TD has one driving him to drink

HybridMX6

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: TD has one driving him to drink

Worst case you can rule them out if it doesn't work, LoL, or if it does then you know something is up with the ones on the motor.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Check to see if somebody has changed the jets in the carbs? Y'know, some people think you can get more power that way. Not.

cdoliver

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm sure you have tried pumping the bulb to make sure the bowls are full of fuel when it dies? You said it idles and runs for a bit, maybe running out of gas in the bowls?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Ok, here are the latest results, good working fuel pump, all new lines not leaks. installed another set of carbs, that i know are good.

it is spitting out the throat, i'm thinking reeds or as Faztbullet said skirts, but i did the old finger test over the pulse hole, and turned the flywheel by hand and got good pulses.

the compression on my guage was 150 and 148, so it has great compression. new plugs gapped .030.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

Did you try a vacuum gauge for fuel pressure and crankcase sealing?

tashasdaddy

every dang thing is good, reeds are closing, not stuck. i'm at a loss.

bullbat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

are you sure that ur not sucking air around the fuel lines somewhere, had a 25 johnyrude that done that and bout drove us stupid, and it did drive us to drinkin and throwin stuff b4 we found it

tashasdaddy

yes, new lines pressure tested.

reeldutch

Lieutenant

if everything is good i would suspect a crankcase leak.

could be external (mating surface leaking)
could be internal.
between the 2 crancases.

hard to say

but as you stated you have good compresion ,fuel and spark.

the only thing you dont know for sure is crankcase compresion.

but i would defenatly double check everything else out before making this conclusion.

spraying some carbcleaner around the case half with the engine running, might help you find a leak.

Lone Duck

Master Chief Petty Officer

if everything is good i would suspect a crankcase leak.

could be external (mating surface leaking)
could be internal.
between the 2 crancases.

hard to say

but as you stated you have good compresion ,fuel and spark.

the only thing you dont know for sure is crankcase compresion.

but i would defenatly double check everything else out before making this conclusion.

spraying some carbcleaner around the case half with the engine running, might help you find a leak.
Crank seal? When it does start, does it idle to fast? Causing a lean condition?

tashasdaddy

it idles too fast if you prime it first, then just switch it off, restart it idles normally then dies, it will not respond to fuel when it starts to die.

rabeck5792

Petty Officer 3rd Class

had a mercury 50 hp do some what the same thing,found exhaust plugged.

clanton

Rear Admiral

Check the prop shaft bearing housing, if the housing is installed upside down it will block the exhaust on some of these engines. These engines had a very high failure rate of the drive shaft and gearcase, so it probley has gear case work.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

Check the prop shaft bearing housing, if the housing is installed upside down it will block the exhaust on some of these engines. These engines had a very high failure rate of the drive shaft and gearcase, so it probley has gear case work.

aint that the truth , I have a 2001 and I have put four onto my 50 johnson....first one was under warranty....the next two were repairs to the lower unit...the last was a whole new case!!!( tip...dont cruise through 1" of ice thinking , because you are going so fast all is well!! ha ha)

bob

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If the plugs get wet, a leaky (internal) primer solenoid can be the culprit. Likelwise, a piece of debris in that system can also cause issues. Disconnect the small primer solenoid line at the carb, one at a time and squeeze the primer bulb. If the lever is set properly there should be no flow or dribble out these lines. If there is you discovered the over rich condition. When the engine runs it simply sucks fuel through the solenoid and into the carbs. Now turn the key to RUN and push the key in. This should squirt fuel. If not, you have a plugged primer solenoid but that condition would create a cold start issue and has no bearing on your problem. That's my shot in the dark.

Lone Duck

OK! I reread all the posts. This is what we have. VRO bypass (good) Fuelpump (good) primer (good) Carbs (good) Reeds (good) Lines and fittings (good) Silvertips check (good) SOOOO! Something is erratic in the timing. Hot coil? Loose linkage? Magnets not tight? Wire sometimes rubs on flywheel? Advance system loose. I ain't going to sleep tonight. Time for a drink.

Lone Duck

Kill switch? Ignition switch? Kill switch wire? disconnect ignition switch and ignition wire & killswitch wire at the motor. connect your own kill wire jump to selinoid and fire it up. Oh sh-t I've had to much to drink.

JB

Test the fuel pump, TD. Sounds like it isn't pumping enough fuel.

Could be failure to get strong enough pulses from the crankcase, air leak, etc.

Don't replace it, TD. TEST it. There are several things that can cause the fuel pump to not pump enough fuel that are not part of the pump. You still don't know if the pump is working right, and if not why not.

Possible causes are leaky reeds, leaky bypass cover gasket, leaky reed manifold gasket, blown crank seal (all above in the cylinder that "pumps" the fuel pump), air leak in fuel supply lines, restricted fuel supply.

Whatever is wrong is common to both cylinders, both carbs. Not very likely that the same thing goes wrong with both carbs at once, now is it?

Replacing/overhauling parts is the most used, most expensive and least effective troubleshooting method known to man.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

Kill switch? Ignition switch? Kill switch wire? disconnect ignition switch and ignition wire & killswitch wire at the motor. connect your own kill wire jump to selinoid and fire it up. Oh sh-t I've had to much to drink.

27 minutes!!!!!!!!!!! and youve had toooo much to drink already???

what are you 110lbs?

you drinking liquid sterno???

but thats none of my business...rigth? ha ha ha

my mechanic would have solved that 50 hps problem two days ago

"its junk, buy a new one"

ha ha

bob