A couple of overall pics-
IMG_0559-1.jpg

IMG_0556.jpg

IMG_0557-1.jpg

The List!! -
- Long overdue overhaul on the trailer
- Paint job
- Full deck, stuck between a few different designs
- Steering and Throttle controls, center or side console?
- Seating?
- Carpet
- Storage
- Is tubing behind this thing out of the question?
- Oh yeah... NEW TRANSOM!

Well those are just the main things, anything I'm missing? ANY help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks!
Ryan :D

Bondo

Staff member
Re: MirroCraft Resto! Need Help!

anything I'm missing?

Ayuh,........ A couple of Seats........

They provide Alot of Strength to a hull like your's........

Silver Heels

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Boat looks pretty good as is! I know working on boats can be half the fun of owning them though. Looks like you have a nice galvanized trailer. You can paint if you want too, but an old galvanized trailer will look better ten years down the road than a painted one full of stone chips and flaking paint. Either way, pull those old lights and invest in some LEDs. As for the seats, I had a 16 foot lund I recovered using closed cell foam cut out from an exercise mat and covered with marine vinyl. It was very comfortable and held up very nicely. Oh, and that boat will run circles around other larger boats with bigger motors. Skiing will be easy and tubing will be a piece of cake.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

we use to ski behind a smaller boat than that. when you get your controls forward, it will be fine for pulling kids. maybe even adults.

HeavyObject

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Spent most of my childhood fishing out of one of those. That's what my dad had for 10-15 years. Nice little hull...:)

fishie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

AWESOME!!! I can't wait to get started. Bond-O, i realized this after I removed the seats. My take on it is after I add the deck will that not restore the rigidity to the hull and then some? Which brings another question... How is a deck installed in a boat like this? Do I run some stringers and cross-braces then lay the deck on that? I'm also thinking of 3 different deck layouts and cannot set my mind on any one... Maybe I can throw some diagrams on here and show you the designs I'm thinking of and I'll take a vote...lol... As far as towing goes do I just need a pylon? I'm adding a stern storage area for the tank and the batteries, I can mount a pylon to the top of the storage compartment. Pylons are'nt very cheap though, any other ideas?
Thanks
Ryan

fishie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Got a new trailer light kit! YAY... Is it sad that, that excites me?lol

erikgreen

Captain

I dunno about sad.... I've been excited to get a couple bottles of resin myself, or a fresh box of disposable gloves.

Ok, yes, it's sad :) :):rolleyes:

i386

Captain

fishie, about that deck...

I don't know how high you want to make it, but keep in mind you'll be moving the center of gravity up. Doing so may make the boat more "tippy". As far as stringers go, if the design of the boat never called for them, you don't need them. That's not to say you can't build any longitudinal supports for your deck, but you won't have to be quite as fussy about it as if you were building real stringers. Build as light and strong as you can.

fishie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

LOL...it is sad!! Oh well... But about the floor, that was one of my main concerns was the center of gravity being raised. If you notice in the pics that show the inside of the hull, I at first thought to raise the floor to were the tops of the ribs are. However if I do that theres only gonna be about 15-16" to the top rail... This eliminates having to cut out the floor sections for every single rib... And as for the supports, "stringers", I was just going to run 2 from fore to aft and lay in some crossbraces. I'm just kind of wondering if laying the floor above the ribs may be to high...?

i386

Captain

I'm just kind of wondering if laying the floor above the ribs may be to high...?

It doesn't look like it would be too high to me. To make sure, all you have to do is throw a piece of plywood in there with some temporary bracing. Then launch the boat and just walk around in there a bit. You'll know if it's right.

I'd pick a slow day at the lake or a ramp that doesn't get much use.

fishie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok, I think I'll do that.... I have a small lake in my neighborhood. I think I'll install the deck and test it there before I take it out to the big lake... Whats the best way to anchor the deck to the hull in this type of boat? Should I drill through the ribs and bolt it down? Also should I go with rotary or rack and pinion for steering?

fishie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

*UPDATE* Finally got a hitch for my tow vehicle(2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee)!! I've been towing it around with my buddies 98' Camry( LOL )
Kind of embarassing!! It could barely make it up the ramp, this boats light enough I could pull it up! Anyway it's a reese class 3, its not to shabby... install was pretty straight foward. Can anyone recommend a good floodlight or some source of light to attach to either the tow vehicle or the trailer so I can see it at night?

fishie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ideas on my previous 2 posts??

reelfishin

Captain

Had a 16' version of that boat with a partial closed bow with storage box.
You need to replace the two missing seats, they provide support to the hull and gunwales. Mine had three seat that looked just like your one remaining bench. I attached swivel seats to each bench.
Good boats, but on mine, they didn't leave enough room under the ribs for water to drain to the back. It would drain but slowly and they often got plugged.

fishie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah, I have the same issue with the water gettin stuck up in the front. A pine needle will clog it up! It did originally have 3 benches, now its only got the one. But as my previous posts state I'm rippin those out and putting in a full length deck which is were I'm hoping to get my rigidity from. Their lies the question... How do I anchor the deck to the hull to add the rigidness back in and so my deck does'nt shift when I hit a 4 foot wave! lol... I've thought about sending some butterfly anchors down into the ribs and just boltin the deck down...? Anyone think that would work?

fishie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

*UPDATE* Got the motor off the boat and the boat off the trailer... Did'nt realize just how heavy an outboard is until I lifted mine off by myself!!! LOL, but heres some pics, started striping the trailer down. Needs new brackets, roller shafts and wheel hubs!! Every bolt was rusted through so all the hardware needs replacing.
IMG_0610.jpg

IMG_0606.jpg

IMG_0607.jpg

Do you think I can just clean up the axle and leaf springs? I've got new U-bolts but would like to save on having to replace those pieces!
IMG_0608.jpg

How many coats of rustoleum do you think will keep this trailer looking good for years to come? 3 and 2 coats of clear?
Thanks
Ryan

oops!

Supreme Mariner

after you grind or sand blast off the rust, 2 coats will do....clear is up to you

i386

Captain

If you decide to take those roller brackets off, find a way to mark their location. I didn't do anything to my springs but nothing wrong with cleaning them up if you want. I did replace my wheel bearings though. Your trailer is in a lot better shape than mine was. None of mine is galvanized. They have complete axle and spring kits at Tractor Supply. I forget how much they cost, but it wasn't near what I thought it would be.

fishie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks oops! So you don't think the clear will help prevent the paint from chipping, or is chipping inevitable either way?
i386, Yea! I thought about that as I was taking the brakets off, I just took some pics of there location. I'm about to go check out Tractor Supply and see how much the leaf springs would be. The bushings that hold the 2 springs together and allow them to flex are worn out and extremely dry rotted! Thanks Guys!! More updates soon!!
Ryan