Re-post of Boomyal's Brined Turkey Recipe!

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Hope you are all gearing up for a good Thanksgiving celebration with family and friends.

Here is a repost of my favorite turkey recipe for all of you who are interested. This recipe is tops whether you BBQ, smoke or oven roast your turkey. I have yet to try it with a deep fried turkey. I like to brine the bird for 3 or 4 days. Bon Appetite!

[colour=blue]BRINE: ULTIMATE BRINE FOR TURKEY[/colour]

1 1/2 cups, Kosher salt** **See notes below regarding amount of salt and types of salt 1 1/4 cups, brown sugar 10 whole cloves 3 teaspoons, black peppercorns 1 1/2 gallons (6 quarts) apple juice or cider (non-alcoholic) the peel from one orange or one tangerine (colored part only - not white pith) optional: 3 teaspoons, dried thyme and/or 3 teaspoons, dried sage
Combine all ingredients in a non-reactive pot, bring mixture to a boil, lower heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes (partly covered). Allow brine to cool completely. Rinse turkey under cool running water, inside and out (remove giblets from body cavity). Pat turkey dry with paper towels, then immerse turkey in cooled brine.* Turkey should be completely submerged in liquid (place a plate on top of the bird if necessary to keep it covered with the liquid). Cover the pot and refrigerate for 8-10 hours or up to 24 hours. Remove turkey, rinse, pat dry, and roast as usual. *Be sure the container used for brining turkey is non-reactive: use enamel, glass or crockery or stainless steel - never cast iron or aluminum. The pot should be just large enough to contain the turkey (so the brine will be sufficient to cover the bird). ** NOTE REGARDING THE AMOUNT OF SALT IN BRINE: A milder brine may be made, which may have a less flavorful result – but if salt is a concern (the entire turkey will absorb only 10-15% of the brine) the amount of salt may be reduced. For the desired chemical effect to take place, however, the proportions cannot be less than 2/3 to 1 cup of salt per gallon (4 quarts) of water or other liquid. **TYPES OF SALT: Kosher salt is the ONLY type of salt to be used in making brine (it is sweeter and more pure than ordinary table salt). Kosher salt is available in two varieties. The most common is flaked salt (example: Morton Kosher Salt) which has been pressed into flakes by rollers. The other type is a four-sided crystal (example: Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt). The crystal-shaped salt measures differently because of its shape. Use about 25% (one quarter) MORE crystal salt than flaked salt when measuring for brine or other recipes. The formula is: 1 tablespoon of regular table salt is equivalent to 1 ½ tablespoons flaked kosher salt, or 2 tablespoons, diamond crystal kosher salt.

JRJ

Commander
Re: Re-post of Boomyal's Brined Turkey Recipe!

Got to try that brine someday.8)

PS Boomyal, what is the name of the burger place you like in Redding?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

JRJ said:
Got to try that brine someday.8)

PS Boomyal, what is the name of the burger place you like in Redding?

You should try it sooner than latter. You'll never go back to a standard oven roasted turkey.

There is none other JRJ- IN and OUT Burger! This picture is currently on my desktop as a constant reminder.

DSCF0089.jpg

JRJ

Commander

Thanks8)

Link

Rear Admiral

NOTE: non-reactive pot
Can be found at Kmart big enough for a turkey for about $10.00
Grey/blue with white specks

Well worth the effort.
Going to mix up a batch tomorrow.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Link said:
NOTE: non-reactive pot
Can be found at Kmart big enough for a turkey for about $10.00
Grey/blue with white specks

Well worth the effort.
Going to mix up a batch tomorrow.

Got most of my stuff sitting on the counter. I have to go out and buy the Apple Juice and an Orange. I'll be brewing it up this afternoon.

Parrott_head

Chief Petty Officer

When I brine I use a large five gallon plastic pail like what you get at Home Depot or Lowes. I line it with a clean kitchen trash bag liner. This is nice since I can cinch the drawstrings up real tight and make sure the bird is totally submerged. Then I put it outside where the critters can't get to it. Sometimes in a shady north side area with maybe a few pounds of ice in it.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Parrott_head said:
When I brine I use a large five gallon plastic pail like what you get at Home Depot or Lowes. I line it with a clean kitchen trash bag liner. This is nice since I can cinch the drawstrings up real tight and make sure the bird is totally submerged. Then I put it outside where the critters can't get to it. Sometimes in a shady north side area with maybe a few pounds of ice in it.

Great idea PH, especially the plastic bag. That way you can be sure that the brine totallly covers the bird.

ps, my brew is now cooling down outside. I'll dump the 20 lb bird in it tomorrow. mmmmmmmmmmmm! I can hardly wait.

Parrott_head

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the compliment, Boomyal!

I smoke my turkeys. One thing I do after I rinse the bird and all that is stuff the cavity with chopped celery and sage. I then turn the bird brest side down and put two sticks of frozen, unsalted butter on top of the celery/sage mix. The butter melts and drains down throught the celery and sage. This causes the butter to be slowly released into the breast meat as it cooks. Bird comes out smoked and juicy.

