did they ever use 100:1

rebuilt

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: did they ever use 100:1

I've never even heard of that. My VRO2 documentation says at idle, the oil mix will automatically reduce to 100:1. But that's at idle only. At speed, it goes back to the standard 50:1. The guy is selling a motor. Youtube is the giveaway. Make him get off a model # and reference it out. The older motors ran richer than that. 24:1 It doesn't even sound reasonable to run that motor at 100:1. IMHO, if he's been running it at that, it wont run much longer. I would be careful with this one. KR :)

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

Back in the 80s, OMC mistakenly put that you should run it at 100:1 in many of the manuals. This was later recalled, but what is in the paperwork people already have, can't be changed. NEVER run it on 100:1.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

They tried it in the mid 80s and regained their senses. Run it at 50:1. If it's a kicker running at idle all the time, 100:1 is a somewhat common practice.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

100:1 was not an issue regarding engine longevity. Problems started occurring in engines that were not being run on a weekly basis. It seems that 100:1 wasn't leaving enough oil residue on the internals. leading to rusting of the bearings and crankshaft. As mentioned before OMC went back to 50:1.

As a side note. During the 60s McCulloch had a 100:1 oil for their outboards. It contained some sort of compound that made the gas feel very slippery but not oilly.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Back in '65 I was in Biloxi, Miss. and the local McCullough dealer had two kinds of oil.....50:1 in a yellow can, and 100:1 in a (half sized) red can. Both oils could be used in all their engines.

So, it was there.....if you could afford it. Was it synthetic? Have no idea.

So that's proof in the pudding; not the engines necessarily; it's the oil technology which matters.

That's why I'd run a 50's keepsake on 5:1 TCW-3 in a heartbeat.

Mark

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Back in '65 I was in Biloxi, Miss. and the local McCullough dealer had two kinds of oil.....50:1 in a yellow can, and 100:1 in a (half sized) red can. Both oils could be used in all their engines.

So, it was there.....if you could afford it. Was it synthetic? Have no idea.

So that's proof in the pudding; not the engines necessarily; it's the oil technology which matters.

That's why I'd run a 50's keepsake on 5:1 TCW-3 in a heartbeat.

Mark

Hi, Once owned a 9 hp McCullough and I remember this oil in the red can. Were they leading the way for Amsoil Saber which is specific to 100:1 ratio ???? And that almost everybody desagree with nowadays ... LOL

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

99.999% of 2 cycle owners use 50-1
..buck the odds...
..I fix motors..

cougar1985

Lieutenant Junior Grade

not to confuse the issue but im sure yamaha had a few motors that ran on 100:1. scatty ive been bucking the odds for 5 years with a 1969 olympic snowmobile that runs 100:1 amsoil and runs every day in the winter for many many hours.there again that motor is near indestructible ,it started out as a experiment to see if the old recommendation of 20:1 (i think?) was only valid for its day and the oil technoligy of the day.nothing to lose if it blows up cause it only cost a 150 bucks but its still running and is always the easiest to start no matter how cold.not bad for a 37 year old fancooled 2-stroke you got to admit.its nothing to have the kids run that thing 8 to 10 hours nonstop in the winter on the weekends and a little less during weekdays.dont really think i would try it with my 90 evinrude but i do wonder.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Typo clarification.......having a problem with the numbers across the top not functioning......second Dynex keyboard from Best Buy and they both have the same problem.

In the last line, 5:1 should obviously be 50:1 for the oil ratio I'd run.

Sorry for any confusion.

Mark

cougar1985

Lieutenant Junior Grade

id like to add a disclaimer to my previous post.if i want to fool around with my motors and experiment with the oil ratio thats my risk.take scaatys advise and go with the 50:1 ratio.as you would note i fooled around with a old snow-machine and would not of been out any real money if i messed up and more importantly could walk home.you dont have that option if you bugger up your motor out on the water.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Outboards are under constant load, pushing a lot of weight, and displacing tons of water...sleds aint
As I have the same motor (15hp) on my 5000lb as a kicker, I'd be a fool to run 100-1..and I don't

cougar1985

Lieutenant Junior Grade

try pulling a buried sled out of a ton of snow and tell me theres no resistance,lol.ohh may aching back.like i said ,old sled didnt care just wanted to experiment thats all.everyhting else i have gets the manufactures specified treatment you can be assured.really when you get right down to it 50:1 really isnt a lot in the big sceam of things.im not going to trust my life to an experiment out on the water.if lake superior can send a 1000 ft freighter to the bottom i dont think it would have much problem doing me in if im dumb enough to get myself in trouble.so manufactures spec for the boat all the way.

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

Cougar, what Scaaty was saying was, that outboards ALWAYS have that resistance. Sleds can go downhill at which the engine is not under much load. Also, I assume that they have gears (I don't know. Heck, I don't even know what snow looks like - but, I get to fish all winter:D) so that when pulling really heavy loads, you can put it in a lower gear, and not ALL of the force is put on the engine. In an outboard, if the boat is moving, the motor is under extreme resistance.

cougar1985

Lieutenant Junior Grade

this winter i will send you some snow!about 5 feet be ok?not that ive ever done it but i would guess youve never seen a sled passing you on the river at 70 mph either.cops frown on it bigtime but it sure looks wild.anyways my last post was more tongue in cheek actually.sleds have a belt clutch system ,call it a cvt tranny if you like .sleds deal with slippage and other factors and quite frankly wear out fast .parts take a beating also,suspension etc.kills the winter though.my sled idles at 1500 rpm and tops out at about 8 grand or so.some of the new ones are at 11,000 rpm now.ever want to go on a different vacation it be a experience for you you,d proably enjoy.met a guy last year from florida who,d never see snow before and he had a ball.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

100:1 scarey.
50:1 Usual.
24:1 Some Older Motors.
VRO. Hope it keeps working !!!!
Enough Lubrication.........Priceless !!!!

cougar1985

Lieutenant Junior Grade

my buddy bought a vro johnson years ago brand new and it proceeded to blow up right away so there i am dancing around the motor singing vro vro it dont want to go,if he could of caught me i would of been toast,lol.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

So far so good with mine. A little smokey at cold start but that just lets me know it is getting enough and runs great from there on.

cougar1985

Lieutenant Junior Grade

just noticed your year of motor,i think his was the same year ,hasnt run right yet.blew 2 lower units 1 week apart and never ran right atall,i guess he just got a lemon,his was 50 hp.

wbeaton

Commander

I believe our Yamaha outboards at work are 100:1. Of course, I seldom use them. I prefer to run the Evinrudes. However, I still mix them all at 50:1 since they are mostly used only for a couple weeks in the spring and fall.

I don't know why people are so scared of 100:1. It seems pretty well documented that failure in the 1980's OMC's was attributed to a lack of lubrication during storage not operation. I have a 1987 20 hp that never had anything but 100:1 through it (until I bought it 2 years ago), was never winterised and spent its winters outside under a tarp and it still has great compression and runs beautifully.

I also remember a retired (I believe) marine mechanic and frequent poster write that OMC claimed to their dealers that you could run 100:1 in some of their motors back in the 1960's, but that people couldn't be trusted to mix it properly so it was never recommended.

However, we all have our opinions. I'm no exception. It took me awhile to accept that 5W20 was fine to run in my truck during the summer. Who am I to argue with Mr. Ford?