Why why why???

mark_fitzy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well if you have read my other post you would see that I must have run over a cat or more. The bad luck that I have had is unbelievable.

A quick run down:
Purchased a 1995 Regal Bowrider 182 with inboard mercruiser v6 in Feb 2009 since then I have replaced the Engine coupler
(engine has to be remove to fix) then Engine blew(overheated) replaced engine back in April 2009 and in March 2010 new engine had to be installed because of a mechanics inferior work(which I am in the process of suing now)

I couldnt wait for the mechanic to reimburse me for the new motor because I wanted the boat back on the water and I will continue to chase him for reimbursment.

I went and purchased a new rebulit motor from a new motor/Rebulit motor supply business and had it delivered to a Mechanical workshop. I had it installed and mechanic said it was all good to go and so today Sunday 27th March 2010 I went to the river to start to run it in.

I just got it back from attempting to run it in, NOT HAPPENING, I drove up the river, not longer then a couple of mins and the alarm went off. I turned the motor off and visually inspected the motor and couldnt see any issue. I then started it back up again and the alarm went off, I turned the boat around to come back to shore and within seconds the alarm came back on. I then turned the motor off and I looked around and there was black smoke coming from the rear of the boat. Once the smoke cleared I tried to start again so I could get back to shore and it wouldnt even turn over so I got towed back to shore.

Well the motor could be screwed, The motor has a 12 month guarantee, but who is responsible for paying for the Labor of pulling the motor out and re installing the new one?

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Why why why???

So, are you sending the boat (and engine) to me, or am I coming to you?? :D:D:D

Chris.......

mark_fitzy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Oh Mate
I am freaking out. This mechanic is going to get an ear full tomorrow. You think he would have at least taken it for a test run, obviously not!

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Some engine builders pay the labor for the swap....I hope yours does!

Was the oil pressure low or the temp gauge high? Black smoke from the engine bay...oh no!

achris

Are these workshops you're using certified Mercruiser dealers? Sounds like they don't understand the 'marine' part of 'boat'....

I currently have a friend's V6 in bits (cracked timing cover, don't get me started!) and when that engine is finished and ready to run. I'LL BE IN THE BOAT!!! I've done the job plenty of times, but I try not to leave anything to chance... Murphy has a rule... if anything can go wrong, it will... So I will be there to try and subvert Murphy...

If you want to give me a call, PM me and I'll give you my number...

Chris........

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Chris,

I have been to Perth! Isn't a Perth "fair-piece" from Sydney? (a few miles at least!:p)

Mark,

I cannot remember the details from your original post(s) .........did anyone at least put the engine on "muffs" and check water flow before turning it over to you ?

From "day-ONE", Did anyone ever pull the drive apart and replace/inspect the raw water pump?

This smells a lot like burned rubber (I can smell it from here!!)

That only happens if there's NO water mixed with the exhaust going down the Y-pipe!

Ripcord639

Recruit

Mate the last person who fiited your engine should be responsible for refit of engine.Insist on it , stick to your guns.take loads of pictures :mad:
That is some bad news.
Hope you get sorted.

mark_fitzy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Was the oil pressure low or the temp gauge high? Black smoke from the engine bay...oh no!

Thats the strange thing, Oil Pressure was fine and Temp was only starting to move as I only had been on the water for a few minutes.,Although when I switched the engine off I notice for a second that the temp went up, I believe this is because there is no water pumping through it when motor was stopped.

Are these workshops you're using certified Mercruiser dealers? Sounds like they don't understand the 'marine' part of 'boat'....
but I try not to leave anything to chance... Murphy has a rule... if anything can go wrong, it will... So I will be there to try and subvert Murphy...

If you want to give me a call, PM me and I'll give you my number...

Chris........

AChris Thats was the first thing I Checked on his webpage and even states Mercruiser. I know Murphy very well. Also thanks, I wll see what happens today and if I need your help Iwill get your number cheers mate.
By the way its 4.30am I cant sleep because of this Pr%^k

Mark,

I cannot remember the details from your original post(s) .........did anyone at least put the engine on "muffs" and check water flow before turning it over to you ?

From "day-ONE", Did anyone ever pull the drive apart and replace/inspect the raw water pump?

This smells a lot like burned rubber (I can smell it from here!!)

That only happens if there's NO water mixed with the exhaust going down the Y-pipe!

Yea they started it many times and checked the water pumping out I seen it myself,

Yes the pump was pulled down, thats why they believed why the head gasket blew and a new engine had to be installed because of the last guy that had the boat didnt put a gasket on correctly (thats what the insurance people said anyway). So Pump was pulled down new impellor installed etc

Mate the last person who fiited your engine should be responsible for refit of engine.Insist on it , stick to your guns.take loads of pictures :mad:
That is some bad news.
Hope you get sorted.

