2000 Johnson System check warning lights?

bdmurphy75

Cadet
I have a 2000 Lund Pro Sport with the Johnson VRO system. There is a 4 light system check, according to a local dealer, part# 177047. I am getting the low oil and no oil warning lights, along with the warning horn that will sound after 30 seconds to a minute after running and will sound for around 15 seconds (seems like an hour with other boats around) I have disconnected the VRO system entirely and mixed gas, rebuilt the VRO fuel pump, and have disconnected the Power lead to the system check-tach. The lights will not turn off, not sure about the horn as I disconnected that. I have searched the forum here but have not found a post describing my exact situation, I am sure it is here but I have not found it. Any help directing me to a topic or offer of a solution would be greatly appreciated. I would like to utilize the VRO system.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2000 Johnson System check warning lights?

You would seem to have a wiring problem. You might check out all the wires of the system check (Purple, Grey, Tan, Tan/orange, Tan/blue and any others) to see that they are not shorted to the engine case or each other via melting. Ohm them out to their origins. Purple is +12VDC engine accssory and Grey is tach sender. The Tan wires are the individual sensors on the oil tank level, the OMS Pump, The overheat sensor on each head and the vacuum sensor on the fuel line.

bdmurphy75

Cadet

Which might make sense as these lights seemed to have slowly flickered on and eventually stayed on, I think a melted wire is what I might be looking for... Make that, the low oil light has always been on since I purchased the boat.

clanton

Rear Admiral

If the wires are OK, the tach is bad. The logic for the lights and horn is inside the tach.

bdmurphy75

Cadet

Well, I took a quick route to see if I can get and feedback here, The meter read #1, the meter was flashing like it was getting pulses, didnt understand this... #2 started at 10.5 and immediately dropped to between -.5 and -1.5... #3 10.45 solid..... The rest of the plugs read nothing. Refer to the photo if you are familiar with the plug for this system check. I have unplugged the 8 wire plug to the system check, I would think the lights would go out, they didnt, unplugged the purple power lead, still on, is my boat possessed???? Will I name it Cary or Carl, whats fitting for my possessed boat???? :rolleyes:

Attachments

• plug.jpg
    plug.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 2

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

The only connection the tach should have is the 8 pin plug. Disconnect any other wires.

bdmurphy75

Cadet

This is what my tach looks like, not the same color but the same lights. On the back, there is a blue and black(both grounds???) wire that pigtails to the other gauges, the purple power lead and then there is the 8 wire plug. You are telling me to disconnect all other wires from the tach except the 8 wire plug? What am I hoping to find by doing so?

Attachments

• systems check.jpg
    systems check.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 1

clanton

Rear Admiral

Does the tach have a part number on it, or the box it came in? Does not look like OEM tach.

Black is ground for the light inside the tach, blue is power for the light. Donot understand the purple lead. The OEM Tach is powered by purple lead in harness.

Disconnect all wires except the connector with the 8 wires. What Happens?
Disconnect all wires and connector. what happens?

What kind of harness from engine to control. Like how many wires in main harness?

I have the OEM manual and wiring diagrams.

I will be here until you give up or run out of money. hehehehe.

bdmurphy75

Cadet

Does the tach have a part number on it, or the box it came in? Does not look like OEM tach.

Black is ground for the light inside the tach, blue is power for the light. Donot understand the purple lead. The OEM Tach is powered by purple lead in harness.

Disconnect all wires except the connector with the 8 wires. What Happens?
Disconnect all wires and connector. what happens?

What kind of harness from engine to control. Like how many wires in main harness?

I have the OEM manual and wiring diagrams.

I will be here until you give up or run out of money. hehehehe.

I looked for a part number but found nothing, as far as I am aware, that was the original tach in the boat when it was purchased, it looks like the above pictured but is beige in the middle, maybe silverish. I will take a picture so you can see exactly what I have.

Okay, the tach is powered by the purple lead IN THE HARNESS, this is separate from the harness, hooked up to a bolt on the back of the tach.

I will post again when I do what you suggested disconnecting the wires and get a picture of the tach/system check gauge. Thank you again!

clanton

Rear Admiral

Here are the wiring diagrams.

clanton

Rear Admiral

You can print and put the 2 pages together. The diagram shows 2 tachs. 1 system check tach, and 1 non system check tach.

bdmurphy75

Cadet

I disconnected all wires, blue, black and purple but left the sensor harness plug connected, the two warning lights stayed on.

I unplugged the harness plug, hooked up the ground and the blue wire, nothing (other than running lights like you said), unhooked the blue wire and hooked the purple(is this purple wire a secondary power for the tach???) wire back up, the two warning lights came back on, remember, the sensor harness is now disconnected. Did not get time to look at how many wires from motor to remote, I will probably get a chance on Sunday.

mikomos

Cadet

i am having the exact same problem eith my no oil light on even without the engine running only the key on, looks nto me like the guage is actually bad.

clanton

Rear Admiral

Does the termials on the tach have a mark that ids the termial? Do not understand the purple wire connection. After market tach.

If the 2 light remain on with the 8 pin harness connected, all sensors disconnected the tach is bad, or wires shorted to ground.

clanton

Rear Admiral

Did I forget what engine this is, or you did not post.

V4 2 temp sensors on cylinder head. tan wire. sensor may have 6 in pigtail tan/blue stripe.
1 no oil being pumped sensor. tan/yellow stripe wire
1 low oil sensor in oil tank. tan/black stripe wire

I still think the tach is bad.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

The Purple wire supplies +12V from the ign accessory pole to run the gauges, OMS sensors, voltage regulator and some other stuff. If you have warning lights, when the 8 pin connector is disconnected, I think you have a bad Tach.

bdmurphy75

Cadet

Year 2000 70 HP Johnson, not certain how I forgot that...

bdmurphy75

Cadet

The Purple wire supplies +12V from the ign accessory pole to run the gauges, OMS sensors, voltage regulator and some other stuff. If you have warning lights, when the 8 pin connector is disconnected, I think you have a bad Tach.

Yes, exactly what he said, it goes to a pole labeled ign. that is correct, when the 8 pin harness is disconnected, two lights still come on. I cannot find any identifying part numbers on this thing.... What I can tell you is it is not aftermarket according to Lund, who I spoke to yesterday. He advised the tach is a teleflex brand, original part# teleflex is 62396 which I could not locate anywhere and the Lund part# is 1987630, which, also I could not locate anywhere.

bdmurphy75

Cadet

Here it is, this is exactly what I have. Still, no part #......

Attachments

• Lund Tachometer.jpg
    Lund Tachometer.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 1