89 Mariner 135hp -- Stator help needed

jjam_20

Seaman Apprentice
hello all,

I am new here and have been reading for the last couple of days trying to find a definte answer but have had no luck. here is my problem

I have a 89 mariner 135 hp V6 with the number C125663. When you give the motor gas it stumbles and bogs with no power up to about 2000-2500 rpms. Once you past this point and get in the 3000 range the motor runs great with no problems at all. oh yeah the motor also runs a little rough at idle. I have checkd that all cyclinders are firing at idle and they are.

Now ihave already checked the compresion on all six cylinder and they are all between 110-115. So it has to be in the fuel system or ignition. I am going to rebuild the carbs & pump this weekend just for piece of mind.

Now on the ignition/stator, I have read in here that this is the source of many problems these motors have. I have tested all the red and blue wires on the stator to ground. these were the results that i got.

Red - 153 ohms
Red/White - 151 ohms
Blue - 6340 ohms
Blue/White - 6310 ohms

Now according to book only the blue blue/blue-white are out of spec as it states they should only be 6200 ohms. The book does not give specs for the 40 amp system vs. the 9-16 amp system. I have forund three different web sites with different comber for both system. According to serail number of the motor it should be a 40 amp system.

I am confused as to where to go with this, what the actaul specs are for the stator are, and if my system is infact a 40amp system.

Maybe i am analyzing this to much. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Jugfisher

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 89 Mariner 135hp -- Stator help needed

I am hoping that someone can help you with your problem b/c I am having the same. It will start and run fine. As long as there is no load it will throttle fine. As soon as you put it in gear it will go almost half throttle, start to struggle and then eventually go dead. Every now and agian I can get it to plane out and It will run fine. Normally it will not plane and will go dead. I have rebuilt my carbs (always a good idea!) New plugs New power pack and rebuilt motor. Now all of these were in bad shape and needed to be replaced. I do not recommend to start replacing things unless you know that it is bad. I would recommend taking a look at the carbs. See if they are gunked up at all and be sure your jets are free and clear of all obstruction. Let us know how the rebuild goes.

jjam_20

Seaman Apprentice

one other thing i forgot to ask is where is a good place to get these parts. I called the dealer and they want 95$ for the carb kit and told me they can not even get the fuel pump kit.

Again thanks for any info.

gss036

Commander

I would check the fuel system first. Have someone pump the primer bulb while your are accelerating and see if the helps, if so then go to the fuel pump. Then check the carbs. I think before I would rebuild the carbs I would run a "Very Strong" mix of Seafoam (in a small fuel tank if you have one) to see if that would help clean the carbs a little.
I have an OEM manual on that engine and I am unable to find those numbers for the stator test. What are you using to get the information. I do think it is a 40 Amp stator. I do not understand all the electrial stuff so can not be much help there.
IMPORTANT: STATOR MUST BE GROUNDED TO THE ENGINE
1. Remove 2 screws and lift outer switch box. Refer to switch box removal.
2. to test, disconnect blue/white and red/white stator leads from inner switcbox.
3. Use an ohmmeter and perform the following test.
My book shows between red/blue (ohms) <restistance> 3500-4200---- blue/white and red/white stator leads 3500-4200. on the right side of diagram shows 3.504.2 (R x 1000) for both.
Between red statorlead and black stator lead 90-140------red/white stator lead and black stator lead 90-140 and on the right shows 90-140 (R x 1) for both.
Says that if readings are other than specified, replace stator assy.
I don't really know if this will help, just copied from my OEM manual.

jjam_20

Seaman Apprentice

thanks gss036 for the reply but looking further into i think the motor is an 89 but the electrical is off of a 88 with a 16 amp circuit. The reason i think this is because the 40 amp circuits that I have seen have two pairs of yellow wires as mine has only one pair of yellow wires. I could be wrong though as this is all new to me.

