New starter drive will not fit

teslaman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I purchased a new starter drive (# 18-5679) for my 115 73 v4 Johnson. The bottom plate fits nicely, but the pinion gear, spacer, spring, and stop will not fit on the shaft -- the diameter of the starter shaft is too large.

I've compared the pinion gear to the old one and it appears to be identical in the # of teeth and spacing between the teeth. The problem is the shaft size. Any suggestions?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: New starter drive will not fit

I believe that the Sierra part you need is #18-5634.

teslaman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That part seems to be the entire starter unit. I'm only interested in changing the gear, spring, and other components that do on the starter shaft.

I apologize for my previous description, and can see how it can easily be mistaken for a starter unit. I have a unit that seems to work OK, I simply need to replace some of the components on the shaft and have seemed to order the wroing ones. Do you have any suggestions on which part I need?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

My fault, I did not look up the number you gave. The 1973 starters were Bosch and Prestolite and the parts are not interchangeable.

Look up the starter diagrams on the BRP site so that you can tell which one you have:

http://epc.brp.com/default.aspx?brands=ej&lang=E

I believe that the kit you have is for the Bosch starter

teslaman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I need a new drive assembly and spring, anti-drift. ishopmarine.com sells these items but they are expensive:

drive assembly 318904 $93.29
spring, anti-drift 318903 $8.67

I'll cross-reference that to a Sierra part if possible. Could I find a used one in good condition for a cheaper price?

teslaman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry, the correct part numbers are:

drive assemble: 318902
spring: 318904

DHPMARINE

Captain

That's alot for parts.Have you priced a complete starter here at Iboats? Also try arcomarine.com.Also a local starter rebuild shop may help you.Remind them it's marine use.

DHP

teslaman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've compared drawings of the prestolite and bosch models. I'm pretty sure that my starter is a bosch. I found a drive assembly on iboats for ~$25, but I can't find the spring. The spring on my drive is broken so I need to find one.

There is a local shop that sells used parts, I'll call them and see if they have such a part. I'd rather by both the drive assembly and spring new if possible, since these components experience wear.

The drive assembly is OMC 385949, iboats sell part #18-5656 in its place. Do you have an idea where I may find a spring?

papasage

Senior Chief Petty Officer

try N A P A. autoparts . i just bought a brush set for a prestolite . a starter rebuild shop said he couldn`t git the parts to repair it. 1974 70 hp .

teslaman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the help.

I was able to order a new starter drive and spring from ishopmarine.com. The drive assembly costs ~ $24 and the spring ~$13.

Hopefully these components will fit.