I wanna "get into the game" questions..

pdonohue01

Cadet
Hi,
I am new to iboats and have decided to purchase a pontoon for family fun next season. I have to do all my research online because I am currently deployed overseas with the Army. I have also been told that now is the time to buy because of end of seasons sales, etc. so I will probably end up making a purchase through iboats, boattrader, or ebay motors at some point. Anyway, Although I don't think I want to pay the money for a new one, my wife and I are thinking that a "newer" one would be the way to go. I think we want a 22'-25', 2004 or newer, 90hp 4 stroke, quality boat with trailer included. So my questions are:
1. I know that Bennington, Manitou and Premier are all top rated boats but what about Sun Tracker? There is a bass pro near my home that my family could check out but it doesn't look like JD Power even rated them?
2. I want enough power to pull a tube for the kids and friends but don't need to ski. I am wondering what the min power I should get for a 22'-25' boat.
3. How difficult is it transporting to different lakes? I plan on keeping it at a nearby lake for day-trips but also want to take it to a bigger lake about 2 1/2 hours away for longer vacation trips.
4. How much $ can I expect to pay for upkeep and maintenance. I know that is a loaded question but I am just curious about winterization and such.
5. Should I just stay away from any pontoon that was used in salt-water without being able to inspect the boat personally before the purchase?
Thanks for any advice. This will be my first boat purchase. I have rented a houseboat for a week on the lake and we loved it and growing up I had some experience with small boats in the bays of Jersey but that was a long time ago.
Patrick

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: I wanna "get into the game" questions..

Hi,
I am new to iboats and have decided to purchase a pontoon for family fun next season. I have to do all my research online because I am currently deployed overseas with the Army. I have also been told that now is the time to buy because of end of seasons sales, etc. so I will probably end up making a purchase through iboats, boattrader, or ebay motors at some point. Anyway, Although I don't think I want to pay the money for a new one, my wife and I are thinking that a "newer" one would be the way to go. I think we want a 22'-25', 2004 or newer, 90hp 4 stroke, quality boat with trailer included. So my questions are:
1. I know that Bennington, Manitou and Premier are all top rated boats but what about Sun Tracker? There is a bass pro near my home that my family could check out but it doesn't look like JD Power even rated them?

I have owned two Sun Trackers in the past and they are great boats even though they are considered entry level. I would not discount any boat. You may try to narrow your choice to two or three specific boats and post back here for advice.

2. I want enough power to pull a tube for the kids and friends but don't need to ski. I am wondering what the min power I should get for a 22'-25' boat.

90 hp

3. How difficult is it transporting to different lakes? I plan on keeping it at a nearby lake for day-trips but also want to take it to a bigger lake about 2 1/2 hours away for longer vacation trips.

No more difficult than any other trailer or boat of equal length.

4. How much $ can I expect to pay for upkeep and maintenance. I know that is a loaded question but I am just curious about winterization and such.

This is a loaded question so here is a loaded answer. For a later model boat not under warranty, run about 50 hrs/year, and requiring winterization, about $200/year with you doing the work. Of course, the older the boat, the more unscheduled maintenance.

Should I just stay away from any pontoon that was used in salt-water without being able to inspect the boat personally before the purchase?

You shouldn't buy any used boat without a personal or professional inspection.

Thanks for any advice. This will be my first boat purchase. I have rented a houseboat for a week on the lake and we loved it and growing up I had some experience with small boats in the bays of Jersey but that was a long time ago.
Patrick

Good luck and welcome to a great forum.

