66 johnson 9.5

delvina

Cadet
sent out to mechanic to rebuild carb after this still wont idle without full choke.he says bushing under flywheel is sucking air ,and wants 200.00 to replace it.can i do this myself, is it hard,can anyone help.thanks guys

crxess

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 66 johnson 9.5

Have you got a tank,trash can or whatever to run the motor in?
Not that I'm calling him on this, but it doesn't sound right to me. Is he a certified marine mechanic or just someone that works on boat motors?(I have a good neighborhood mechanic nearby)

With the cover removed and the plastic flame arrester removed from the carb top(snaps off)
Set the choke, start the motor.
Place the palm of your hand Firmly over the carb opening. Give it a few seconds and the motor should stall.

Next, using pre-mix in a squirt bottle. Start the motor.
Spray a little mix into the carb opening.
Does it idle up?

Evinrude carbs can get stopped up and Not cleaning them PROPERLY is a big issue. The High speed orifice is suspect as it allows most of the fuel movement. Low speed passages are next(for idling)

This is something you can do and should learn to do for future repairs. It takes me about 30 minutes to remove, strip, Clean Well and install the carb on the 9.5

Remove the choke rod
Remove the low speed adjusting NUT(on the carb)
Slide the low speed needle out
Remove the screws holding the carb and lift off.
Remove the drain screw and dump any fuel.
Look inside where you removed the drain screw.
The high speed orifice is in that opening, about 3/4 inch back.
Poke a wire through it to clear any debris. Flush with CRC Carb cleaner

Run the CRC Cleaner nozzle into the idle adjusting opening and against the low speed orifice. Spray to clear and confirm good spray into the carb throat from there.(3 small holes) If no spray, run a wire through that passage.

If these 2 passages are not spotless you will have trouble with idle and poor performance period.

I purchased a 9.5 2 weeks ago for $152 not running. 10 minutes to look things over. 20 minutes on the carb and it runs like a top.:D

delvina

Cadet

thanks for that info will try that tomorrow .they say cleaned the hi speed jet with rebuild but who knows. this boat shop was highly recomended by my neighbor thanks much.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

sent out to mechanic to rebuild carb after this still wont idle without full choke.he says bushing under flywheel is sucking air ,and wants 200.00 to replace it.can i do this myself, is it hard,can anyone help.thanks guys

There is no bushing under the flywheel. There is an oil seal that COULD be the problem, but probably isn't. I'd like to change it for you for $200 and laugh all the way to the bank. However, there is a BEARING below the seal that could also be the problem. $200 would be a bargain if that were so. In fact if it is the problem, the motor is junk.

jeff_smith_0423

Chief Petty Officer

Does it idle with the cover off? Those motors are notorious for exhaust seal issues. Been there.

delvina

Cadet

it was a seal he said needed replaced not a bearing anyone know how to pull flywheel and replace it thanks.

Elbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Im lost,The seal under the fly wheel mite cause a problem in vaccum in the crank case,that runs the fuel pump,maybe not sure how that is the case.But that would be the only thing involved with the carb that I know of.How would you diagnose that with the flywheel on?

kbait

Commander

This has gotten insane. It needs the carb cleaned. I've done 6 x 9.5hp's in the last month that needed carb cleaned. Then, if proper spark, they run. All friggin' done. Really.

crxess

Chief Petty Officer

Work your carb first. It is a cost free(or low) Venture involving little time/effort.
Of the hundreds of post about motor issues, Most have been resolved by correcting Fuel supply. Next is proper spark.
Even many of the nasty problems like cylinder scoring and bearing damage relate back to poor fuel delivery starving lubrication.

If you still believe the top seal is bad try this.
Get a spray bottle of water. Set to stream.
Find a good angle to spray under the timing plate(safely) to the center of the motor top.(crank shaft area)
Start the motor.
Spray briskly toward the crank.
If it is sucking air, it will suck water. The motor will smooth out as the air flow is blocked.

If it stalls and won't start, you got the points, etc. wet.

Oh, almost forgot. If the top seal is leaking there should be signs of Fuel oil on the motor. Each time a piston moves down its bore it creates pressure in the block. Some fuel/oil should be expelled past a bad seal.:cool:

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Im lost,The seal under the fly wheel mite cause a problem in vaccum in the crank case,that runs the fuel pump,maybe not sure how that is the case.But that would be the only thing involved with the carb that I know of.How would you diagnose that with the flywheel on?

A grossly leaking seal can let air into the crankcase. Remember, on a two-stroke all the fuel/air mixture goes through the crankcase on its way to the cylinders. Adding more air through a leak upsets the fuel/air ratio (makes it more lean). Maybe the guy had the flywheel off?? Or maybe it is slopping oil all over the powerhead, giving him a clue?? I don't know, I am not there looking at the motor.

delvina

Cadet

its the cleanest motor ive ever had ran for 1 hr in barrel today idle rpm going crazy put it in gear runs sood at hi speed.no oil anywhere .i agree the carb must still be dirty, he chargeed me 130.00 for rebuild wwill chalk uo to experience will pull carb tonite.almost forgot someone took apart before no kit used no new gaskets they used blue sealer instead i bet he didnt get all out. thanks guys