Smart Tabs or Bennett Self-Leveling Tabs

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Smart Tabs or Bennett Self-Leveling Tabs

I put Bennett Hydraulic trim tabs on my old inboard outboard v hull bowrider. It was the best $400 I ever spent.

What I liked best is when I would be at a fast cruise and coming up on some big waves. I could drop the nose down in 2 seconds, plow through the waves, trim the front end back up and get back up to speed. Tabs make the boat ride like it's 5 feet longer.

Another big plus is that when you get too many [people] sitting on one side, you can level the boat side to side. You can also plane the boat off at 10 mph for a slow, leisurely sightseeing cruise.

I think every full hulled fiberglass boat (not bass boats) should be equipped with hydraulic tabs standard.

Last edited by a moderator:

jestor68

Commander

yeah, i took it off last year and tried to run power to it - seemed like it was not kicking. i just ordered smart tabs, will see how they perform, i have 30 days to return from iboats :)

Better check the return policy. I doubt you can return them once you have installed them.

After that, you'll likely be dealing with the manufacturer(satisfaction or your money back?).

_vn_

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Better check the return policy. I doubt you can return them once you have installed them.

After that, you'll likely be dealing with the manufacturer(satisfaction or your money back?).

I always buy things like that on Amex - they never failed to stand up for their paying customer ;) plus on anything i buy on it i get additional 3 months of return i believe ;)
But i really hope i won't have to return them and from what i am reading they seem to be working for everyone who doesnt expect miracles. I wanted inexpensive and quick solution to a problem - i will see in couple of weeks when i get to install them!

Thanks to all for comments!

QC

Supreme Mariner

I put Bennett Hydraulic trim tabs on my old inboard outboard v hull bowrider. It was the best $400 I ever spent.

What I liked best is when I would be at a fast cruise and coming up on some big waves. I could drop the nose down in 2 seconds, plow through the waves, trim the front end back up and get back up to speed. Tabs make the boat ride like it's 5 feet longer.

Another big plus is that when you get too many [people] sitting on one side, you can level the boat side to side. You can also plane the boat off at 10 mph for a slow, leisurely sightseeing cruise.

I think every full hulled fiberglass boat (not bass boats) should be equipped with hydraulic tabs standard.
This is EXACTLY my position on helm adjustable tabs. Other than budget, which is always important, they are the single most valuable tool you will ever add to your boat other than propulsion. Ok, steering is pretty cool too.

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

jestor68;

Our Performance Guaranty is simple, we will refund the purchase price of the Smart Tabs if the customer is unsatisfied with the results and or improvements based on the claims that we make regarding improvements. We only ask that the customer has purchased the correct product for his application and allow us to make recommended adjustments. This guaranty is included in every kit we sell and can be obtained in advance of purchase if desired.

In nearly all cases we find that the model purchased is not appropriate for the application, and in these cases we exchange the necessary components at no charge.

The guaranty is not a gimmick, it is a statement of our confidence in our product and commitment to our customers satisfaction.

We understand that there are too many companies who promote a "guaranty" without commitment. We are not one of them.

As noted, Bennett has developed a stellar reputation for customer service which we applaud, and we do our best to insure our customers get everything they deserve.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

Speaking from experience, smart tabs and the more conventional hydraulic/electric tabs are two different products, with two different sets of benefits that overlap in areas.

I installed smarttabs on my previous boat, they made a stunning positive change in every way to the hull, and this was on a jetboat even. (nauticus is officially very cautious about smarttabs on a jet) It jumped on plane, handled better, but the best part was that it literally rode like it had shock absorbers! This boat had no problem getting airborne, and it felt like it had shocks cushioning it on landing. The ride prior was brutal.

Current boat (also a jet) has a single hydraulic ride plate, which is essentially a big trim tab. I can push the nose down when I need to, or in general control it as needed. It does NOT have the shock absorbing capabilities that the smarttabs have, when I get this boat airborne the landing still hurts! (and it is actually a bigger/heavier hull)

(as a side note, if I get a chance to experiment a little this summer, I am tossing around the idea of adding a small sealed cylinder onto the hydraulic lines, done so in a way it traps an air pocket. Essentially I want to replicate both the shock absorbing feature of the smarttabs with the control of the hydraulic system.)

Just installed a set of the Bennett SLT 10s on my boat this week.... Will be out for a test run on the weekend. Will post my thoughts afterwards!

Tabman

iboats.com Partner

Just installed a set of the Bennett SLT 10s on my boat this week.... Will be out for a test run on the weekend. Will post my thoughts afterwards!

That's great! If you have any questions over the weekend let me know.

