Project "1600 Capri Hard Top" has begun!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Project "1600 Capri Hard Top" has begun!

Yeah Why didn't you just buy one? Tell your wife I said that :D :p

Wow looks great. I have waiting to see that exact picture and I am sure you feel great too.

So what's next? When is the big splash date?

Congratulations on a great job. Have you considered adding an accent stripe to match the blue accents on the boat?

Off topic - I spoke with a man from VT who might pm you.... he picked up an older MFG and I told him you were the man ;)

keepNitreel

Chief Petty Officer

Mark, that really looks great man!

redfury

Commander

Looks great Mark. I agree that it needs an accent of some sort...Perhaps something that can create a "line" around it... Perhaps a blue line..you could run it through the side glass from the crease under the windows up front.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Yeah Why didn't you just buy one? Tell your wife I said that :D :p

Wow looks great. I have waiting to see that exact picture and I am sure you feel great too.

So what's next? When is the big splash date?

Congratulations on a great job. Have you considered adding an accent stripe to match the blue accents on the boat?

Off topic - I spoke with a man from VT who might pm you.... he picked up an older MFG and I told him you were the man ;)

Thanks Bob! No problem with helping someone out with their MFG.

A few details and should be in the water on the 4th, weather permitting!

I sat for a while as I posted those pictures. Then I got up and realized every muscle in my legs and arms ache from working this thing like a mad man for the last two days! Ouch! I could use a Perkoset or two!

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I think a dark blue stripe would work too. There is enough space under the side windows to run one starting at the front and widen it to about 2 inches at the rear. Mabye a double pin stripe at the top would be nice too. I would then remove the 5 or 6 blue pin stripes on the side. I think that would make it less busy looking.

jonesg

Admiral

A few details...

Added these stainless steel window latches to keep the windows from vibrating open while on the highway and also during rough water. And a simple black ball knob to slide the window open/closed. Yeah, the glass needs cleaning :D.

8931.jpg

Finally got to installing the gas springs to hold the windshield open. The windshield weighs about 12 lbs total, so I ordered a 20 lbs spring. After sitting open for about 3 or 4 minutes, it fell closed. I realize its not strong enough to hold the windshield open even on mildly rolling water. So Monday its a call to Whitecap Industries and ask if the springs can be returned for a stronger set. Probably 30 or 40 lb springs.

8933.jpg

You may need to install one strut on each side, one isn't going to do it, a bigger strut will just strain the hinge on the opposite side.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

You may need to install one strut on each side, one isn't going to do it, a bigger strut will just strain the hinge on the opposite side.

Yep, already did that! Doubled up the struts on the port side and it works great.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Worked on the boat all day again and got a lot done:

- Installed twist latches for windshield windows.
- Hung new steering cable with plastic hangers.
- Installed gas tank, made all connections, filled and started outboard. Ran like a top! I don't know what oil the previous owner gave me, but it smoked a lot compared to the Walmart TCW3 I used today. I'm dumping the case of old Merc bottles that he filled from a larger container.
- Removed the garboard drain and sealed the exposed ply. I was astonished at what I found. Read about it in this post: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?p=2178807#post2178807
- Bolted the seats back in.
- Found the main fuse was cracked and corroded so a new fuse holder is in order.

I'm done resting. Time to go back out and run the shop vac over the inside and do some more cleanup.

Should be packed and leaving for LI tomorrow evening.

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

Its really hot outside. So I stopped and put on the AC and will wait until things cool a bit outside before going back to work.

You have a AC that cools the outside?? You should sell it to Al Gore!!!

redfury

Commander

don't forget to pack the camera!:D

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

don't forget to pack the camera!:D

Oh yeah, we got digital and video ready. We are in Sag Harbor, NY and it hasn't stopped raining since we got here. Grrrrrr.:mad:

fishingdan

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Nice job Mark. Any guess as to how much it weighs?

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Nice job Mark. Any guess as to how much it weighs?

The top with 1/4" tempered glass windows weighed in at 98 lbs. (60lbs for top, 38 lbs for the glass).

The OEM Capri windshield and side glass weighs 47 lbs. That gives a net gain of 51 lbs to the boat, which is really a rather small increase in weight for a hard top.

It may grow another 10 lbs or so depending on what head liner gets installed to finish off the interior.

bear_69cuda

Commander

Well done Mark!

That looks like it came that way factory!

You rule!

Tinted windows look awesome, I agree a stripe would tie the hull with the top... But either way it looks great! Have any inside shots?

drewpster

Commander

Hey Mark? You ready to start on mine yet? :D
Hear you guys are getting drenched this year. Hope we get some shots of her floating after the monsoon lets up.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Drewp

get in line, I already sent him the prints for mine.

jcsercsa

Captain

Excellent Mark !!!! Frist class Job !!!! and thats really light !!! too cool , cant wait to see the video !!!! John

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Hey Guys! Greetings from Sag Harbor, NY! Got a couple of pics of the boat on the water, but not in motion.

First impressions were just great! The boat didn't handle funny at all with the top on. I was afraid of leaning in turns or some other odd behavior, but I really couldn't tell the difference between the hard top and the Navy top.

Standing at the helm the view is good, but sitting the windshield could be lower. Might raise the seats a few inches to compensate. The side windows are nice and big, and it was really great having standing room inside the hard top.

Today was the first trip, and we were close to the load limit of the boat (5 people or 750lbs). I had myself, wife, my daughter, and son, and my three nephews (these are all small kids). We totaled 600 lbs so we were within the weight of the boat, plus the top. The boat did have a little trouble getting on plane but running WOT for a few moments took care of that. Later when we hit smooth water and ran WOT, it only reached 35 mph. I ran 40mph with just me in the boat two years ago. I won't be able to run with the top and just me for a few days, but I don't think there will be much loss of speed.

It was really nice to be able to stand, move around and not feel cramped even though we were all in a little 16 ft boat!

IMG_1731.jpg

IMG_1733.jpg

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Mark It looks great, glad to hear it handles fine..........

it kept reminding me of something throughout the project

I couldn't quite pin it down......

then it hit me.....

It reminds me of the Popemobile:D
Popemobile%20BBC%20image.jpg

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

No wonder everyone was waving at us! They thought this was the Pope-boat!

We really did get a lot of looks. Especially from the guys on the big fishing boats.