Petty Officer 2nd Class

do you know if the previous owner, did a water pump recently? Sounds like the shift rods are not in the connector all the way. Little cover on the side of the exhaust housing with 2 screws.

Not to sure if the previous owner did the water pump. I took that cover off the exhaust housing and there was two screws on the shift rods. I loosen them and tried to fiddle around with it. Didnt seem to make a difference. Still goes into forward and not reverse. Looks like its not shifting all the way when using the shifter. If I push the rod down with my fingers it will put it will hook to the reverse position. Looks like something is not aligned propperly. Not sure how to re position it. Any ideas?

bob1340

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have that same outboard, 1971 18 hp 18102s. Great unit. I strongly suggest you get the factory service manual. It is still available and is a great help when working on the motor. It sounds like you had something come loose or broke in the shifter linkage. On the side of the exhaust housing
is a small oval plate with 2 screws. Remove that and look inside. This is the connector link between the upper and lower sections of the shifter rod. Move the shifter and see if anything is loose.
You have an epic motor there. Take care of it.
I suggest:
1. Get the manual
2. Read the stickys at the top of this section.
3. Replace the water pump impeller.
4. Drain and change the oil and check it for water.
5. Do the spark check.
6. Rebuild the carb and get a new fuel pump.

14ftgrumman

Chief Petty Officer

The shift rods have to be fully into the clamp, then the bolts are put in and tightened.

But as said above, check the compression and replace the water pump impeller, and a manual is a must. Possible the shifter cradle is worn?

bob1340

Petty Officer 1st Class

BTW Here are diagrams of that motor.

http://www.crowleymarine.com/johnson-evinrude/1182.cfm

I never bought anything from them, but I do like the pictures.

Many of the parts for your motor are available. You can get parts here on iboats and many other places. If one place says the part is no longer available, look elsewhere.

2fast4u_evinrude

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for all the info guys, been ver helpful. Im gonna mess around it somemore and see what happens

2fast4u_evinrude

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am looking to order some parts for it just incase something goes wrong. What would be good common parts to have in hand?

bob1340

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am looking to order some parts for it just incase something goes wrong. What would be good common parts to have in hand?

Most parts you can get in less than a week. Order the service manual first. Tearing the lower unit down is pretty simple on those. There are no bearings in the gearcase. All bronze bushings. You will want all the seals for it. The rear seal next to the prop is supposily no replaceable. You have to buy the whole bushing/seal unit which is pricey. On mine this seal and bushing was bad so I was out a couple bucks on that. The "cord" type rubber seal between the 2 halves of the gearbox is not available that I could find. I reused the old one and cooped it with permatex.

Being you have a shift problem it could be something in the gear case busted. Some of that stuff may not be available. But junkyard parts are good as well.

Only spare parts I think I'll carry are a set of plugs and a spare shear pin and cotter pin for the prop.

2fast4u_evinrude

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just another quick question is there any way to modify the throttle to a shifter? I have the 18hp mounted to the steering wheel at the front but have to go to the back to adjust speed. Sorry if I missed this info in the sticky