How do i catch that Bluefish???

Windykid

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: How do i catch that Bluefish???

The best luck I had was trolling through schools with bunker as bait or large spoon.

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander

Oh man I had a blast casting silver lures off a pier in Wilmington, NC for them a couple years ago. Sure you could troll, and other people on the pier were jigging for them, but there's nothing like casting into an active school to really get your blood pumping.

By the way, don't forget the wire leader. They will cut right through mono line.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

The question should be: "How can I get under those nasty bluefish down to where the stripers are"
You can get a bluefish trolling an old shoe.The schools have become huge.Last year we caught 20 blues for every striper.They are more of a pest than dog fish!
The only fun thing to do with them is feeding them to the seals.
nb. This is for the Cape Cod Bay area

turfman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The question should be: "How can I get under those nasty bluefish down to where the stripers are"
You can get a bluefish trolling an old shoe.The schools have become huge.Last year we caught 20 blues for every striper.They are more of a pest than dog fish!
The only fun thing to do with them is feeding them to the seals.
nb. This is for the Cape Cod Bay area

Exactly.

There must be a sweet spot between the blues and dogfish; quite frankly, I had trouble finding it this year.

But I've been killing the tog so far.

Flukinicehole

Petty Officer 1st Class

You can catch bluefish up here with a garbage can lid. They eat just about anything.

pduquette

Ensign

HHEEYY !! Jus toss those Blues my way!!!:D Sure I love stripers; but I also enjoy Bluefish Patae too ! Great little Co. up here Manufactures it - and I'm having fun working out my own version . Kinda fun grinding them up....:D

flier

Recruit

One time I caught a bigger blue on a SMALLER blue that I was reeling in. He wasn't hooked but he wouldn't give up! So the net grabbed them both. lol
I was wondering if I took off a shoe and tied it on a hook......

jonesg

Admiral

Geez last summer they were swarming in schools marauding all over cape cod, we were in the Canal, they chop lures in half. Then sharks came chasing the blues, it was wild. Just about any cheap lure you can put in front of them.

Poppers, swimmers, chunks of herring, jigs, you name it.

tylerr83

Petty Officer 2nd Class

if blues around, fresh chunk bait, make sure ya got plenty cuz they'll tear it up quick....if they're hittin the surface throw a topwater lure....thats a blast for blues

Pursuit2150

Chief Petty Officer

My favorite is ACME, or Hopkins, with a 3" piece of squid. or a live minnow, single hook.
When near a school, "DO NOT" go into it, just cast into the school, or they will sound, or go away. LOL

fishnut/2008go

Recruit

:)I always do good on Bluefish w/ diamond jigs. Just locate school.Then Let jig hit bottom &pull rod up about 9oclock fast,if u don't get a hit, (repeat but go to 11 oclock!

chiefalen

Captain

Any shiny jig,spoon will do with a treble you can't miss.

Over here in the raritan i just got a 31 incher almost pulled me out of the boat.

Than got a 20 incher.

Goin for stripper day after the tomorrow, big rain and blow commin tomorrow.

69seabreeze

Cadet

I've caught them with squid and minnows off a boat or off the beach with a big spoon.