Flushing the engine at home

Tiki35

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi:

I have a 2000 Mercury 150 outboard and I like to warm up the engine at home on the trailer before taking it down to the ramp. Of course, the same thing at the end of the day for flushing. I live in a very quiet community and the sound of my engine with the muffs on sounds like 3 harley's without muffler. Assuming you can find one big enough, does anyone just fill a tub full of water (above the intakes of course) and run it this way so the water dampens the sound? I know people use trash cans to run their kickers.
Is using a big tub acceptable?

Thanks,

Mike

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Flushing the engine at home

Would your community tolerate you having a livestock watering tank sitting around? Those will give enough room to back up to it and run the tilt down. Maybe you can hide it with posies.

Tiki35

Petty Officer 3rd Class

That's exactly what I have just bought.
I went to one of those stores and bought a big round 64 gallon tub that fits well.
Neighbours are fine with that.

I haven't used it yet, I know the exhaust is through my prop, so my concern was that dirty water would be coming out the exhaust and then circulating back through the intakes and through the engine. I have been reading the newsgroups and lots of people seem to use big tubs or barrels so it must okay?

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

I would think it would be OK for warming it up, etc., but not so good for flushing. You'll defeat the purpose flushing with salt water...dilute or not...

jurgenscraft

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hello all. Put the muffs on last with a little salt away, with the prop/exhaust in the tank, the last thing to go through would be Salt Away leaving the motor flushed and protected,that is if you are sea boating, I took a good 45 gallon?200 lt dron and cut a hole in the sude and use it as a flushing tank, works well for me.
Kind Regards William Wright.