Jeep Man

Commander

Hi,
5. Should I just stay away from any pontoon that was used in salt-water without being able to inspect the boat personally before the purchase?
Patrick

Layout is everything when determining size. Some 22's have more room than 24's depending on layout. I have an '08 Sun Tracker 20 Regency and are quite happy with it. Used will save you a lot of money and there are quite a few '06-'09 units on the market that will be in nearly new condition. Upkeep is minimal. Keep it clean and cover it when not in use. Get a bunk style trailer. the scissor type will be hairy on those longer trips. Tandem axle with brakes will be needed of your thinking about 22 to 25 ft. I have no experience with toons on salt water, but I too would have reservations. BTW, welcome to iboats

lakegeorge

Senior Chief Petty Officer

22ft with a 90 4 stroke is a good choice and it will be good for everything you want to do. Make sure it has a changing room so you can put a porta-potti in it.
We have a Sweetwater and are very happy with it and it was trailered with a single axle trailer, no problems.
Buy a good used one and save yourself a lot of money, traderonline.com is a good place to start looking and if you find one with a trailer don't be afraid to look 100 miles away from home.

Thank you for your service to our country.

rentprop1

Petty Officer 1st Class

+1 for the changing room and port-a-pottie, especially with kids

another +1 for used boat, just check it out first, if I had waited a year longer to get mine, I could have had nicer boat, bigger engine and another year newer, economy is hurting a lot of people time to sell off the toys

mayorjones

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a 2008 21' Sun Tracker that I bought earlier this year. It came set up with the wrong engine for that boat, but that wasn't the boats fault. If you go with a 60 hp, the Mercury Bigfoot seems to be the preferred motor. If you go with a 90+, you should be good with whatever you choose.

Like those before me, I am VERY happy with the Sun Tracker boat. Not sure what you're thinking of spending, but I'd say you could be in a very nice boat with what you're looking at for $15-$20k. Take care of it and it should last you many, many years.

I'll echo the support of earlier posts and commend you on your service and commitment to our country. God bless you and all others out there and I pray you get home to your family safe and sound.

This is a great site with lots of great guys and gals that share stories, ideas and suggestions. Welcome aboard :)

pdonohue01

Cadet

Thank you very much for some of the timely replies as I am hungry for as much advice as I can get. I hope to get a lot more feedback from others before I make a purchase.
Patrick

boatmor

Seaman Apprentice

Minimum 75- much better 90. Do it right the first time other wise it will cost a lot more.
http://www.craigslist.org/about/sites
A 2 to 4 year old boat should save you a bunch over new. Stay completely away from salt water boats.
The four stroke motors have much higher maintenance cost over the 2 strokes' I am going with the 90 hp Evinrude E-TEC as you can get up to the minute technology with the same operating characteristics as the four strokes with much less maintenance cost. From what I read on the net the Yamahas have the highest maintenance cost but are super good tough motors.
If you buy a used rig REPLACE the wheel bearings.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Suntracker is a good boat but as stated they are entry level, which of coarse there is nothing wrong with.

Avoid Southbay, formerly Oddessy, the reason for the name change was there quality was so bad they had to change names to keep selling boats, they have gotten better recently but I personally wouldn't buy one.

Look below the furniture at how the boat is actually built, rails and deck screwed on or through bolted, how much weld is actually holding the brackets on ect, there is a big difference.

Bennington has been rated 1-2 by JD powers since they started rating pontoons and if you actually look top to bottom at how they are built they are simply a better boat and you won't find anyone that even comes close on warranty.

I work there so I am biased a little but we do build a very very good boat.

Yes we make toons that cost $65,000 but we also make them that cost $18000-$20000.

You can go into a Chevy dealer too and get a $10,000 Aveo or a $138,000 Corvette ZR1.

Look also at Sedona, it is our entry level boat, same quality just less expensive components but from the deck down it is still a Benny.

In the end find a dealer and a boat you like at a price you can afford and hit the water.

Have a safe tour and God bless.

mla2ofus

Chief Petty Officer

First this ol' vet wants to thank you for service to our country. You have no idea how much you and your fellow service persons are appreciated.
We bought a '98 24' Landau w/ 90 HP Force about a yr ago and we love it. The wife calls it the floating back yard!! We got a pop-up change room and porta potti and don't go on the water w/o them.
Good luck and come back safe and sound,
Mike

imported_John o

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Figure out what uses you are going to put the boat to. Fishing, cruising, tubing, skiing. etc. Will you want to camp on it? If so get one that can be fitted with an enclosure. Think of these sort of questions.

