TD has one driving him to drink

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
1988 50 Johnson, VRO eliminated. work on for a friend.

recent purchase, would not accelerate, would not idle long. so we did a carb cleaning, and kits, impeller, power pack was heating up and failing, new pack. it still will not take throttle, but will if you hit the primer, which leads to fuel pump, but at idle it acts like it is flooding out, cause the plugs are wet. sometimes when you hit the primer when starting it acts like it want to run away. in water and muffs.

i'm getting a rum and coke, and pondering over this one.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: TD has one driving him to drink

recent purchase, would not accelerate, would not idle long. so we did a carb cleaning, and kits, impeller, power pack was heating up and failing, new pack. it still will not take throttle, but will if you hit the primer, which leads to fuel pump, but at idle it acts like it is flooding out, cause the plugs are wet. sometimes when you hit the primer when starting it acts like it want to run away. in water and muffs.

Ill get one too just to keep the spirit....you dont want to drink alone...even if you got to solve that motor alone ha ha

bob

Benny1963

Lieutenant

tash i had similiar prob on my 150 after i built it ,
had old piece of carb gasket in reed ,is it popping

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

TD, if it makes you feel any better, I'm having a wiring problem in my Chevy van that is driving me nuts. I have tested the circuits with a multimeter over and over, but what the lights on my trailer are actually doing , isn't as indicated by what the meter is saying is going on electrically.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH!

I think I might have to take my Chevy to the levee for an entirely different reason!

(I know this is sort of a thread hijack, but hey - sometimes there is value in a little commiserating!)

marquette

Petty Officer 1st Class

why would you want to fix a motor that is driving you to drink? put a neon Bacardi hat on it and keep it around. then if any one is asking why you are having a drink at 10AM just tell them the "motor made me do it"

rabeck5792

Petty Officer 3rd Class

have you checked the voltage from the charge coil & the sensor coil?i know you know what you are doing,but,i have seen a problem with the little gasket between the bowl & the body.that'll make it run stupid.hope i can help,rick from texas.

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander

I'd love a motor that was driving me to drink.

I usually have to drive myself....................

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Hey TD, had a 40 same year on a rental toon doing the same thing.
Long story,lots of beer,phone calls and 2 old omc rep's, we figured it out, problem acted like VRO was weak but ended up being skirts worn on pistons causing engine crankcase pressure to be low, static compression was great.

Thanks go to Dan Anderson and Roger Blevins for insight!!!

Lone Duck

Master Chief Petty Officer

If it is over fueling at idle, could it be that it is over fueling even more when throttling up ? Have 2 drinks and then recheck the vro bypass. Duhhh! I'm just guessing here.

EN2

Chief Petty Officer

Check pulse hose, from vro to crankcase, runs very close to starter. May be worn part way through.

Willyclay

Captain

TD, say it ain't so. You da man; if you can't do it, nobody can! I vote for a fuel pump leaking into the crankcase. Good luck!

tashasdaddy

VRO has been removed guys. i'm kinda with Willyclay, but a thought happened last night, what if the VRO pulse was not blocked off. i have not check that. the hose is not there, but i did not check the block.

think i will pull a fuel pump off one of my motors, and try it.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Does it still have the VRO pump on it with the oil side by passed / blocked ???

tashasdaddy

no it has the standard block mounted fuel pump. and yes it is the correct one.

JB

Test the fuel pump, TD. Sounds like it isn't pumping enough fuel.

Could be failure to get strong enough pulses from the crankcase, air leak, etc.

tashasdaddy

just checked to make sure the old vro pulse line is capped. i putting another pump on it to test.

tashasdaddy

put none good pump on it. it idles then runs then dies, when it starts to die, will not take throttle to keep it runnig, but will take primer. to me this says carbs, but i have been thru the 3 times.

HybridMX6

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Perhaps since you have so many spare motors/parts around, if you have another set of carbs try them out and see. Just a suggestion.

tashasdaddy

just found a set, getting them ready.