Is There New Ficht Diagnostic Software?

bucky4

Seaman Apprentice
I did a search and found some old posts (>1 yr) with Ficht diagnostic software information, but was wondering if anything new has come out lately and who might have it. <br /><br />I would like to avoid the older DOS based versions if at all possible. <br /><br />BTW, my motor is an early '97 150HP Johnson. <br /><br />Thanks.

rabidfish

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Is There New Ficht Diagnostic Software?

There is a windows based version.<br /><br />Any good BRP dealer will have it.<br />Although you may not be able to use it.<br /><br />The info required to register it exposes the dealer to all manner of unsightly issues. The least of which is it's not really for public distribution. Even worse, knowing the dealer's code to BRP's P & A can lead to a huge paperwork mess.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by iez44:<br /> I did a search and found some old posts (>1 yr) with Ficht diagnostic software information, but was wondering if anything new has come out lately and who might have it. <br /><br />I would like to avoid the older DOS based versions if at all possible. <br /><br />BTW, my motor is an early '97 150HP Johnson. <br /><br />Thanks.
Your 1997 FICHT has to use the DOS based software. The newer Windows version will only work with 2000 and later engines that have an Engine Management Module (EMM) computer. Sorry!

bucky4

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks guys for the update. I guess we're gonna take it comin' and goin' with these wonderful engines!!!

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

the first generation '97 FICHT worked OK, it was the 25" 150-175 motors of '98 and '99 that were the troublesome ones. They upgraded the software several times over the years until OMC went belly up in 2000. The 2000 and later FICHTS used a completely different electrical system that required different software, just like the cars that changed diagnostics over the years.

bucky4

Seaman Apprentice

seahorse, I agree with your comments seahorse about the first generation engines. <br /><br />As I said on another post, mine ran great the first year. (97) After the dealer got it in the spring of 98, upgraded the software and installed the oil check valve backwards, the engine hasn't been the same since. <br /><br />The engine blew and the powerhead was replaced in August of that year, but it still runs like crap at lower speeds and constantly fouls plugs even to this day!!! <br /><br />Someone mentioned in another post that a bad sensor could cause overoilling, so I thought maybe I could get the software and see if I could put my pea-sized brain to work and figure it out. Any thoughts on this possible sensor problem?

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

If you are still using the recommended 7712 Champion plugs, try using QC12PEP plugs, the same as the big block motors. This is assuming you still have the '97 heads. Those motor did not and could not use the new pinned heads that the later upgrade kits consisted of.<br /><br />Use FICHT Ram (now XD-50) oil and make sure the motor is propped to run around 5500 with a full tank of fuel.<br /><br />With the diagnostic software, check all temp senders to make sure they are reading correctly.<br /><br />Have the oil pressure checked to make sure there is no restriction or regulator malfunction and use an infrared temp gun on each cylinder head to make sure it is around 140 at idle.

bucky4

Seaman Apprentice

Originally posted by seahorse:<br /> If you are still using the recommended 7712 Champion plugs, try using QC12PEP plugs, the same as the big block motors. This is assuming you still have the '97 heads. Those motor did not and could not use the new pinned heads that the later upgrade kits consisted of.<br /><br />Use FICHT Ram (now XD-50) oil and make sure the motor is propped to run around 5500 with a full tank of fuel.<br /><br />With the diagnostic software, check all temp senders to make sure they are reading correctly.<br /><br />Have the oil pressure checked to make sure there is no restriction or regulator malfunction and use an infrared temp gun on each cylinder head to make sure it is around 140 at idle.
Thank you seahorse for your reply.<br /><br />I stopped using the Champion plugs years ago when someone recommended NGK. I don't recall the plug #, but NGKs have been in it for years. The plugs don't foul as bad as before, but, nevertheless, still do.<br /><br />Since the motor is an early 97, but the powerhead was replaced in August of 98, I don't know if I have pinned heads or not. I saw a thread once that showed pics of a dismantled engine with pinned heads, but without tearing my engine apart, how can I tell?<br /><br />Motor runs about 5300-5400 WOT. (Top end has never been a problem.)<br /><br />Never tried the XD-50. I've tried every other "fix" without success, so it can't hurt to give it a go.<br /><br />Gotta buy the software and find an old laptop with DOS.<br /><br />I have access to a temp gun, so that is doable.<br /><br />Is the oil pressure/regulator check something I can do without special tools? <br /><br />Thanks again.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

You can check oil pressure by screwing a gauge in where the oil pressure switch is on the oil pump.<br /><br />An article on indexing plugs also shows how to check to see if you have the updated pinned heads can be seen at:<br /><br /> http://www.boatsetup.com/PlgIndexing.html <br /><br />If you have pinned heads, then use the recommended Champ XC12PEP plugs.

bucky4

Seaman Apprentice

Okie dokie seahorse. Do you have a pressure range for the gauge? What about thread size for the oil press. switch? (Sorry, but I'm at work and can borrow the stuff from here. Unfortunately, I don't have a clue to what is needed.)<br /><br />Thanks for the link. Great info. I now know that I don't have pinned heads. Can I still use the XC12PEP plugs?

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

1/8-NPT thread - 6-20 psi at all speeds. Best not to exceed 12 psi on your engine. Most run around 8-10 psi.<br /><br /><br />Use the QC12PEP plug since you say your motor does NOT have pinned heads. See if you get better plug life.

bucky4

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks seahorse for making the job a lot easier. One more question. How is the oil pressure adjusted?

bollard

Seaman

The FICHT diagnostic software v. 1.42 is DOS based and is designed for 2002 and older engines.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by iez44:<br /> Thanks seahorse for making the job a lot easier. One more question. How is the oil pressure adjusted?
If it's too high, you have a restriction in the return line or a bad pressure regulator.<br /><br />If it's too low, you have a restriction in the intake line, weak pump, or a bad pressure regulator.

bucky4

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks again for all your help seahorse. I'll check it out and let you know what I find.