Bon Apetit'

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

I did 2 "Boom Specials" last year, both cooked on the spit with charcoal and wood chips......best birds ever, rave reviews both times. Will be cooking up the brine tomorrow for this years Thanksgiving bird. I am going to deep fry this years. I hope it turns out as good as last years. And Boom, thanks for sharing makes me look like a genius.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Limited-Time said:
I did 2 "Boom Specials" last year, both cooked on the spit with charcoal and wood chips......best birds ever, rave reviews both times. Will be cooking up the brine tomorrow for this years Thanksgiving bird. I am going to deep fry this years. I hope it turns out as good as last years. And Boom, thanks for sharing makes me look like a genius.

LT, I'll be real interested to hear how the brine recipe does with a deep fried bird. That's one I have not tried yet. If you haven't deep fried yet, keep a close eye on the temp when it is getting close. The last one I did got away from me in the last few minutes and was overdone.

How big was the bird that you BBQ'd on the spit? In my experience, anything over 12 lbs is real hard to keep on the spit.

LadyFish

Admiral

I did Boomyal's Brine last year, and without a doubt it was the best turkey I've ever eaten. We're going to Mexico this Thanksgiving so no turkey dinner until a week later.But I'm still planning on doing the brine again.

LT, make sure that bird is dried out completely before you submerge it in oil. It'll still probably pop and spatter oil everywhere, Be careful.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

Boomyal said:
Limited-Time said:

LT, I'll be real interested to hear how the brine recipe does with a deep fried bird. That's one I have not tried yet. If you haven't deep fried yet, keep a close eye on the temp when it is getting close. The last one I did got away from me in the last few minutes and was overdone.

How big was the bird that you BBQ'd on the spit? In my experience, anything over 12 lbs is real hard to keep on the spit.

Both birds were in the 20 lb. range and both were stuffed. My cooker is a home made deal. Started life as a 55 gal. Stainless Steel drum. The spit rod is 3/4 inch dia. SS, the skewers are fashioned from 3/16 dia rod they are about 4 1/2 inches in length and have 4 prongs each. Those along with some SS wire insure the birds stay put while spinning. Also as the rod heats up it cooks the birds (or whatever) from the inside out as well.
As for this years Boom Special, deep fried variation I’ll report back on Friday. And LF no need to worry safety is always top priority here…………………………besides, I’ll have the wife keeping an eye on me.

vipzach

Lieutenant

I searched for about an hour last friday looking for your brine recipe Boomyal, then found it on my first search Saturday morning. I am cooking the turkey this year and I am kinda nervous about it. Do you need to brine a turkey if it isn't wild game? I bought two butterball turkey breast, they are in my garage fridg defrosting.

I am going to smoke both of them, they are between six and seven pounds each. Should I do anything else besides the brine? Any and all suggestions would be great.

rwise

Captain

I used the brine last year and will start mine when I get off work today! Smoked low and slow on turkey day, last year everyone said it was the best ever!

vipzach, the first time I would suggest you only do the brine, next time change it if you wish.

vipzach

Lieutenant

I used the brine last year and will start mine when I get off work today! Smoked low and slow on turkey day, last year everyone said it was the best ever!

vipzach, the first time I would suggest you only do the brine, next time change it if you wish.

Does the brine both marinade(flavor) the turkey and help it stay moist while cooking. I was under the impression that the turkey bought at the store were already brined and therefore not necessary to brine them???? I have been told buy people to spray butter or pam on the outside several times during smoking and also that I should use injectable marinades, but if the brine is going to help keep it moist and flavorful, then with the smoke too.............it should taste OK. I have only smoked other foods with hickory and mesquite, but this time, I bought some apple, maple and cherry to try smoking the turkey with.

rwise

Captain

you're making me hungry, I used nothing but the brine and it was one of the most juicy turkeys I have fixed! Many brands (like butter ball) are injected to keep them moist. In past years I used an injection marinade to keep in moisture and add flavor! Do one your old way and one with this brine and see which one gets eaten first! I use 5+ kinds of wood in my smoker, hickory, apple, cherry, oak, peach, pecan,etc any fruit or nut wood and I smoke it until its black! remove the skin and serve MMMmmmMMM, man I may have to BBQ tonight!

18rabbit

Captain

Boomyal said:
There is none other JRJ- IN and OUT Burger! This picture is currently on my desktop as a constant reminder.

DSCF0089.jpg

Why, Boom, is that your toe painted red in the photo?!? 8)

Gotta agree with yah, Boomyal, (with the burger, not your red toe nail polish) if I am gonna eat an assembly line burger it is an In n Out burger or I don’t eat an assembly line burger. And the In n Out fries are good, too.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

No 18, I have not gone to the other side. That is Missy Boomyals toe basking in the glorious June sun down in Oceanside:p

I have to keep a visual reminder because the nearest I&O is 500 miles to the south of me.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

rwise said:
Do one your old way and one with this brine and see which one gets eaten first!

And that's the absolute truth Rwise. We do that every year. Mrs Boomyal still insists on making a traditional roasted turkey. That is the only one we have any leftovers from.

Don't count on too many leftovers, from the brined turkey, to make your turkey salad sandwiches.