MirroCraft Resto! Need Help!

fishie

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: MirroCraft Resto! Need Help!

Hey guys whats easier/better to glass with, mat or cloth? I'm about to start buildin up the new transom... Almost done with the trailer, I'll have some updated pics up soon!

fishie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What ignition switch would you guys recommend for my engine? And is it possible for me too use a "push to choke" switch, if not how can I run a choke button to the dash?...PS-Pics on the finished trailer are coming later on today!:D

fishie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Got the trailer finished up! Looks pretty good...
IMG_0620-1.jpg

IMG_0621.jpg

IMG_0622.jpg

IMG_0623.jpg

Just have to mount the winch tower back on and the tail-lights and it'll be ready. I have a couple of questions on the transom replacement...
IMG_0617.jpg

Is that aluminum cap that runs the length of the transom very hard to make? It's just thin sheet metal thats very easy to shape. Mines got a nasty tear in the middle were the motor was mounted and I want to replace it before I go mounting everything back on.

fishie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Anyone have any suggestions on support for my deck? I'm thinkin of runnin supports width wise and glassin em to the sides, would this work? Let me know what ya think...

oops!

Supreme Mariner

since thats a tinny, im not sure if glassing in frame supports will work.

have you gone to the boat store and crawled thru and over all the new boats and see what setups they are using?

fishie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

it feels rock solid so far, i really hope it works once its on the water. ill post some pics of how i installed the deck tomorrow. Right now its sittin on blocks and I can jump pretty hard and i dont hear so much as a squeak!

oops!

Supreme Mariner

atta go bud !:)

fishie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry I havent updated with pics in awhile, been busy wid da boat. Let me just say and Im sure others will concur....Glassing SUCKS!!! Anyway heres my update...
Transom all glassed up and going back in...
IMG_0627.jpg

All done with that mess-
IMG_0628.jpg

deck braces cut and glass ready for resin...
IMG_0630.jpg

All supports glassed, ready for deck-
IMG_0635.jpg

fishie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

These next 2 pics show the deck in, i used an expanding foam instead of peanut butter not only because it would have prolly taken about a gallon of resin just to make enough to fill the huge gap (which wasnt because of my carpentry skills the ribs of the hull kept it out to far;) ) I thought it might also act as a shock absorber. Anyway stuffs extremely stout and very easy to shape.
IMG_0638.jpg

IMG_0639.jpg

And finally I got the front end glassed down today! :D
IMG_0644.jpg

IMG_0645.jpg

fishie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So whatcha guys think so far?:D

oops!

Supreme Mariner

yer kickin its butt......dont forget to glass the top of the deck as well.....your gonna be on the water soon.....:D

fishie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks oops! Yea i've gotta pick up some more resin. I was thinking one layer of mat would be enough for the middle dont you? It's just for waterproofing, not structrual. It's amazing how strong glass is!! I can jump as hard as i want and not so much as a squeak! I'll try to get some more updates by wednesday.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

if you are using matt for the deck....i would go a minimum of 2 layers.....6-8 oz is optimal....

the deck takes a lot of weathering from tackel boxes and gas tanks.....

it really takes a beating......

as far as the glass being strong....!!!!!!! the stuff amazes me....even tho boats are rotten and beat.....the glass still holds up !

fishie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok, I'll go with at least 2 then. I'm also runnin 4 layers of 6oz about a foot up the gunwales to support them. I've got 2 layers on so far and I can already tell a difference in their rigidity. Any ideas on a splashwell design?

oops!

Supreme Mariner

copy the orig, bud...:)

fishie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would love to have an orig. to copy off of...... there never was a splashwell in this boat... I should be able to just make a form with some thin plywood and glass it in. right? I havent been able to work on it since sunday!!!:eek: hopefully sat and mon ill have off so I can get some more glass knocked out!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Hopefully TD will chime in on this one, he made a splash well for a boat that didn't have one and he had pictures.....

By the way, nice job.

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

Fishie it looks like you are useing that elmers resin that they sell at lowes. That stuff is good but it is waxed. I saw the can in one of your pics. Ive used a lot of that stuff but you need to sand it in-between layups. I think it works fine if you just sand the wax off in between but i was told that the layups will not hold and that the wax resin is for finishing layers. Just a thought for you. I ended up buying some un-waxed and it wets out the glass way better and easier and you dont have to sand in-between layers and you get more working time. Looks good though!