2 stroke or 4 stroke????

mbean

Cadet
I'm about to show how dumb I am when it comes to knowing things about outboard motors.HOW do I know if my motor is a 2 or 4 stroke motor? I have a 1995 200hp mariner magnum EFI...

Perfidiajoe

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 2 stroke or 4 stroke????

Not trying to knock you or belittle you, but do you know about using two cycle oil in that engine. If you are not sure, ask or read the book, because you could turn that 200 HP into a 400 lbs. anchor. No one is born knowing ask! ! Have fun, good Luck, Joe

mbean

Cadet

I was almost poistive it was a 2 stroke,OK ,but you still havent told me how you know its a 2 stroke motor.can you tell by looking at it and how? and yes i'm using the right.oil Its the oil the seller gave me. thanks

mbean

Cadet

ok dont laugh. i think it just hit me does 2 stroke and 2 cycle mean the same thang?

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

For one thing, if it was four cycle, you would not mix oil with the fuel(Either by hand or injection). It would be in a sump like a car. And yes, 2-stroke. 2-cycle, same thing. Kinda like motorcycles...<br /><br />BTW- Where do you fish down in Texas??

MercFan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yep, to give a little trivial information...<br /><br />A 2 stroke/2 cycle engine combusts fuel every (1)revolution. But a stroke is half a rotation. If the piston moves from the top to the bottom, that's 1 stroke. Kinda like sex ;P So a 2-stroke, has a power stroke every second stroke.<br /><br />A 4 stroke on the other hand only makes power every second revolution, or every 4th stroke.<br /><br />I love this website!!!!<br />www.howstuffworks.com<br /><br />Here's the 2 stroke engine<br /> http://science.howstuffworks.com/two-stroke2.htm <br /><br />Here's the 4 stroke engine<br /> http://auto.howstuffworks.com/engine4.htm

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If a person doesn't know the difference between 2- and 4-stroke engines by sight, they sure don't know by technology description. So -- if the instruction manual or labels on the motor indicate you must mix oil with fuel, or if there is a separate oil tank in the boat, or if the engine has a separate oil tank mounted on the motor, you have a 2-stroke. If the engine has a dip-stick to check the oil level that resides inside the engine you have a 4-stroke. Of course, many people with a 4-stroke don't know what a dip stick is either which accounts for the holes that frequently appear in the engine block. Yes - I'm being cynical but honest.

mbean

Cadet

WOW .you got to love it. Where else could a guy go to fill such love. ha ha ha. belive it or not I know a lot more about fishing than outboard motors. I feel like I am not the only fisherman like that.Now that we have put that to rest. Back to more what I really like to do talk fishing. I fish Sam Rayburn lake most of the time, but being retired at 50,I get to go to a lot of places. Like Toledo Bend,lake Fork,lake Livingston,Cado lakeLake Whitney. Going to Mexico summer can't wait....

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

TX -- don't beat yourself up over not knowing the difference between a two- and four-stroke motor. That's sort of like driving a car. You don't have to know how it works to drive it. The only thing with the outboard is whether or not you need to mix oil with fuel, keep a resevoir full or in the case of a four-stroke, check the oil in the crankcase before use. Failure to know the basic requirements for your engine however can be a very costly learning experience. As for fishing, you are fortunate to be able to do it on lakes that are "liquid" at the moment. Up here in the tundra we need to drill a hole first. 15 below zero here this morning.

Bassman, here within the month Lake Fork will be the ticket. Upper half of the lake above the 515 bridge. That's where I'll be. By the way, just for extra insurance, I agree with the other posts, your engine is a 2-stroke