Court Restores Inmates' Voting Rights

ricksrster

Commander
Re: Court Restores Inmates' Voting Rights

ricksrster said:
In NY, after release, convicted felons can vote. They cannot run for public office. Also, a convicted felon can obtain a Relief of Disabilities from a judge to restore most of his rights. This is usually done for DWI (Non-violent) felons so they can possess firearms to hunt.

Kenneth Brown

Captain

No Eric I don't.
I think those people should be shot on sight.

Plainsman

Rear Admiral

Kenneth said:
No Eric I don't.
I think those people should be shot on sight.

I believe that you wouldn't want that. I was just trying to make a point that these felons should not get these rights back. Then it starts to snowball and it won't stop.

Bondo

Staff member

Oooo…show me where I said any thing about a Disenfranchised Felon. What point are you trying to make?

Well Treehugger,.........

You're the 1 who's Whining about little Johnny,+ his Drug Problem,...........
And, You're the 1 who said he has become a Senator, but Still Can't vote..........
And,...... Most Importantly,......
This thread is About "Disenfranchised Felons"............

I'm just trying to set Your Facts Straight for you.........

If you'd notice the postings by ricksrster,........

You'd see that there IS a way for a Normal Human Being to regain any rights lost by prior indiscretions.......
There are Laws,+ Rules to be followed,+ When the paperwork is done,.....
The Felon is granted a "Relief of Civil Disabilities",.........

That Doesn't mean that All Felons should Not have their Civil Rights taken Away,..........
And,....
It Sure as 'ell Doesn't mean that All Felons should just Suddenly have All their Rights Restored,......
Just because of Time.......

No Way Felons should be allowed to Vote or run for Public Office,....
While Incarcerated...........

Next you Liberals will want to have all the Incarcerated Felons to serve Mandatory Jury Duty,..........
Just so You won't have to Waste Your Time giving them some Cell Mates.........

Skinnywater

Commander

A little bit of a stretch to say that all of the felons would vote liberal, don'tcha think?.....

Quite a unique special interest group.
Yeah, they'll vote liberal. They prey on them.

treedancer

Commander

Quote Bond-O

Well Treehugger,.........

You're the 1 who's Whining about little Johnny,+ his Drug Problem,...........
And, You're the 1 who said he has become a Senator, but Still Can't vote..........
And,...... Most Importantly,......
This thread is About "Disenfranchised Felons"

Well Bond-O, I guess that Little Johnny is a resident of one of the following states because these eight states can at there discretion, keep any body from voting with a felony conviction.

Wyoming, Virginia, New Mexico, Nevada, Mississippi, Iowa, Delaware and Alabama.

Quoting Bond-O

If you'd notice the postings by ricksrster

Rickster posting

<<In NY, after release, convicted felons can vote. They cannot run for public office. Also, a convicted felon can obtain a Relief of Disabilities from a judge to restore most of his rights. This is usually done for DWI (Non-violent) felons so they can possess firearms to hunt.
>>

Hate to argue with Rickster, but have a look at this ruling, look on the bright side they wont be on any jury duty slurping taxpayer money from the jury fund.8)

http://www.oag.state.ny.us/lawyers/opinions/1998/formal/98_f8.htmlsure

The right to vote and to hold public office are automatically restored to New York felons upon the completion of their sentences, including all parole. Election Law § 5-106(2); Civil Rights Law § 79. Such automatic restoration is sufficient to constitute a restoration of these rights within the meaning of the GCA. See, McGrath v United States, supra, at 1008. However, New York felons are statutorily prohibited from serving as jurors. Judiciary Law § 510. This statutory bar may be removed by obtaining a Certificate of Relief from Disabilities issued pursuant to Correction Law § 701. See, 1991 Op Atty Gen 10 ("In our view, the language defining the relief granted by these certificates is sufficiently broad to include the right of a felon to serve as a juror . . ."). "A certificate of relief from disabilities may be granted as provided in this article to relieve an eligible offender(4) of any forfeiture or disability, or remove any bar to his employment, automatically imposed by law by reason of his conviction of the crime or offense specified therein." Correction Law § 701. A Certificate of Relief from Disabilities, removing the statutory bar to serve as a juror, is sufficient to restore that right within the meaning of the GCA. See, McGrath v United States, supra, at 1008.

Quote Bond-O
No Way Felons should be allowed to Vote or run for Public Office,....
While Incarcerated

Your absolutely right Bond-O on this point ,nothing but hard time.Stick it to them[/b]:|

Quote bond-O

Next you Liberals will want to have all the Incarcerated Felons to serve Mandatory Jury Duty,..........

Well maybe…. but not in New York its against the law there. You know us libs were law abiding citizens.