How to splice wires together?

russmo

Recruit
Aloha all,<br /><br />I recently acquired a little boat from my uncle who hasn't used it in several years. It has a 9.8hp model 110 Mercury outboard (s/n: 5122558, 1978?). The first thing I noticed when I pulled off the cover was that two wires had corroded completely away right where they entered the switch box. So I ordered CDI 114-6222 to replace the switch. I found that a previous post answered my questions about wiring the two brown wires that had corroded.<br /> http://forums.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=29;t=020265#000000 <br /><br />So now all I have to do is connect the brown and white leads from the box to the brown trigger wires. I've never done any work on an outboard before, so I don't know what methods are acceptable considering heat and marine corrosion. <br /><br />Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, any helpful advice would be useful on other things that are important to check before I fire this thing up and see if it still works well (or light myself on fire). This is basically my means of learning more about how outboards work, and hopefully I'll get a working boat out of the deal.<br /><br />Mahalo,<br />Russ

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: How to splice wires together?

Solder them, followed by heat shrink to seal it up...

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Be sure and slide the shrink over the wire B4 soldering. Radio shack should have everything you need. Either the soldering iron held close to but not touching the shrink, or your wife's hair dryer will shrink the shrink. Hair dryer is much better if it's hot enough.<br /><br />Mark

russmo

Recruit

Okay, I'll go to radioshack and see if I can pick up a wife. I already have a hair dryer around the house.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Wish you luck. Get one that cook.....fish. Grin<br /><br />Mark

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

myself I have found the heat shrink crimps to be superior to trying to solder that old wire. it usually does not work well.<br />if you attempt to solder it you will need at least a 150 watt gun and plenty of flux paste and a rosin core solder.<br /> when you try to tin the wire ends you will see what I mean.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

a note on crimping.<br /> the dime store stamped steel crimpers are worthless. better to invest in a decent set from snap on or matco or one of several other manufactures, they are 30-40 dollars but will give a crimp that is almost impossible to pull apart. the heat shrink connectors serve two functions, one is it makes the connection more water resistant and two is the shrink part now shifts the mechanical load to the wire insulation rather than the crimped portion of the wire/barrel.<br /> the first pair of snap-on crimpers I bought lasted 9 years, once they got so loose they no longer crimped well the next two sets have been free. the stamped steel ones cost 7 dollars or so and last me 2 months max.

I/O WALDO

Petty Officer 1st Class

When repairing a corroded wire,try to cut back the old,still being used wire till no more brown/green is on the nice shiny copper.If knott it WILL cause future headaches! If the wires in question are both shiny, solder-seal and secure will make it forever.