Compression results

jdtower23

Petty Officer 1st Class
Tested the compression on my 4.3....this is a cold test.....

#1 115, #3, 149, #5 130, #2 159, #4 150, #6 145

The 115 is low, but is it too low ?

mikeneal

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Compression results

Yes, that is too low. They typically want 10% correlation between cylinders. You can squirt some oil in each cylinder and re-test. If numbers go up then it is rings, if they stay same it is usually valves. Not always a exact test but a poor mans leak down test.

thrasher

Chief Petty Officer

As Mike says, 115 is low, but the engine should run okay. Sometimes if you put seafoam or other carbon removing products in the engine/gas, the compression will come back up.. It could just be carbon holding the valves slightly open.. Are you intending to open the engine? Unless you have a problem, I would suggest trying a product to remove the carbon and retest the compression. It could save you a lot of work.

Gary

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Compression on a 4.3 should be 180psi. He's got two cyls that are pretty low, #1 and #5.

mkpj1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Plus it knocks and the pressure is high...and the heads arent getting oil. Pull it and rebuild it before it blows up.

thrasher

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks MKPJ1,

Sounds like a complete rebuild is in order, pull the engine and I would strongly recomend you get an engine stand, it makes dismantling and rebuilding an engine so much easier!!

Gary