Thanks RIPCORD , this guy is going to get a real headache to start his week off, Thank god my misses is a legal secretary ! I will through the book at him if I have to, I am so over this !!

mark_fitzy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Chris........

Hey Chris
I sent you an email with the guys website, have a look tell me what you think

mark_fitzy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well I took the boat to the mechanic first thing this morning and gave him a peace of my mind. He said it sounds strange and that he will look at it, I said dont just look at it, take it for a run! He agreed that he would.

I went and seen him this afternoon and suprise suprise he found the same thing as I told him. He found that a wire off the choke wasnt connected thus not switching off, he fix that and said it ran fine, then the Alarm went off on him(it was the temp alarm) he said the temp wasnt getting hot and that the alarm was going off for no reason.

so he promises me that their is nothing mechanically wrong with the motor as its just wiring problem and that he will fix it tomorrow and then take me for a run in the boat with him so we are both satisfied.

I will let you know the outcome.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

just a quick note...

if this is a merc/alpha drive...

did you see the water coming out when the motor was on land and running with the muffs on?...

if so...please remember that the water pressure from the garden hose has enough pressure to pump thru the system...
when a boat is on the water....it needs the impellar to "suck" the water up the drive and pump it into the motor..

a very common mistake is to see the water coming out of the drive on land and think the impellar is good.

i would have it checked.

cheers, and good luck
oops

ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The wire going to the choke is not going to set off the alarm.It sounds like the engine is running hot,don't depend on your temp gauge as it may not be correct.Use a infared temp gun instead.How about the manifolds and risers??? Are they clogged up? If the water can't get out fast enough it will run hot.

achris

Mark,

Got your PM and checked out the website... Not sure one way or the other... I checked the Merc Oz website and he's listed as a dealer... So he has 'factory backup'... for what that's worth. (see my threads on cracked timing covers :mad:) I believe most of the 'old hacks' (yep, that's you Don, and you Bond-o, and yes I haven't forgotten you either Rodbolt :D) know more than most 'techs' in the field.

Water pump.... There in lies a tale... The Gen II pump housing MUST be installed using the alignment pins... If it isn't there is a possibility of a failure in the future, and don't let ANYBODY tell you different... If he didn't use the pins, get him to pull it down and do it again, with the pins....

If the wire was left off the auto choke, then that would easily account for the black smoke and stalling (flooded engine). Those chokes close pretty tight...

If the alarm is going off, that needs to be tracked down... I don't believe it's a 'simple wiring fault'... Only 3 things can trigger the alarm. 1. Over temp, 2. low oil pressure, 3. Low oil level in the drive oil monitor bottle...

I ran this engine (4.3LX) for 12 years before upgrading to my current MPI.... I know them quite well. :D

Chris.......

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Only 3 things can trigger the alarm. 1. Over temp, 2. low oil pressure, 3. Low oil level in the drive oil monitor bottle...

Ummmm, 4 things.... :p

The 4th is a chafed wire from the 3 above going to the "buzzer".

If it's chafed and exposed and it touches ground, it will trigger the alarm!

Cheers,

Rick

achris

Ummmm, 4 things.... :p

The 4th is a chafed wire from the 3 above going to the "buzzer".
If it's chafed and exposed and it touches ground, it will trigger the alarm!

Cheers,
Rick

Smartass....

:D:D:D

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You know what worries me more about this thread than anything else? You guys had the installer convicted and hung before he ever even heard there was a problem.

I am freaking out. This mechanic is going to get an ear full tomorrow.

That ought to work.

You purchaced the engine, he didn't. If it was actually an engine problem then the installer is not the person you should give an ear full.

What about the exhaust manifolds and risers. Were they any good. was your installer asked to check or just "Use these"

Smoke coming from the back of the boat would be normal if the choke was still on because it wasn't hooked up. It could also be from burned exhaust hoses from lack of water. Did you open the engine cover and check the engine to see if it was physically hot, or leaking or anything? Doesn't sound like it from your discription.

I'm not saying you are wrong, but I am also not hanging the guy that only installed your engine for you. But you really need to give it a chance and see what they do before you go ripping people to shreads because your boat broke.

achris

I don't know about convicted and hung... The installer should have been aware of the previous problems, and being aware of how Mark was feeling about the boat. In that case he should have spent the extra few minutes checking things out. It appears he didn't. And before you say 'Anybody could miss a wire', if he did, then that indicates he didn't run the engine up properly in the workshop. If he had, he would have/should have noticed something was wrong when the choke didn't open up.... That's just apprentice stuff and shouldn't be missed by a qualified mechanic. :mad::mad:

I think this may be a case of 'time is money', get it fitted and out the door, with a 'she'll be right' attitude, and for that he does deserve a blast...

Chris.........