Problem with a venture trailer!

MikDee

Banned
This 2002 venture trailer came with my recent boat, and I was happy about getting a newer trailer, with rollers too! But after using it only 3 times, I have a problem with no solution that I can come up with? Apparently the way it's made, the last time I loaded the boat on it, the cradle of the rollers moved out of it's pivot point (off center) creating a problem supporting the boat, and I don't see a way to keep it secured to it's pivot point? It seems if the boat bumps it (even gently), it moves out of place. This will never do, there is a little piece of yellow plastic in the middle that fits over the metal bar (that fell off the front ones) but it does not limit travel of the bar, in fact I don't know what it's for, but it doesn't do much? Anyone have any idea's how to fix this, or solve this problem? see attached pics:

Attachments

• Venture trailer 001.jpg
    Venture trailer 001.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Venture trailer 005.jpg
    Venture trailer 005.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Venture trailer 002.jpg
    Venture trailer 002.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Tinlizzy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Problem with a venture trailer!

This may seem simple, but have you tried to reset the rollers pivot and re-tighten the nuts on the U-Bolt? They could have worked loose. If not, I would start with that and work from there. Next time you launch bring a ratchet/socket and when the boat is off the trailer set the pivot and re-tighten the nuts.

Check to see its position when you reload the boat.

Nova II 260

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Maybe if you put the roller axle under the bracket it would be trapped and shouldn't slide sideways.
Bunks, is the other answer!!

some people have way too much time on their hands...

Attachments

• roller.jpg
    roller.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 0

MikDee

Banned

Thanks but it appears that the U bolt is where it's supposed to be, you can only tighten it so much, then it will crush the rubber and not allow any pivoting. I need something to keep the pivot point in the middle, allowing it to swing either way as needed. The bottom of the boat has laps on it by design, and even a little bump sideways by them trying to center it while loading, knocks them off center. That's how this happened to start with.

Tinlizzy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Is that the only set of rollers that does this?

MikDee

Banned

No, both sets in the front are off center only from the last boat loading at the ramp, also the last one on the starboard side has moved some off center. I'm not impressed with this Venture trailer, besides it only has 6 sets of rollers, 2 in the front, and 4 in the back (12 total)? not even any keel guide rollers!

Tinlizzy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well with that being said....bunk boards for your style boat? :confused:

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

What a piece of junk!

Take it back and get a bunk trailer or a roller trailer that stays together.

MikDee

Banned

Thanks for the comment JB you're alot of help :( It's what came with the used boat, and I thought it was better then a float on style trailer with bunks, at least it's galvanized. I got a total of 3 launchings before this happened. I guess I thought Venture trailers were better then this, so be it. I wasn't looking to invest in a lot of work, or money to put bunks on it right now, and throw away perfectly good rollers, but I guess I will sooner or later. I'm still looking for an easy fix to get through the season.

tommays

Admiral

I THINK I WOULD CALL VENTURE :D

it is a very common trailer around here and i have never seen one do that

I gotta think somebody put it toghter wrong :confused:

Tommays

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I misunderstood, MD. I thought it was a new trailer that you just bought. Apologies.

Call Venture and see what they recommend. Then call championtrailers.com and see what they recommend.

MikDee

Banned

I misunderstood, MD. I thought it was a new trailer that you just bought. Apologies.

Call Venture and see what they recommend. Then call championtrailers.com and see what they recommend.

Well I was taken aback by your statement JB, but then again figured maybe you thought it was a new trailer, thanks for clarifying that. Peace!

Wouldn't you know, Venture's manufacturer label is there on the front but all field's are blank? Makes you wonder, did they write it in disappearing ink?,,,lol I need to find out what model it is?

Wotam

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I take it the molded 'ribs' or chines in the hull are causing the rollers to walk sideways as the boat comes on the trailer. Not really the rollers fault, a bit of an odd hull design that's not compatible with them.

Can you relocate the rollers inboard or outboard to keep them from getting trapped? I

MikDee

Banned

I take it the molded 'ribs' or chines in the hull are causing the rollers to walk sideways as the boat comes on the trailer. Not really the rollers fault, a bit of an odd hull design that's not compatible with them.

Can you relocate the rollers inboard or outboard to keep them from getting trapped? I

Yes, exactly! Don't know if I can, I gotta study it some.

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

Just my 2 cents, no offence man but ive never seen suck a POS roller style. That is the crappiest trailer ive seen. Maybee you can sell the trailer and get a bunk style one with the money. I have a roller trailer for my newest boat (to me) that came with it. Im going to get a good bunk trailer and take the rollers off the one i have now and convert it to a utility trailer and sell it. Then im going to take the rollers and brackets to the dump so that noone messes up their boat with the rollers. I think that the roller trailers are ok for light boats but any boat with any weight too it the rollers are just going to tear up the hull. I dont want to start a areguement on the bunk vs. roller style but thats just my opinion. Ive seen so manny boats messed up bu rollers.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

No, both sets in the front are off center only from the last boat loading at the ramp, also the last one on the starboard side has moved some off center. I'm not impressed with this Venture trailer, besides it only has 6 sets of rollers, 2 in the front, and 4 in the back (12 total)? not even any keel guide rollers!

You don't want or need keel guide rollers on a load leveling trailer. They are nothing but problems anyhow.

Al Kungel

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Can you fastened a "U" bracket on each side of the pivot point to keep the roller assembly from shifting ??? I would have to see it to see if this is possible.

JDP

Petty Officer 3rd Class

This is just a suggestion but could you loosen the U bolt and put a small flat piece of rubber between the U bolt and roller assembly right at the pivot point? It would still allow the assembly to pivot but maybe keep it from sliding down. Like I said it's just a thought. Another suggestion would be to get somebody to weld a small bead to the roller assembly on both sides of the U bolt to keep it from sliding down.

Wotam

Petty Officer 2nd Class

"weld a small bead to the roller assembly on both sides of the U bolt to keep it from sliding down."

That may keep the rollers from moving sideways, but those ridges in the hull are going to have some weird interactions with the rollers if they need to climb over them as the boat comes on the trailer.

May trade one problem for another.

JDP

Petty Officer 3rd Class

"weld a small bead to the roller assembly on both sides of the U bolt to keep it from sliding down."

That may keep the rollers from moving sideways, but those ridges in the hull are going to have some weird interactions with the rollers if they need to climb over them as the boat comes on the trailer.

May trade one problem for another.

I'm not saying weld the roller assembly to the U bolts. Just something to keep the assembly from sliding between the U bolts and the bracket.