Are more pet food recalls forthcoming?

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander
Since this beef recall is based upon the mistreatment of downer cows that are normally processed into dog and cat food, does anyone know, or has anyone heard if they plan to recall any pet food as well?

mscher

Lieutenant
Re: Are more pet food recalls forthcoming?

Since this beef recall is based upon the mistreatment of downer cows that are normally processed into dog and cat food, does anyone know, or has anyone heard if they plan to recall any pet food as well?

Common sense would say no, so that means that they will probably have a pet-food recall ;)

This story smells less like old cow poo and more like political correctness, public paranoia and media spin.

I used to haul cattle and although the "news" clips are pretty harsh, you cannot call 911 for every "downed" cow. Somethimes you have to get rough.

Since "mad cow" disease is mostly another media-spun myth "http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/21/washington/21cow.html" most people will not realize that these cows maybe perfectly healthy, simply slipped in a crowded truck or pen, laid there and were not able to get back up.

Probably happens everyday at every slaughterhouse on the planet.

Seem pretty harsh, but hey, we're going to eat them tomorrow!

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander

Yeah I agree Mscher... they even said outright that this beef recall isn't a safety recall, it's a punitive recall. So I figured they might do a pet food recall too. But I guess not.

I saw the vids too, and the only thing I thought was a bit harsh was the forklift to the ribs... trying to get an uncooperative animal to cooperate with the broomsticks though... I don't see the problem there. But like you said, they are about to be killed and become dinner anyway.

I'm sure some, if not alot of those cows are perfectly healthy and just uncooperative. I raise chickens as a hobby, and sometimes I have to cull some. I learned though, never to cash in a CD (little chicken farmer's joke there) in front of the others, because the others will become uncooperative.

SgtMaj

mscher

Lieutenant

I raise chickens as a hobby, and sometimes I have to cull some. I learned though, never to cash in a CD (little chicken farmer's joke there) in front of the others, because the others will become uncooperative.

SgtMaj

Just tell the other hens, that you are taking the lucky one "out to dinner" ;)

Unfortunately, they are coming after chicken owners (I raise hens too), with mad cow's cousin, "bird flu". Is it really a potential problem, or just another way for some to gain, at the expense of other's.

They want to "pick" on small poultry producers, saying that they cannot practice proper "biosecurity", as well as the big boys.

The fun never ends.

Problem is you cant recall something that has already been eatin. Our local school system got alot of it and its already been served (no complaints yet as it making anyone sick) .I smell a rat. I know for a fact there are alot of crooks in our local school system.

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander

Just tell the other hens, that you are taking the lucky one "out to dinner" ;)

Unfortunately, they are coming after chicken owners (I raise hens too), with mad cow's cousin, "bird flu". Is it really a potential problem, or just another way for some to gain, at the expense of other's.

They want to "pick" on small poultry producers, saying that they cannot practice proper "biosecurity", as well as the big boys.

The fun never ends.

Yup, been there. The state called wanting to test my birds for the flu... voluntarily of course. Got my name from the hatchery I ordered from. I didn't bother returning their calls, and after a couple weeks they stopped calling.

Quite frankly though, the H1b virus, has been one of the most stable viruses. I don't mean to get political here, but the whole exxagerated panic over the bird flu, just to be let down immediately after Tami-flu was found to be useless, smells oddly suspicious of someone in power using their position to artificially inflate the stock price of a company in which they own more than half the stock of... (in order to stay as non-political as possible here, you'll have to google that for yourself).

Problem is you cant recall something that has already been eatin. Our local school system got alot of it and its already been served (no complaints yet as it making anyone sick) .I smell a rat. I know for a fact there are alot of crooks in our local school system.

Yeah, you should smell a rat. They have already said there is absolutely no safety concern over this recall, it's strictly a punitive recall... thing is, they could just fine them... so why make them recall good beef? Maybe because it will drive up the price of beef which has fallen significantly this year because many farmers in drought-stricken areas of the country had to get rid of their stock which flooded the market. Things that make you go hmm...

Hope that wasn't too political... if it was, mods please feel free to edit as you see fit.

SgtMaj