What is this thing .

djdej

Recruit
Hello All

I am new to this forum . I have recently re-discovered outboard motors as a hobby . I purchased a very nice 1940 Evinrude Elto Ace . There is something attached at the prop nut . I don't have much experience with outboards and I have never seen one of these before . Could someone please tell me what this is and what it is used for . ..... djdej

elto16wp3.jpg

UnregisteredUser

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: What is this thing .

At first glance I thought maybe some sort of weed chopper...:confused:

It looks as though not all of it is there, like something snaps on to the indented area near the end...:confused:

Still confused :confused::confused:

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

Being that this is an old motor I'm thinking that it was possibly used as a part of a stand attachment or maybe even for a guard mounting bracket. I don't think that it was anything used while the motor was running in gear, I could be completely wrong though. The way it is shaped it looks to be some sort of clip, for something to slide on and clip in place, as unregistered said.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

it actually looks like one of those clips to hand brooms, mops, yard tools. the may have used it for a washer.

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

it actually looks like one of those clips to hand brooms, mops, yard tools. the may have used it for a washer.

Now why didn't I think of that? You may be right TD, I would pat ya on the back for that one if ya was standing here with me :), just take a cyber pat on the back :D.

ThumbPkr

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am pretty sure it is the retaining bracket for a trolling plate.
I remember seeing such things when I was a young'un and that is what comes to mind.Ron G

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

I am pretty sure it is the retaining bracket for a trolling plate.
I remember seeing such things when I was a young'un and that is what comes to mind.Ron G
Did the trolling plate spin with the prop?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I would agree, it is for a trolling plate. Hard to imagine needing one for such a small motor though. Probably had to run it a a higher rpm to keep the centrifugal water pump working. Then the trolling plate to slow the boat back down.

djdej

Recruit

Great responses people . It could very well be a trolling plate attachment . With a simple metal disk snapped on , it would definitely impair the thrust to achieve trolling speed . My second thought is that it could be a part of a storage system and that it would snap in place to hold the motor firmly in place during storage or transport . I have seen examples of elaborate storage boxes made for this type of motor . ....... djdej

minitrollingplatepm9.jpg

eltocasebx0.jpg

ThumbPkr

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would agree, it is for a trolling plate. Hard to imagine needing one for such a small motor though. Probably had to run it a a higher rpm to keep the centrifugal water pump working. Then the trolling plate to slow the boat back down.

Back in those days the oils were not as friendly as they are today,spark plugs were fouling with the ignition systems of the day and I think that the rich mixtures that were being used because of the inferior oils were just loading up the combustion chambers and snuffing out the fire at low,trolling rpms.
By keeping the rpms higher they could get a cleaner burning,more reliable engine which was made possible with the trolling plate,much easier than changing the prop.Ron G