Laddies

Banned

Remove the backdrag jets (float bowl vents) from the carbs they are what usally cause a lean off idle problem

jjam_20

Seaman Apprentice

Remove the backdrag jets (float bowl vents) from the carbs they are what usally cause a lean off idle problem

Laddies,

I know this may sound stupid but i just want to verify before i do this.

I need to remove the backdrag jets and Leave them out of the carb completely?

FYI - this system has the WH-38-1/WH-38-2/WH-38-3 carbs on it. I do not remeber seeing the jet you are talking about on it but i will double check when i get home.

redjmp

Chief Petty Officer

Try backing out your idle screws a 1/4 to 1/2 turn. It sounds like not enough gas. Maybe just some gunk in the carbs, or a bad fuel pump or an air leak in the lines. Plugged bowl vents as well. Maybe water in your lines and in the bottom of your bowls as well.
As for 6300 vs 6200 ohms, that does not matter as the difference is so small.
Most fine electronic appliances are built with resistance tolerances of + or- 20% and they all work just fine. Remember that this is just a test to see that the windings are not shorted or open. Besides, unless you have a well calibrated expensive meter, chances are that your readings are not all that precise anyways.....

jjam_20

Seaman Apprentice

redjmp,

thanks for the info. I have already checked on the idle screws there are no adjustments to carbs if you change anything you will have to change jets.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Leave the stator alone, it is not the problem and the ohms test is not near as reliable as DVA.

Spend some quality time with your carbs, many of the posters are fond of chemical 'fixes', NOTHING compares with taking it completely apart and cleaning with carb cleaner and compressed air.
These carbs use fixed oriface air bleeds which MUST BE CLEAN, no air = no fuel at low to mid RPM's. period.
If you are stil having low power at higher rpm then proceed to fuel supply, pump, filter(s), line size and length.

jjam_20

Seaman Apprentice

I am going to go through the carbs this weekend and see what i find. I do plan on doing the fuel pump and plugs regardless.

jjam_20

Seaman Apprentice

Laddies,

are you talking about the fuel bowl vent jets? If so i have one per cyclinder?

jjam_20

Seaman Apprentice

Ok, i got the carbs broke down and 4 out of 6 floats were adusted to high. Can this be the cause of my problem?

the spec is 1/16th of an inch the 4 that were wrong were atleast double that.

jjam_20

Seaman Apprentice

oh yeah the carbs were clean as a whistle. the only thing i could find wrong were the float settings. i am going to reassemble today and see how it runs. Any more info or help would be greatly appreciated.

jjam_20

Seaman Apprentice

carbs are installed and started. sounds better but i will have to get it out tomorrow to see how it does. Also when i set everthing the timming as at 4degrees when cranking and should have been at 18. just have to wait and see. I i will report back.

jjam_20

Seaman Apprentice

ok guys i just got back from taking it out for a spin and the problems is still there. So where do i start looking from here?

here are the specs

89 mariner 135 V6
23 pitch prop

here is what have tried so far

1. rebuilt the carbs and readjusted all of the floats as they were off.
2. rebuilt the fuel pump
3. link and sink the carbs and timming. the timing was set at 4 degrees when cranking and and the high was set at 16. both were wrong and readjusted
4. New plugs

here are the systems again

when from a dead stop you get on it the rpms go up to about 2000 and hold for while whild the motor sounds like it is bogging down when it gets to 3000 the motor will run with out any issues.

jjam_20

Seaman Apprentice

just did a spark gap test and everthing tested fine. The system was able to clear a 7/16 gap with no problems go spark on every cyclinder.

please anymore sugestion would be great.

redjmp

Chief Petty Officer

Did this boat and motor run better for you at some point?
23P sounds quite high for that size of boat.
My boat is a little smaller than yours and I run a 17P on a 115.

jjam_20

Seaman Apprentice

No i bought it this way thinking it was just a issue with the carbs but it looks to be little more.

Did this boat and motor run better for you at some point?
23P sounds quite high for that size of boat.
My boat is a little smaller than yours and I run a 17P on a 115.