Buy the largest motor you can afford that you think you will need. (I've never heard anyone say they wish they had a smaller motor) It's usually much cheaper to get the motor you want now than it is to upgrade later. A larger motor will get you more efficient cruise and will have the speed you need should you ever need it.

If I remember correctly, Bennington, Premier and Manitou are the most maneuverable with Manitou being the best. Playcraft tends to be fastest (Again IIRC)

I have a Manitou with a 175 Yamaha. I can do donuts. Get about 37MPH GPS. (I figure I can up that by switching props). I've got enough to pull tubes or to pull mulitple skiers.

Get three tubes and the performance package. If you can't afford the performance package (Manitou's is the SHP, Premier I think is PTX and Bennigton I think is ESP.) still get the three tubes. The ride is so much better and it will help performance wise anyway.

A pontoon if properly maintained will last forever (all Aluminum construction except for the deck which is normally marine plywood) so plan on having the boat for a while. So get what you want the first time.

Depending on the size of the lakes where you will be a porti-potty can be a necessity or a useless waste of space. On my lake I'm at most ten minutes from a restroom so I got rid of mine. (also, if you use it, someone has to clean it!) That space could easily be used for another cooler or a grill or something.

There are also a few pontoon specific forums out there with tons of pontoon expertise. (Pontoon and deckboat magazine has one for starters). You'll usually learn more from the forum posters than from the dealers.

Big Bubba

Pdonuhue1,
I ma deployed myself at Al Udeid, Qatar and I am active duty Air Force but originally stationed at Scott AFB. Anyway, I own a used 1991, 20' Lowes Pontoon Boat with 1983, 70 horsepower Johnson outboard on her. Me and my wife absolutely love our pontoon boat and I even think the wife likes it more than I do but I love it as much as she does. Anyway, a pontoon boat is the way to go in my opinion. You have sooo much room for your family and friends but the down size is you don't have the speed as a spped/ski boat has becuase of the design of the tubes plowing threw the water. Yeap, go with a pontoon boat and like the others on here have said go with a good used one which will save you alot of money in our current economy. Take care and be safe over in Iraq. I will be here at Al Udeid until the beginning of next year. Take care, Bob:)

freelancer

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi,
I am new to iboats and have decided to purchase a pontoon for family fun next season...so I will probably end up making a purchase through iboats, boattrader, or ebay motors at some point.
pdonohue01, I can't help with all of the technical questions but have you considered looking on the resale lot on your local military base. I have seen many good cars, boats and all kinds of stuff at McGuire AFB and Fort Dix. You may want to pay it a visit, just to see if anything catches your eye. Good Luck and thanks for your service.

pdonohue01

Cadet

Pdonuhue1,
I ma deployed myself at Al Udeid, Qatar and I am active duty Air Force but originally stationed at Scott AFB. Anyway, I own a used 1991, 20' Lowes Pontoon Boat with 1983, 70 horsepower Johnson outboard on her. Me and my wife absolutely love our pontoon boat and I even think the wife likes it more than I do but I love it as much as she does. Anyway, a pontoon boat is the way to go in my opinion. You have sooo much room for your family and friends but the down size is you don't have the speed as a spped/ski boat has becuase of the design of the tubes plowing threw the water. Yeap, go with a pontoon boat and like the others on here have said go with a good used one which will save you alot of money in our current economy. Take care and be safe over in Iraq. I will be here at Al Udeid until the beginning of next year. Take care, Bob:)
Hey Bob,
Good to hear from someone over here at the same time. I made it down to Qatar for about 5 days during my last deployment in '05/'06. Not too shabby there and I am always impressed with a C-17 ride. I am completely sold on getting a pontoon for the family and it has be great getting all of the support and advice from everyone. We don't have many things on this side of base (no MWR, PX, Gym, AFN) but we do have internet and although it is slow it is fairly reliable and enables me to do what I am doing now - researching and shopping for my first boat. Just hearing how much you and your wife love your boat is inspiring.
Thanks and be safe,
Patrick

