15 hp johnson, no spark.

evilwind1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello everyone at IBOATS, happy belated July 4th! Have not been on in a while due to hectic schedule (not on the water either) but now I am starting to get the boat in order and need some help. I just bought 15 hp Johnson pull start, mid 70's I think, and can't get it to start ,not even a puff. I checked every thing and seems intact but when I pull it over with the plugs out I don't see any spark coming from contact. The guy I bought it from said it ran last year and was always maintained (old man who saved all old spark plugs in their boxes in a zip lock!)I know the guy, he's honest. I believe it's something minor I'm missing but need some troubleshooting input.Maybe magneto?Thanks, Bill. PS I am also learning how to post pics and will soon, I have some projects that I'm resurrecting and would appreciate some feedback etc, thanks again!

reload

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 15 hp johnson, no spark.

Does it have points and condenser? Start there. A model number would help.

evilwind1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks, I'll try to get the serial # and year. I have the service manual and will review to see what I can find.

licketdsplit756

Petty Officer 1st Class

you got good compression? give her a good tune up. i do that every other yr needed or not. never missed a day fishing in 10 yrs.

evilwind1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I believe the motor is a 1976.Do you know what should the compression read cold? Also could the kill switch have something to do with it? Thanks.