Stranded on the lake.

Jim13

Seaman
My new to me boat left me stranded on the lake the other day. It is a 97 Sprint F&S with a 115 Johnson.

Nothing would happen when you turned the key until I wiggled and pulled back on the throttle lever and then I had contact and the boat would start.

The other problem is because of this I can't start the boat in neutral giving it a little gas and let it warm up. You have to start it and then immediately take off or it will die.

The throttle lever is the type with the big button in the center that you push in to go to neutral.

What is causing this? If I knew the name of the faulty part could I replace it or just get a whole new throttle lever assembly?

ziggy

Admiral
Re: Stranded on the lake.

i don't know the answer to yer question, only guess's. neutral saftey switch adjustment. or post on the johnnyrude board as this seems to be a johnson outboard engine question, is there a method of keepin it in neutral and giving it throttle too? any outboard i've seen has this feature. i don't know how to set yers to that condition though. get a service manual, that'll give ya the facts. oem service manual if ya can get it, aftermarket is better than nothin at all. my boats so broke i always test it in the grass before i ever even think of going to the lake. at least i think it runs before i get there........good luck.......

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like your neutral start saftey switch needs to be adjusted. If your box is like Merc, there is a socket screw under the bottom of the handle. Removing that is supposed to allow you to remove the handle. Then prise off the ornamental cover revealing the mountiing bolts to the bulkhead. Removing them allows you to disassemble the unit and check for the problem.

Sounds easy; in practice I couldn't do any of the above.....I couldn't get my button to depress. So I sprayed about a can of grease in a spray can in every nook and cranny I could find and it finally limbered up.

My controller required me to pull the handle to the rear of the N detent then push the button and it would go in so that you could advance the handle with it out of gear.

Not good news, but best I can do.

Mark

Jim13

Seaman

Thanks for the replies so far!

There is "supposed" to be a method for putting it in neutral but it is not working. It is in gear wether the button is depressed or not.

I have looked around here and bass pro trying to find a controller like mine but they are all different. Anyone have any links for parts?

Firestar

Chief Petty Officer

It does sound like a matter of adjustments. If your control box is external it shouldn't be difficult to figure out.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Well the end of the button must be broken off. I don't know your situation, but on another boat I had problems with a controller like this and I liked the one with the fast idle lever that was at the rear of the control box that you just lift up when you want to fast idle. Cost me about $250 for the box and cables as I recall from the local Merc dealer. Much much better.

On this current boat, I have adequately loosened up the mechanism to the point that it's relative easy to engage now so no new control box is in the forseeable future......but if I have any more problems, I'm going to chunk it.

Mark

Jim13

Seaman

I tore it apart this morning and found a sticky mechanism and a loose wire. Thanks for the info.

Seems to do fine in the driveway. I will take it out on wednesday and test it.