Tabman

iboats.com Partner

We have always preferred not to compare our products to other brands on any of the boating forums since we are biased. We would rather answer technical questions, application inquiries as well as troubleshooting advice.

We leave the "who's got the better product" input up to boaters who have used the equipment out on the water. We strongly feel that "hawking" our products on any of the forums is to be avoided.

We will always be delighted to let you know about our features.

The SLTs are very robust and suitable for saltwater use as well as fresh and are warranted for 5 years (same as our hydraulic systems).

The amount of lift the generate may be adjusted by the position of the actuator on the Trim Plane and / or using different springs.

If you have any specific questions please let me know and I will be happy to cover them for you.

Last edited:

That's great! If you have any questions over the weekend let me know.

Here's a couple pics of the install. Took around an hour....

Attachments

• tabs1.jpg
    tabs1.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 2
  • tabs2.jpg
    tabs2.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 1

Tabman

iboats.com Partner

Great Lakes Boater,

Looks good!

What type of boat do you have?

Finally got out on the water yesterday to test them out. Night &day difference to the way my boat handles, carved right through waves/wakes I would have previously bounced over. No porpoising, & greatly reduced pounding, which is what I was hoping for. In short, in my opinion they do everything it says on the tin!

Tom: Thanks for your responses to my posts, much appreciated. I do have a question for you: Will Bennett be selling replacement parts? Wondering if it will be possible to replace the springs when they eventually wear out?
Thanks, Richard

MRS

Commander

The amount of lift they generate may be adjusted by the position of the actuator on the Trim Plane? So you can adjust for more or less if needed I am ready to pull the lever on these SLT 10s 19ft. 4.3 stern drive #2500 empty.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Yes, and if too low or too high after adjustment, Nauticus will swap out the cylinders for lower or higher pressure units.

MRS

Commander

Hey QC, Thanks for the reply but I was thinking on the Bennetts on the tab plate it self can you move the actuator to adjust for more or less. I know both units are good but looks like the bennetts will fit better and been pulling MRS. and her friends on a 3 person tube so need all the lift I can get.:joyous:

Last edited:

QC

Supreme Mariner

Hey man,

Don't know enough about the Bennett "passive" tabs. Maybe call them?

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

Hi MRS;

The pressure adjustment on Bennett and Smart Tabs are significantly different. When adjusting the Bennett system the trim plate
deployed angle is also adjusted. If you want more pressure the trim plate is pushed down to the 25 degree position (same as the hydraulic system). However, the maximum lift pressure occurs only at full compression, which means that at slower speeds the lift is less. When the actuator is is adjusted for less pressure the deployed angle is reduced from the 25 degrees.

The "industry" standard for the fully deployed angle on conventional trim tabs is approximately 25 degrees. This provides the best lift at slow speeds without inhibiting forward acceleration. Adjusting the deployed angle to less that 25 degrees will compromise initial lift during acceleration.

The lift adjustment on Smart Tabs does not change the deployed angle (25 degrees), it only changes the leverage position and therefore the resistance or lift pressure. Note: Deployed angle can the adjusted via the top actuator mounting position if desired. Additionally, since the gas actuator does not incorporate a coil spring the lift pressure remains nearly the same throughout the entire compression stroke. Therefore if the actuator is adjusted to provide 65 Lbs of resistance during acceleration then the resistance at cruising speeds when the plate is retracted is 65 lbs. or close to it. This avoids excessive lift when the boat is on plane and running at speed. Excessive stern lift creates a bow down effect which can reduce top speed, create listing (to port side), and bow steering ( this is often the case with Hydrofoils).

MRS

Commander

Jdeagro, Thanks for the reply learned I will not change angle on the tabs. Looks like smart tabs are gas and the bennetts are springs so now I will have to re measure my transom and see witch way I what to go Thank you again I have learned a lot reading your replies to other post here.

Tabman

iboats.com Partner

Finally got out on the water yesterday to test them out. Night &day difference to the way my boat handles, carved right through waves/wakes I would have previously bounced over. No porpoising, & greatly reduced pounding, which is what I was hoping for. In short, in my opinion they do everything it says on the tin!

Tom: Thanks for your responses to my posts, much appreciated. I do have a question for you: Will Bennett be selling replacement parts? Wondering if it will be possible to replace the springs when they eventually wear out?
Thanks, Richard

Sorry for the delay in responding, I was in the hospital for the last month. Like all Bennett products all components are available for sale or under warranty.

It's worth noting that it is basically the same spring we use to retract our standard Trim Tabs and in 15 years I have never seen one wear out.

Tom