aq125a timing belt/timing marks

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandyJ

Master Chief Petty Officer
Still trying to get this motor started with no luck. I'm fairly convinced that the timing belt has been installed incorrectly.... is there a way to identify that the camshaft and crankshaft and anything else is in the correct position? So far I've not been able to decipher my manual good enough to tell what I'm supposed to be looking at. The camshaft marks do not line up at the same time the crank's key way or timing marks line up... what's the clue? I don't want to have to tear it down to see if it's correct... something's wrong 'cause all it will do is backfire & sputter.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: aq125a timing belt/timing marks

Is it a new belt? Does it still have the timing mark lines still on it?
You don't line up the timing markes on the crankshaft pulley with the markes on the water pump. That is for when you get it back together.
You have to turn the crankshaft so the nick in the guide plate is aligned with the mark on the block. At the same time the cam mark should be lined up along with the dot on the wheel for the distributor & fuel pump shaft must line up with the notch in the plate. All of these have to be exact with the belt tight.
The distributor also has to be in the proper location. There is a line on the distributor housing where the rotor should point, and the wires have to be in the right place,

What manual do you have? Is it the Volvo OEM manual? IF so, what is the manual number, I may have it and can give you page numbers and figure numbers to help you out.

RandyJ

Nope. Just trying to check to see if belt has jumped time. I think the cam gear jumped. Rotor button is at #1 when crank marks line up at 10 degrees btdc. I got the Clymer manual and am not real pleased with its presentation of this topic.

RandyJ

It would really be helpful if I knew what exact position the cam or cam gear mark is supposed to be in when the crank marks are aligned. I just hate to tear it down only to check timing alignment...should be able to do that without any real trouble..but so far NO WAY.

RandyJ

Yep...got it torn down...definitely jumped time. The tension idler froze/rusted..so it had a reason for it.

Now... do any of you guys have a tension idler pulley for an AQ125A? volvo part #831986 ???
I'll also be needing a carb kit with accelerator pump, impeller, probably need to go ahead and put in a thermostat too. If ya got'em for a good price let me know.

RandyJ

GOOD NEWS!!! Still couldn't get anything going last night. The starter relay is bad so I'm using a jumper wire to crank it. I cleaned out the carb & put a kit in it last night. Not much trash and no corrosion. The top gasket was badly warped as was the fuel pump diaphragm. At first it wouldn't do anything but backfire when I tried to start it. I took out the distributor hold down bolt to turn the distributor a little further then it hit and purred like a kitten... sounds like a very good motor.

Question. I had seen an o-ring kit for the cooling system when looking for other parts. Now I can not find it online anywhere and my wholesaler does not stock much for Volvo's... any help on this kit? The price that was on it is $7.44. I thought it was on Go2marine but I'm not finding it there. I hope to put the rest of the motor back together tonight or in the morning and maybe even put it in the water for a check out run. Will have to get ready for some serious interior repair and crossing my fingers that there is no problem with rot on the stringers. So far I've only got to replace upholstery and the box around the engine is rotted. Under the driver's seat the floor is rotted and will have to be repaired. The carpet looks pretty good so I'm hoping to save it just to get out as cheap as possible for a while. Thank you guys for all your help, advice, and opinions.

Bruce53

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I had the same problem on a smaller engine with geared cam. Something slipped and I think it was old rubber vulcanized in the damper. Anyhow, I loosened the distributer bolt and cranked the engine over while I slowly rotated the distributor. Walla !! It fired at 18 degrees, to my great surprise, and settled into a smooth run at about 21 degrees btdc. I suspect if you are on the wrong side of the problem -- backing into 18 degrees atdc, you might do some damage with a big backfire....

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Obviously you have never even seen an AQ125 Volvo engine before..... have you?

PS, hears don't slip and heal.

Status
Not open for further replies.