in trouble with the fishermen

bandit86

Banned
where i dock the boat, it's a 5 minute ride to lake eerie through a narrow channel. at the mouth of it, there are always hundreds (well, maybe 50)of fishermen sitting on the dock, yelling at boaters to use the other side of the channel, middle is not good enough. This one fat sob even threatened to throw sinkers at me while I was trying to manage my boat in the wind and current. Whats's the proper procedure on this? I was thinking nex time I'll do a wide open run once free of the no wake zone (just kidding) or I could just yell back profanities, but I'm not the only one this happens to

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral
Re: in trouble with the fishermen

Courtsey would have you yield as much distance as possible and pass with just enough power to maintain safe steerage.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Replying in kind is a mistake.

Offer a couple a ride. That should embarrass them all.

tashasdaddy

yeah, DJC, here you'd end up with an assault charge, with a weapon. and the creep would own your boat.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Deck gun. See, my arguement for deck gun's is becoming more obvious. When people used to try that I would act as if I had a hearing loss and pull in closer.

deejaycee_2000

Captain

hahahahaha, I forgot that in US everyone sew each other for little reason ... luckily we are still old fashioned where you settle it with the fists or a wheel spanner ... it just soo much more fun

tashasdaddy

luckily , the ramp i use the most, the fisherman are very cooperative, they are willing to move there lines so we can manover, and go back to fishing. they like to fish at the end of the dock, and realize we have to dock on one side and bring the boats around to the other to load. by polite, and get it back.

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

Give them as much room as you safely can. If it is still a problem, get some other boaters together who are having the same problems and try to have them resolved via City Council. We used to have the same kinds of problems at the ramps around here - until the fishers started acting just like that. Now they have to fish elsewhere...

Dave Abrahamson

Lieutenant

Do ya know how to throw a rooster tail with the motor tilted up? ;)

deejaycee_2000

Captain

hahaha, good one Dave ... i'm sure the fisherman would love that ;)

aspeck

Staff member

Bad Dave, Bad! But I like your train of thought! HA!

bigbad 4cyl x2

Petty Officer 1st Class

ACTUALY THE FBI WILL GET INVOLVED IF YOU SHOOT AN UNKNOWN PERSON/vehical with a paint ball gun ... it happened in anchorage ak.kids went out with paint ball guns lighting people up and the fbi got involved . and then they explained why and that they had to every time etc ... no mater how small etc.

bandit86

Banned

the boats I saw were heading out, all at least in the middle or further over, so I fallowed their path.

The channel is maybe 60 -70 feet across with god knows what underwater obstacles as the river is quite shallow most of the way, I hear it gets dredged every spring and is dumped by the dredger right at the mouth of the river, there is a red buoy about 120 feet out, I was told after dredging, the water level was only about a ft deep beyond the line of the buoy.

calwldlif

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't get the problem?
Here on the "west" coast
fisherman like boats to come by,
it is possible to chase the fish twords
the hooks. I just look for lines and
keep from running them over.
Most wave and drool over the ability to
go out on the water to fish.
You got a rough crowd there,
stupid too...........

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Offer to take the biggest offender out fishing with you. Head out to an island or sand bar and then suggest you get out and stretch a little. Jump back in the boat, pull back a little and offer an ultimatum -- you and your loud mouth cronies shut up and fish and I'll take you back. Create a fuss and you can wait for your buddies to come pick you up. Of course this only works if you are bigger than he is, his bark is bigger than his bite, and well -- maybe its best just left alone.

KYHunter2

Chief Petty Officer

If they choose to fish in an area , thats as you describe.

All you can do is get over as far as possible ,without getting too shallow.

If they continue to make threats ,.

See if you can't get a fish and wildlife officer to go for a ride with you.

This day and age , most any threat of violence , can result in a terroristic threatening charge.

The lakes I fish, have big barges, that come through all the time.

I love it when they do ,as the fish often begin to bite after they pass.

I guess it stirs up the critters , and the fish start feeding again.

KYHunter

NBE

Petty Officer 1st Class

Same down here as far as the barges are concerned. Everytime when out catfishing and a tug with barges passes by, the catfish start biting like crazy.

I say just tip your hat, wave, and smile at them. Oh, and toot your horn at them too. Most are probably pissed that they are confined to a pier and are not out in a boat like you are.

Chunder06

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just trail a three pronged hook and sinker on some heavy duty line, who knows you might even end up with some new fishing gear.