Why it's a good idea to check the impeller on a new boat...

Nightfisher-

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well, not a new boat, but new to me anyways....
dscn0402c.jpg

Took me forever and a lot of pounding and wedging to get the lower to drop. That was my first indication that it had been a while since the last impeller change. Stuck the new one in the photo for comparison. I don't know how, but the old one was still pumping fairly well. Had a pretty good spray from the old '76 115 before the change. I'll have to see how she does now in the next couple of days.

EN2

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Why it's a good idea to check the impeller on a new boat...

DId you find the broken pieces?

restornator

Petty Officer 1st Class

you sure you didn't F up the shift linkage? Cause it sounds like you did

Nightfisher-

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes- Got all the pieces i could find. There were three large pieces in the housing that looked pretty worn- rounded and smooth- Had some smaller pieces fall from the tubes as i pulled the lower out.

No- the shift linkage was unhooked in order to remove the lower unit as the manual states it should be. The guy I bought the boat from told me he had had the boat for 5 years and never replaced the impeller. Who knows when it was done before that. The boat has seen a lot of saltwater, which makes for a lot of corrosion and rust, which is what the problem was. Rust on the splines had it stuck pretty good.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Good job. It sounds like you know what you're doing. Keep us posted on what happens after you get 'er back together.:D

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

put grease on the splines, but not the top of the shaft.

Nightfisher-

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Already put back together. The shift linkage was a ***** to get hooked back up. lol. why no grease on top of the shaft? I think I probably got some on there.

ksubigbuck

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you put grease on top of the shaft it won't go all the way into the the crank...and will cause binding in the lower unit.

Hunter

Nightfisher-

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hmmm. Pretty sure i did not have any more than a smear across the top. No gobs or anything. Eh. It went back together, goes into forward and reverse, and pumps water so all seems well. Plan on running it on the river Monday or Tuesday and doing some fishing. I never trust the hose and muffs. Need to get me a blue barrel and cut it down to make a test tank. We get them every once and a while at work, but lately they have been few and far between.

bthompson

Seaman Apprentice

If you put grease on top of the shaft it won't go all the way into the the crank...and will cause binding in the lower unit.

Hunter

Thanks. Now, I know WHY I won't do it.

njmedic3306

Seaman

Still a few good pieces there. Should really save that as a backup. ; )

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Prime example of the unknown that could cost you the entire motor.
Nice post.

Nightfisher-

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yea, the motor is a 1977- the guy I bought the boat from stated he had not changed the impeller in the 5 years he had had the boat. I pretty much knew right there the impeller was shot. The moment I had trouble getting the lower to come out I knew it had been a while. The previous owner had used the boat almost entirely in salt water as well so that didn't help much as corrosion and rust made the job more difficult. All is well now tough.

cougar1985

Lieutenant Junior Grade

i sometimes wonder if salt water can play havoc with impellers and shorten their life?i bought a new impeller for my 90 evinrude that hadnt been used for at least 10 years and i used it for 4 and the original the was in there is still in perfect condition!just was going to do and why,the one thats in there is perfect!should of took a picture of it ,it was just as good looking as the new one i bought and thats for 17 years .thinking of selling the old girl so i will put in the new one this year so the new owner can be confident and happy.maybe sitting for so long at the local fire hall helped alot.i also just put a new one in a 1963 75 hp erude and it also was perfect(old one),i even yanked on it with pliers and it was a tuff baby .that motor also sat for 14 years.

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

Well,I certainly dont want to be argumentative,BUT,Mr.Cougar,you lucky.I cant begin to tell you how many impellars like the original poster showed,I replaced after someone was towed in,or overheated their engine to near destruction.Sure you should shut em down when the alarm goes off.but ,people in a panic situation ,such as being stuck in the gulfstream dont do that .they ,pray and run.Which is why I HIGHLY suggest you change it often.I prefer yearly,along with gear oil and lube.As for the original poster having trouble ,it was likely his driveshaft ,stuck in the crank.its alot easire ,and cheaper to drop the gearcase ,and lube the splines ,then to need to gut into the midsection,cut the driveshaft,pull the powerhead and hopefully pull the driveshaft stub out of the crankshaft without further damage to the powerhead.Been there done that (as a mechanic ,repairing the damage a frugal ,OR CHEAP,boater caused lacking the maint.)Yep,classice ,vanes ,broken off impeller ,into head ,or thermo,overheat,then tow,yada ,yada,yada.Do yourself the favor fellow boaters,maintain your engines,the life you save might be your kids.Peace

Nightfisher-

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Now you got me needing to pull the thermostat and check it out. It was on my To Do list, but it just moved to the top since i did find pieces in the pump housing and tubes, but not enough to account for what was missing. The big pieces i did find were worn and rounded like they had been rattling around in the pump along with the impeller for quite a while. Where and how should I go about checking further for pieces?