pdonohue01

Cadet

Being that my wife and I have recently decided to get a pontoon while I have been here, I have not had the opportunity to really check out some lots. I have driven past those lots before and even drove through one a couple of years ago at Ft. Rucker, AL while training down there and if I remember there may have been a few old pontoons sitting in there but I really was not in the market at the time. I also want to purchase soon so I will be ready for the 2010 boating season and have it shipped direct to the marina where I will keep it. I am told now is a good time to buy. Also, I don't have a lot of confidence going to some of the lots on the bases because I am pretty specific in what I want now and I just don't think I will find it. Searching online - I cover vast amounts of boats in seconds all over or at least in my target region with the specs I am looking for. I have pretty much narrowed it down to some of the top or near top rated brands, 22'-25', 90Hp min, double axle trailer included, 2004-2009 model, changing station, rear ladder, cruiser style.
Thanks,
Patrick

Big Bubba

Patrick,
Yeap, life is not too bad except for missing my family over here. Yeap, were I am at I am under USCENTCOM-J6 getting into the new CFH bldg and the dorms are brand new as well as well as I am walking distance to everything, BX, Gym, Dining facility so can't complain. For the pontoon boat I think you and your family will really enjoy it. I did have a 16 foot ski boat and my wife was really never happy with it becuase #1 too small and she didn't like going to fast and always seemed to find an excuse not to go out on it but as soon as I got the pontoon boat she is always ready and willing to go out on it. She likes to sunbath and the pontoon boat that I got has a sun bathing area along the back of the boat so she is always laying back there gettying her sun while I and the kids are swimming or I am under the bimini top soaking in the shade, LOL. But for my experience the family loves the pontoon boat alot more than the speed boat. My wife made me get rid of the spped boat as soon as we got the pontoon boat and that is what I did and have never looked back since. For me it was the right thing to do, Go Pontoon Boating all the way. Take care, and yeap I am looking forward to next year myself. Camping/boating here I come.:)

pdonohue01

Cadet

Ok, Thanks everyone for the advice and support - I really appreciate it. I have a couple more questions that have come up.
- Is the 175 verado mercruiser a good engine?
- Is a bank repo something to consider or should I leave them alone.
- what is considered a lot of hours or not a lot of hours on a boat engine? How often should they get an overhaul?
- Any thoughts on the quality of Avalons, or Harris?
Thanks,
Patrick

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I can only address two of your new questions.

I would certainly consider a bank repo if the boat had not been sitting too long, certainly less than a year, and if you were allowed to water test it.

IMHO 50 to 100 hours per year would be average engine hours. You don't want an engine that has set for over a year. I had rather have a five year old engine with 500 hours than a five year old engine with 50 hours. Hour meters are easily manipulated so if there is any doubt have a mechanic connect it to a computer.

I have heard of 3000 to 4000 hours on two-strokes. I think 2000 to 3000 hours is probably tops for a four-stroke. Few marine engines are rebuilt due to 'wearing out'. Most rebuilds are due to mechanical problems.

From an old VietNam vet, thanks for you service to our great country.

pdonohue01

Cadet

I can only address two of your new questions.

I would certainly consider a bank repo if the boat had not been sitting too long, certainly less than a year, and if you were allowed to water test it.

IMHO 50 to 100 hours per year would be average engine hours. You don't want an engine that has set for over a year. I had rather have a five year old engine with 500 hours than a five year old engine with 50 hours. Hour meters are easily manipulated so if there is any doubt have a mechanic connect it to a computer.

I have heard of 3000 to 4000 hours on two-strokes. I think 2000 to 3000 hours is probably tops for a four-stroke. Few marine engines are rebuilt due to 'wearing out'. Most rebuilds are due to mechanical problems.

From an old VietNam vet, thanks for you service to our great country.

Hey, from a "newer" vet to an "older" vet, thank you for your service. You guys never got the support and us guys appreciate what you did and what you have done supporting us. Thank you.
pdonohue01

Big Bubba

Yes, I agree with you Pdonuhue, that we appreciate the vets that have served with honors before us. Thank you.. How is your Pontoon Purchase going? Take care, Bob