87 225 won't go over 3000 RPM

ob

Admiral
Re: 87 225 won't go over 3000 RPM

Now if the timer base is getting full unobstructed travel ,you can look elsewhere for your low rpm problem.Possibly fuel restriction or high speed ignition issue. Have you tried intermittedly pushing the fuel primer button on the ignition switch when engine won't go past 3000 rpm?If doing this causes the engine to pickup it is indicative of a fuel starvation issue.Does the primer bulb remain firm throughout the running .If pumping the primer bulb while running results in the engine to pickup,you may have a fuel pump issue .Need to eliminate one possibility at a time .The easiest and most common first.

voodooman

Cadet

Hey fellas, let me ask a stupid question. Going to the coil - Orange and blue on top, orange in middle, orange and green on bottom on the V6 right? I had an orange and blue in the middle and an orange on the top. Any chance this could cause the trouble?

ob

Admiral

If your coil signal wires are crossed ,it will most definately cause a problem.Perhaps Dhadley or someone else that knows the specifics on wiring color will pipe in and confirm your findings.

voodooman

Cadet

I've got it all put back together now so hopefully it'll work. Seas are supposed to be 2 to 4 in the AM so I'm gonna grab the rods and try to make it out of the inlet. Thanks for the help.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Sure it'll mess it up. Cylinders firing at the wrong time. Put the blue on top and the plain orange to the middle.

voodooman

Cadet

I'll let you guys know if this fixes the problem so next time somebody makes a simple mistake like I did they won't have to ask questions for a week to get it fixed. Thanks again.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

That will do it. You'll have two cylinders fighting each other. Sometimes to the point of damaging a piston. Thats why we asked about the coil primary wires in the beginning.<br /><br />It should even sound different now.

voodooman

Cadet

I figured since the wires on each side of the pack were different lengths, the shortest one went to the top coil. Stupid me. After checking the color codes in the manual, the orange and blue was in the middle and the orange was on top. Switched the two and it's running like a champ. Thanks again for the help guys.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Dont feel bad about the wire length deal. That happens all the time. Its very deceiving.<br /><br />Good luck!