Steering problem - I turn the wheel too many times, little motor movement

mcdanida

Cadet
I have a bit of a problem I’m thinking has a simple solution. My “steering” isn’t working as well as I’d like it to. I doesn't appear to be power steering or flex cable, I think it’s a hydraulic mechanical system. As I turn the wheel left, I have to turn steering wheel many many times before getting motor to start turning, not as bad turning right, but bad. Low speed (low load), problem not as bad.

Is there a reservoir to fill steering fluid? Does it sound like I’m low on steering fluid? If you look below, I’ve circled in orange the two lines that go on each side of the hydraulic piston. Each line has a “grease-fitting” type port – is this where I’d fill with fluid, or is this Grease only?

I know this is a stupid question.

Attachments

• steer.jpg
    49 bytes · Views: 0

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: Steering problem - I turn the wheel too many times, little motor movement

Yep...what daddy said. Do you know what company made the system? You can call/email them about possibly getting a manual for the system. Systems come with manuals to show you how to fill and bleed the systems and generally take care of them. Handy thing to have aroung.

HEY!! Welcome to iboats mcdanida!!

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I actually might have made your steering system. I am a retiree from Hynautic, 21 years there. Shoot me an e-mail. gatorsnfrogs@verizon.net

D

DJ

Moving to Boat, not engine problems.

D

DJ

F R,

Can you reply here? The information may help others. No need to go off the board with advice or answers.

Thanks.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Sure, hey no problem. I suggested e-mail so we could exchange some pictures easier, since his didn't go through. I don't know what he has.

D

DJ

F R,

That's cool. Understood.

dhb31

Recruit

I have hydruilc steering and the steering wheel is atached to the pump,and I add fluid to the pump. at the 12 oclock position and it is self bleeding just rotate the steering wheel after filling then refill till it stays full