88 Bayliner Trophy 1710 - wet foam and ...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arawak

Chief Petty Officer
Slow going lately. On the weekend I'll be bedding the primary stringers. Spent some time last night planning it out.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Yea right....Slow Going..Ho Ho Ho.lol If I had half your speed or like some of the others on this forum I've had like 3 boats done already! Nice work!

Arawak

Chief Petty Officer
Yesterday I spent about 4hrs getting the first set of stringers bedded in:

IMG_2641.JPG
IMG_2652.JPG

IMG_2643.JPG

Arawak

Chief Petty Officer
I always think this is going to take less time than it does. :)

So, I mixed up my PB with wood flour, colloidal silica, and chopped glass fibres. For the most part there was little sagging, but I do have one section where I think the batch of PB was low on fibres. Spent about 1/3 gallon of epoxy.

They went in together, attached via braces that kept them parallel and upright. Worked well, although it was a bit hard to get the edges wet.

Arawak

Chief Petty Officer
Here's a shot with the next set of stringers resting in place, and the template for the support that the tub rests on.

IMG_2659.JPG

Arawak

Chief Petty Officer
And with the tank. Originally, the tank was much closer to the transom, but I'm moving it about 16" forward.

IMG_2661.JPG

IMG_2666.JPG

IMG_2668.JPG

alldodge

Staff member
Have any rubber on top the wood under the tank? Also what is the green line made of coming from the tank?

fisheymikey

Chief Petty Officer
Awesome progress!!

keep it up! must feel good wen you laid down those stringers!

Arawak

Chief Petty Officer
The wood is just there to prop it close to the final position for now. Haven't figured out what exactly the support system will be. There will be a 1/2 PVC pipe glassed in underneath the tank to connect the bilge on either side of the fuel tank compartment.

The green line is the ground wire.

alldodge

Staff member
Another question: Moving the tank forward is changing the center of gravity, probably no biggy, nay help. With it going forward what are you going to use the rear of it for, regular bilge area?

Arawak

Chief Petty Officer
Yes, the primary purpose is to shift some weight forward, as it was sitting pretty low in the back with three guys and a full tank of gas. Obviously a lot of that was wet foam and wood, but I think it's partially design. This hull was primarily sold in the Capri, with the people weight further forward than on mine. The Trophy CC seems to have been an afterthought.

Some day I'll have to replace the FrankenChrysler (250lbs) with a newer motor, and the lightest 90-115HP is around 320lbs. So having a bit of weight forward will help offset that.

Secondly, the bilge area was tiny, barely big enough for the little bilge pump that was in it, and certainly not big enough for the bigger one I plan to add.

I will have to get the fuel fill replaced/modified with a 60 degree one, though.

jc55

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Good move on moving the tank forward. You can glass in a false floor under your tank like many boats do, to allow water to flow below, yet have the tank compartment isolated from the bilge. You're making some good progress!

fisheymikey

Chief Petty Officer
Arawak,

there is one thing you might want to consider. the access to the tank threw the boat deck cover will be impossible to have any maintenance or even if you do the connections.

i also want to move the tank a little forward but maybe a 1or 2 inches

just my 2cents

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
looks good! It sure is a good feeling to get forward progress.

Arawak

Chief Petty Officer
Good move on moving the tank forward. You can glass in a false floor under your tank like many boats do, to allow water to flow below, yet have the tank compartment isolated from the bilge. You're making some good progress!

That's my plan... before, the bilge water slopped around the tank, but I want the tank compartment sealed.

fisheymikey said:
there is one thing you might want to consider. the access to the tank threw the boat deck cover will be impossible to have any maintenance or even if you do the connections.

Yeah, I thought about that. Really, the only two reasons I could see myself needing access to the tank are dead fuel sender and leaking tank. I bought a new sender, so hopefully that insures against that. The tank will be glassed over with epoxy as mentioned earlier, which should prevent that.

At the end of the day, taking the cap off is not the end of the world, but I think it's unlikely I'll need to do that.

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I have lost track of the hours that I have stood in the shop just looking at the boat.:facepalm:

Status
Not open for further replies.