bearing buddies questions

nightvision

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi all,
I have a Shorlander trailer with Bearing Buddies. I'm new to trailering so here are some questions.

a. When greasing the the bearing buddies, does the grease go all the way to the outer bearing, into the spindle, and then to the inner bearing?

b. Is it correct that I should apply one or two squeeze in the zerk before every trip out?

c. To check to see if I have positive pressure on the bearing buddies I just need to press lightly on the diaphram and should feel some give. If this occurs then I'm OK. Correct?

Thanks.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: bearing buddies questions

Howdy, NV.

a. Yes.

b., c. Don't overgrease them or you will damage the inner seal. As long as the spring is visibly compressed but not fully compressed you are okay.

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant

Watch it with the finger. Sometimes those things can be wicked sharp.

I wiped the greese out of mine with my finger ONCE!

nightvision

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the responses.

I like to remove and my bearing buddies to inspect and repack my bearing.

a. To remove the bearing buddies I would walk it out by tapping all four corners with a hammer and a piece of wood. Once the bearing buddies is out, I can clean the grease off and leave the bearing buddies internal mechanism alone. I was thinking of using brake cleaning spray to clean off the grease. Then proceed with removing the castle nut an clean and repack the inner and outer bearings (replace seal also). Then put everything back and apply the grease via the bearing buddies zerk. Is this the correct procedure?

b. I have heard that if one have bearing buddies, one only need to repact the bearings every 3 or 4 years. Agree?

THanks.

tommays

Admiral

Repacking is more about preventive maintenance than the grease needing to be replaced

It is hard to say when a rear seal will leak

I have had bearings last between 9 years and 9 months :eek:

P5241726.JPG

At some point in and axles life the seal area will get water damage and that is were the 9 month thing comes in

P5241729.JPG

I have repaired mine BUT still rind peace of mind in taking the few hours in the spring to have a trouble free boating season

Tommays

burroak

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Hi all,
I have a Shorlander trailer with Bearing Buddies. I'm new to trailering so here are some questions.

a. When greasing the the bearing buddies, does the grease go all the way to the outer bearing, into the spindle, and then to the inner bearing?

b. Is it correct that I should apply one or two squeeze in the zerk before every trip out?

c. To check to see if I have positive pressure on the bearing buddies I just need to press lightly on the diaphram and should feel some give. If this occurs then I'm OK. Correct?

Thanks.

If you have the newer model of Bearing Buddies, there is a small overfill hole that indicates when the hub is full of grease. As you fill the hub, the diaphragm moves out and past the overflow hole and a little 'worm' of grease will appear. Any time you are unsure of the amount of grease, give it enough pumps for you to see the grease appear.

If yours do not have the weep hole, you can put them in. Just take a look at the new ones in the store and duplicate them.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hand pack the bearings before you reinstall the BBs, NV. Then add enough through the zerk to pressurize. Otherwise you will have air pockets, and that can be bad.

MercGuy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Repacking is more about preventive maintenance than the grease needing to be replaced

It is hard to say when a rear seal will leak

I have had bearings last between 9 years and 9 months :eek:

P5241726.JPG

At some point in and axles life the seal area will get water damage and that is were the 9 month thing comes in

P5241729.JPG

I have repaired mine BUT still rind peace of mind in taking the few hours in the spring to have a trouble free boating season

Tommays

How did you do that repair ?? Did you slide a stainless steel sleeve over the axle ? If so, can you provide a manufacturer & part number ?

I would like to do this the next time I change bearings as the seal area is developing wear rings from the seals.

Thanks !!

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

push the pressure plate with your finger.......

If it "gives" at all, don't add grease.

If it doesn't "give", add just enough grease until you see the pressure plate start to move.

MercGuy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the quick answer !!

I'm going to get a pair of these. Just what my trailer needs.

Looks like a set should last the lifetime of the trailer.

rndn

Commander

Be careful of using the brake cleaner around any of the rubber seals on your axel and bearing buddies.

burroak

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Does anyone know the approximate cost of the Speedi Sleeves?

QuadManiac

Petty Officer 1st Class

Does anyone know the approximate cost of the Speedi Sleeves?

Depending on size, they appear to cost somewhere between $25 and $50 apiece. Saw some available through Amazon.com

woodchip

Seaman Apprentice

I have a large void from the outer bearings to the inner bearings and don't see how grease would get from the outer bearings to the inner bearings .Do you just add grease until it's full in there?

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

they all have a large void, chip, pack it full when you install it - then grease flows through the spaces between the cage and the bearings.