Just picked up a Johnson JW-14 Restoration project.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral
I'm looking to restore this one. It doesn't look to be in too bad of shape, but I may be looking for a tank and lower shroud assembly. It pulls over great and the compression feels pretty good. I'll take a reading and see how it looks. First, I want to remove the tank and clean it all up and flush the crank case out with some fresh fuel mix. I figure then, the rings will be working right and give me an acurate reading on the compression. The coils are all cracked to beat hell, so I know a total armeture plate recondition is in order. I put fresh gas in it, to help disolve the yucky oil build up in the fuel system. I'll have to pull the carb apart and royally clean it out. Cool little motor and it'll be a fun project.:D

Attachments

• IMG_0125A.JPG
    IMG_0125A.JPG
    25.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0126A.JPG
    IMG_0126A.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0127A.JPG
    IMG_0127A.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0128A.JPG
    IMG_0128A.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 3

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Just picked up a Johnson JW-14 Restoration project.

If anyone ever made a better outboard than the Johnny JW and JH series I never heard of it.

kbait

Commander

Evinrude lightwins and ducktwins! Well, they are just as good..haha.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Well said so far, but gotta rag on Zeph to provide pix...you know we love eye candy.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Evinrude lightwins and ducktwins! Well, they are just as good..haha.

They are the same engines in different costume. Agree they are "just as good".

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Well said so far, but gotta rag on Zeph to provide pix...you know we love eye candy.

Yea, I'll get some photos of my finds while their in the "rough":D

Tons of antique gas and oil to get rid of, in the fuel system, before I could even fire it up. I don't think I'll need to strip and repaint the JW though, the powerhead and lower half both look to be in great shape, paintwise. I love the weedless prop though. Cool design. If I'm lucky enough to find a real nice tank and lower shroud assembly, then this little gem will look like a million bucks. I'll get a can of Chem Dip and clean out the inside of the gas tank and soak the carb. I'll get a new pair of coils, while I'm at Napa today too, but I might try and fire it up with the old ones, just to see if it'll run. Just by pulling on the rope, the compression feels pretty consistant between the two cylinders. I'll dump a cup of fuel mix down the carb and get everything inside lubed up good.:cool:

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

They are the same engines in different costume. Agree they are "just as good".

I have a 1970 4hp in my shed, that is a later version of the old 3 horse Light Twin. I just put a crank and rod assembly in it, for a guy last summer and it's in beautiful shape. The #2 connecting rod blew apart in pieces on him and that's kinda how I came up with my signature. LOL I'm just waiting for him to come and pay me and take it home. Awesome little machine. It's almost identical to the earlier Light Twins, with the exception of the shrouding and throttle lever. On this unit, the throttle lever is on the side and may make one think it's a shifter:D

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Well, I shot a bunch of WD-40 in the cylinders and dumped some gas through the crankcase. I spun it over and got it all loosen up inside. Compression is 60 psi #1 and 60 psi #2:D:D
The oil in the lower unit was nice and clean, but I'm changing it anyway. The ignition sparks good on both cylinders, despite the fact that both coils are cracked to beat hell. I think with a cleaned fuel system, new impeller and new coils, this baby will be ready to be put to use. All in all, this little motor is still in perfect shape mechanically. It has sat for the last 20+ years, so it has considerably low hours on it. I'll have some good pics to post by this evening.

Attachments

• IMG_0129A.JPG
    IMG_0129A.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0130A.JPG
    IMG_0130A.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 3

kbait

Commander

Try Tim's outboard 218-682-2331 for tank/cowling. They had other 3hp parts I needed a couple times..
Tell 'em kirby sent ya!

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Cool, thanks Kirby. I sent him an email last night as a matter of fact.:D

This little machine is a thing of beauty, now that I have it all cleaned up. Tomorrow, I'm going in town to get an impeller, carb kit and a new pair of coils.:cool: I'll post some pics in a while

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

I've mentioned this before, I wonder if the the guy's that do paintless dent removal could take the dent's out. I once had some hail damaged repair done on my truck. It's amazing where that guy could get a tool into, and the dent's were completely gone.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Yea, that would be nice. My tank has a few dents in it. Makes one wonder how a motor like this gets treated so rough:(

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

So, I finally went down and bought new coils, carb kit, spark plug lead and an impeller for this little gem. Got it all for just under 99 bucks. I pulled the old impeller out and found a broken fin on it and the remainders were all curled over. I did the pump replacement, inside of 20 minutes. Everything came apart really easy and went back together really easy. The ignition system is all nice and new now too. This little bugger should run like a champ when I get the carb and tank back on. I'll go to town and get some carb cleaner and tackle the last of it tomorrow. Maybe then, my lower shroud and faceplate will get here too.:cool::cool:

kyron4

Seaman

Yea, that would be nice. My tank has a few dents in it. Makes one wonder how a motor like this gets treated so rough:(

The tank on my '56 lightwin is dented in a few spots and the paint is scratched up pretty good. In overall apperance it looks likes it's been kicked around a garage for 30 years. Probaly why I got it fot $75, looks old and worn. But the insides were prestine, the top of the pistons and head were clean with no carbon or soot with excellent compression. It may not look shiny and new but it runs like brand new and that's all that counts.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Yep, that fits the description of mine. I have 60 psi per cylinder and the lower unit seems to be in good order, so there really isn't any need for a complete restoration here.:D These tiny little motors are cool as hell aren't they?:D

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Last night, I got the carb rebuilt and put back on then I left carb cleaner in the gas tank all night to break up all the solidified oil. I flushed out the tank and got the motor all back together today and it runs.

Attachments

• IMG_0143A.JPG
    IMG_0143A.JPG
    27.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0144A.JPG
    IMG_0144A.JPG
    28.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0147A.JPG
    IMG_0147A.JPG
    28.2 KB · Views: 3

wbeaton

Commander

That's a nice little motor. Interesting "after market" handle.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Yea, whoever did that, must have been a sheetmetal worker like myself. That's probably how I would have made it.:D:D